PDA

View Full Version : My Documents Link

i-gordon
24-09-2002, 07:24 PM
When I go to Start/Documents/My Documents then nothing, where I normally would get a menu list. I can still get to My Documents from the desktop Icon but, to me this is the scenic route. The same thing happens with My Pictures so it is probably related. I suspect but I'm not sure that it happened when I upgraded to IE6 I use Windows ME. I have tried all the microsoft links I can find but nothing seem to be directly related.
Ian Gordon

Greg S
25-09-2002, 08:34 AM
Hi. Go into Windows Explorer, create a Shortcut to My Documents, and move this into your Start | Documents folder.

Danger
25-09-2002, 08:42 AM
Same thing happened to me last week. Then I did what Greg said, but ended up with Start/Documents/My Documents/My Documents/etc...
I have it sorted now, had to delete and try again several different options tho. Not really sure how I sorted it.

Susan B
25-09-2002, 09:30 AM
It's a long shot but maybe you could try running System File Checker - Start>Run>type sfc then click OK.

Danger
25-09-2002, 12:13 PM
Um... Susan, sfc did nothing for me, didn't run.
Windows ME.

Babe Ruth
25-09-2002, 12:21 PM
I think Susan B meant sfc /scannow
Babe.

Danger
25-09-2002, 12:29 PM
thanks Babe, no go for me there either :(

i-gordon
25-09-2002, 02:15 PM
Thanks for your reply Greg. However this only takes me to the doc folder, same as the scenic route. I want my drop down menu back.

i-gordon
25-09-2002, 02:20 PM
sfc /scannow didnt work for me either
Ian G

Babe Ruth
25-09-2002, 02:39 PM
Just had a quick check for WinME - no SFC>
Web quote...
"...Windows Me replaces System File Checker with System File Protection. You cannot launch System File Protection; it always runs in the background. This makes the utility more reliable than System File Checker, since it can catch a program in the act of alteration. On the other hand, System File Protection likely contributes to Me's slower performance, and you can't turn the program off."

I'll have another look at WinME issues re My Documents...

Later, Babe.

i-gordon
25-09-2002, 10:02 PM
Thanks for the help everyone. I've been trying to fix this for 2 weeks, and with all the things that I've tried I will probably muck something else up before long. I'm sure its a registry thing but I don't have enough knowledge to check anything, so if anyone has any suggestions as to what to look for I can do that. I know how to back up & restore the registry & I can make registry changes as long as the instructions are clear. One again thanks everyone.
Ian Gordon

Babe Ruth
25-09-2002, 10:16 PM
Ian, try the following...

Start | Run
in the run box type in regsvr32 mydocs.dll and click OK. When that has completed reboot your computer.

(If that doesn't work I have maybe one/two more (last) suggestions)

Babe.

i-gordon
26-09-2002, 06:08 PM
Thanks Babe All fixed. Just for my own info can you explain what happened and what that fix actually did.
Thanks again
Ian Gordon

Babe Ruth
26-09-2002, 08:03 PM
Ian,

Somewhere along the way the registry pointer for mydocs was either corrupted or removed. Regsvr32 is a program that you use to register dynamic-link libraries (DLLs) and ActiveX controls in the registry. So effectively we put the information back into the registry regarding mydocs linkage (My Documents).

Babe.

i-gordon
26-09-2002, 08:15 PM
Babe,
Understood Thanks again
Ian Gordon

Babe Ruth
26-09-2002, 08:16 PM
ian, No problem. Glad to be able to help.

Cheers, Babe.