PDA

View Full Version : What is Cdminst & What does it do?

ddob
25-09-2002, 05:14 AM
Hi,
Running a partitioned Hard drive. Its 40gb with 2 20gb partitions.
On 1 partitions It has WindowsME, the other has WindowsXP Pro.
My problems is that every time I start up and try to start windowsme
I get an error message that states the Cdminst is playing up and the program will now close. I have deleted this, and have tried to reload windowsme but it just hangs in the windows is now setting up any plug and play hardware you may have phase. It's bugging me no end and I'm at witz end as to how to get back to windows me. Hoping that someone might be able to help with this one.
Many Thanks,
Danny

Mike
25-09-2002, 09:42 AM
Hi ddob,

Just a quick search on Google nabbed a couple of ideas, mostly from this site:

http://www.experts-exchange.com/win98/Q_20183579.html

Suggestions that it could be an overclocked CPU, or perhaps faulty RAM.

What I'd like to know though is which Windows version you installed first, and onto which partitions?

Mike.

Graham L
25-09-2002, 04:38 PM
You have a problem. A multibooting system like yours needs WinME installed first, then WinXP. Have you read the FAQ on "Multibooting Windows"? (see the button at the top right hand corner of this page --- it's FAQ 2).

ddob
25-09-2002, 08:54 PM
Thanks for the help guy's.
Computer - Amd K6 533 overclocked to 550, 256 mb pc1oo ram, Leadtek Winfast 32mb video card, Creative soundblaster 5.1. Bus speed 100mzh
Motherboard - Microstar MS-5169 Bios version 3-7.
Seagate 40gb Harddrive.
1st Partion Win Me - Has been on computer for about 6 months.
2nd Partion Win XP Pro - has been on computer for about 2 weeks.
The problem on exists when I try and get into Windows Me - Have no problems with XP.
Thanks,
Danny

Mike
25-09-2002, 10:35 PM
Try clocking it down to it's normal speed (533 to 550 isn't worth the hassle anyway) and see if it makes a difference.

Mike.

ddob
29-09-2002, 06:44 PM
Hi Mike,
Did what you suggested and even read the article you referenced to but still no joy.
Even uninstalled windowsme and tried to reload it this arvo but when it gets to the bit were windows will now search for any hardware etc it come up with the same error message. Any other ideas Please.
Many Thanks,
Danny

Mike
29-09-2002, 08:02 PM
Have you installed ME before installing XP??? ME needs to be installed first, then XP second.

Mike.