PDA

View Full Version : PressF1 displaying posts incorrectly???

Jen C
24-09-2002, 10:56 PM
I have noticed tonight that several posts when opened do not display properly. No body else seems to be complaining so I assume that the problem is with me. One post when opened showed no post body at all ... only the PC header stuff and the Forum Home | Register | Log-in links at the bottom of the page ?:|. I made a screenshot of that one and posted it off to the webmaster thinking that it was only that post (now does open properly couple of hours later anyway) but now another post is being weird.

The poll on Fight club vs Lock stock is all over the place. The thread history (or whatever it is called) at the top has the Re: very OT - Fight club etc squashed at the far left of the page, the user name is centred, and the date/time flattened on the far right side with lots of white areas between. The actual post and replies displayed below look normal.

Is anybody else seeing this? Have I joined Susan and lost my marbles (she reported a different display error earlier on the "parents printer" thread)

I have tried both OE6 and Opera 6.5, ditched the cookies, and emptied out the temp internet file which has made no difference. I haven't changed any settings but Opera 6.5 is new (been running 2-3 days with no problems).

?:| Jen

Chilling_Silence
24-09-2002, 10:59 PM
I'm fine, but check the Billy T's worst enemie's are back or something post. Where's that sticky post of Bruce's when ya need it?

Personally though, All 4 PC's I've used it on today are diplaying it fine!

Cheers

Chilling_Silence

JamesStewart
24-09-2002, 11:02 PM
Hey, I have noticed that to BUT it is a server thing I think. Just wait 1/2-1 minute abd the page loads. Gets anoying but hey, they do a good enough job already don't they?

Jester
24-09-2002, 11:25 PM
Thank god it's not just me.

I replied to a post earlier about Paradise's connection speed, saying I haven't had any problems, then received an email to say the thread had been updated, and the post was blank when it finally loaded. I thought I had put the knock on myself!

J.
:D

Billy T
24-09-2002, 11:48 PM
Ummmmmmm :8}

I was afraid to say this before because my archaic computer and IE5.0 do do funny things........BUT

I think the greebnchs are back :O

I have been experiencing odd display faults on F1 that have not shown up anywhere else. I get odd characters turining up in the list of posts and the Forum header has been going haywire.

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :D :D :D

Baldy
25-09-2002, 12:20 AM
> I have been experiencing odd display faults on F1
> that have not shown up anywhere else. I get odd
> characters turining up in the list of posts and the
> Forum header has been going haywire.
>
> Cheers
>
> Billy 8-{) :D :D :D

Quite ironic in a computer help forum LOL

godfather
25-09-2002, 12:28 AM
What problems?

[Edited by: admin on Sep 25, 2002 9:55 AM]

Jester
25-09-2002, 12:43 AM
Now I have to scroll way over there ---->
to read the earlier posts.

Anyone for tennis? ;-)

-=JM=-
25-09-2002, 12:45 AM
Well I had this (http://geek.orcon.net.nz/pressf1/1.PNG)

sal
25-09-2002, 01:04 AM
argh, thats not good, but im not far off that at the moment

how bout we all chip in and get vBulletin :D, or phpbb, hmm, hang on, i already suggested that and got a prompt 'no', oh well

grtz sal.
tga

Lucifer
25-09-2002, 01:10 AM
mmmmmmmmmmmeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee tttttttttttttttttttttooooooooooooooooo

-=JM=-
25-09-2002, 01:30 AM
all forum software can have their problems.

Chris Wilson
25-09-2002, 01:41 AM
When i put my 2 worth on the paradise speed post, press f1 went down to a crawl..
I thought it was paradise, but everything else i looked at was fine.

Vince
25-09-2002, 03:03 AM
I to am reading posts that are 3 times as wide as my screen.

When I posted to the one on Paradise speeds, I got traped
in some Java error. I ended up posting it twice because I didn't
knowthat it had gone through the first time.

Iris
25-09-2002, 09:00 AM
This posting ( I seem to need a screen much larger than I've got to be able to ready it properly)

and the one further down from Sal about F1 not having ads etc (I just get a blank page, although there seem to be at least 5 replies)

are the only ones not displaying properly for me

Windows 98SE IE 6

Iris

Baldy
25-09-2002, 10:45 AM
[B]Kiwiatas did say there was going to be a virus released on the Western World from somewhere in the Middle East, round the 25th which would have a devastating effect on all free speech forums....... well not quite LOL[B]

I blame it all on George DoubleU Bush, myself

honeylaser
25-09-2002, 11:01 AM
> I blame it all on George DoubleU Bush, myself

Language! Isn't it traditional to replace swear words with **** or !@#$%?

Susan B
25-09-2002, 11:01 AM
Yes Billy, your greebnchs and bubnchs have multiplied with catastrophic results!

I thought I was losing my marbles a couple of days ago but I managed to keep them stuffed in my ears, bar one or two that I can't reach under the fridge but I won't worry about those, for now.

Here's (http://mscandy.orcon.net.nz/desktop2.html) another example of what I thought were my hallucinations earlier in the week, but which has happened again. Note how sam m's post is inside Jester's table! :O :O

O Lordy, don't tell me Bruce is losing his grip up there on the flight deck!

Susan B
25-09-2002, 11:08 AM
ARGHHHH!!!

And another reply has gone inside that table as well: modem thread (http://pressf1.co.nz/thread.jsp?forum=1&thread=25352).

That must be how they are multiplying - Bruce, separate them, quick!! :O

Baldy
25-09-2002, 11:25 AM
Maybe Kerry did something as a joke when she left IDG to go to Xtra.....

Baldy
25-09-2002, 11:31 AM
> ARGHHHH!!!
>
> And another reply has gone inside that table as well:
> modem thread (http://pressf1.co.nz/thread.jsp?forum=1&thread=25
> 52).
>
> That must be how they are multiplying - Bruce,
> separate them, quick!! :O

[B]Wonder if he posts a thread on this forum on how to fix it[B]

-=JM=-
25-09-2002, 12:50 PM
> Maybe Kerry did something as a joke when she left IDG
> to go to Xtra.....

Most probably.

Biggles
25-09-2002, 12:54 PM
> > ARGHHHH!!!
> >
> > And another reply has gone inside that table as
> well:
> >
> modem thread (http://pressf1.co.nz/thread.jsp?forum=1&thread=25
>
> > 52).
> >
> > That must be how they are multiplying - Bruce,
> > separate them, quick!! :O
>
> [B]Wonder if he posts a thread on this forum on how
> to fix it[B]

Sorry - apart from Susan's screenshot, we can't see the problem at this end. How often is this happneing to you guys?

Susan B
25-09-2002, 01:05 PM
Noooooo, don't tell me those little monsters are only on my machine! :O

Bruce, that's the second time I've seen this happen. The first time was on Monday and I can't find the thread now. Maybe it fixed itself, but that "modem" thread is still like it.

Can anyone else see it like in my screenshot?

Kerry Dodds
25-09-2002, 02:14 PM
I heard that, Baldy... don't think so!!!

more like 'user error' ]:)

nah, just a glitch in the system from what Mary has posted.

Graham L
25-09-2002, 02:49 PM
Yes it's happening. It will probably always happen. The pages we see are dynamically generated from the data base. If the database is being updated at the time your request comes in, some records it needs could be locked, so they can't be accessed. A second or so later, a repeated request will give you the page properly. I'm sure there is a way to make the requests queue up, but it could (would?) slow everything down. ;-)

I often see 404 errors ... I just try again. I've seen this "just the header and trailer" pages in the last day or so. I just try again.

More of a problem is the odd things which appear in the [ u r l ] blah [ / u r l ] conversions. That's some imperfection in the Java code. Doubtless it will be fixed. One day.

Mary H
25-09-2002, 04:01 PM
Susan, what version of IE are you using?

Susan B
25-09-2002, 04:14 PM
Version 5.5 Mary, with SP2.

If it means anything here is the full number: 5.50.4807.2300IC

Chilling_Silence
25-09-2002, 04:24 PM
*Starts mutering Profanity about Pf1*
Okay, It's now REALLY crawling to a halt, On 2MBPS CABLE! It's not meant to do that!!!
It was going like CR@P on Ie 6, but then I switched to Lotus Notes and it when same speed as usual for about 30 seonds of surfing, then Pf1 Slowed right down in Notes too.
PLEASE SOMEBODY (hint hint admin) SAVE PRESS F1 FROM THIS TORTUROUS DEATH!

Chilling_Silence

Susan B
25-09-2002, 04:38 PM
There has been no change in PF1's speed on my PC and connection, Chill. You had better suss out what's wrong at your end.

The only probs I've been having are display of some threads but they seem to be behaving now (touchwood).

Er, well I just got a 404 Page Not Found error when I clicked on Post Message just then......... :O

godfather
25-09-2002, 04:43 PM
Very noticeable slow down on Jetstream, a bit like being on dial-up!

Babe Ruth
25-09-2002, 04:47 PM
Hmmm, Oh dear so what happened at 15:40 today to PressF1:
<html><head><title>Apache Tomcat/4.0.3 - Error report
</title><STYLE><!--H1{font-family : sans-serif,Arial,
Tahoma;color : white;background-color : #0086b2;}
BODY{font-family : sans-serif,Arial,Tahoma;
color : black;background-color : white;}
B{color : white;background-color : #0086b2;}
HR{color : #0086b2;} --></style>
</head><body><h1>Apache Tomcat/4.0.3 -
HTTP Status 503 - This application is not currently available
</h1><HR size="1" noshade>

type
Status report</p>

message <u>This application is not currently available</u></p>

description
<u>The requested service (This application is not currently available) is not currently available.</u></p>
<HR size="1" noshade></body></html>
felt deprived I did for a couple of minutes... Babe.

Graham L
25-09-2002, 04:50 PM
I think it was down for a few moments Susan. Can't blame it. Poor PressF1. :_| People keep criticising it. So it goes into the corner and sulks. But being an intelligent organism, it has a way to retaliate. It knows about psedorandom deterministic sequences, so it just exclusive-ors a bit pattern with each request. ]:) I love anthropomorphism. (And I can even spell it).

Bruce: I put in a link using the [ u r l = ... in the thread "Linux/XP problems" on Sep 19 (thread 25097). The magic included "<fontstyle=background-color= ...." into it, which makes the link work "not very well". And I'd gone to the trouble of giving an informative label to the link rather than "here". ;-)

Susan B
25-09-2002, 04:57 PM
Oh, so my post did go through! I tried two or three times and the last time gave me the same message as Babe has just posted.

Why aren't all the kids playing outside in the sun now that it has come out? They are hogging all the bandwidth.

J ZEP
25-09-2002, 05:04 PM
Yep same thing here night before last i think it was - first noticed it on soniks post about people out of work, that was just the weird header, with no reply button, all underlined in blue(his post) and right across the page, but the replys to him were in normal format in the boxes etc...then that came right when i looked last night and last night same thing on another post. Rapt it isn't just me then!!! As i presumed it was cause people had replied to his post and i had no button to reply!!!(on soniks)
But that thing with threads going right-------------> across the page does happen from time to time i have noticed, here anyway. I am using IE6 by the way if it helps. But i didn't notice any speed change myself.

>>>3Er, well I just got a 404 Page Not Found error when I clicked on Post Message just then.........

Yep me too on this thread (404 error)- think it was clicking on a link or screenshot that did it and had probs getting back into F1 again??

godfather
25-09-2002, 05:12 PM
OK I will plead guilty for the thread going wide, but NOT for the other problems (I have seen weird events as well)

I thought someone would have twigged to the "wide" threads, but I am not saying how it was done - even though Mary has alluded to it (and edited it out)

Mary H
25-09-2002, 05:21 PM
We rebooted the server, so this would be why some of you received 404 errors.

The problem with threads blowing out the page is caused by PRE tags.
PRE tags "delimit preformatted text, meaning that lines are displayed exactly as they are typed in, honoring multiple spaces and line breaks".
This means if you type a long line of text with no line returns or spaces you'll end up with a page which you have to scroll across to read.
This is not just a problem with F1, it's just generally how the PRE tag behaves :)

Graham L
25-09-2002, 05:22 PM
I thought you might have used some naughty words. :O I made a disapproving sound when I saw that. "Tut, very Tut" I thought.

Susan B
25-09-2002, 05:25 PM
I'm glad you've confessed godfather, but don't think that I didn't notice who the guilty culprit was.

If I hadn't been so busy elsewhere I would have given you a public spanking. That would make Poppa John envious! :D

sits back and waits for the flames to start

sal
25-09-2002, 05:41 PM
u guys are dirty :p

well, the whole pre tags thing i thought was a bit obvious, but i think graham had a seperate issue, and yup, i do have kazaa, so no ads for me :p

grtz sal.
tga

(and the emoticons were working, lol, its just i usually do :P instead of : p or :p)