PDA

View Full Version : Paradise Connection Speed

noddy
24-09-2002, 07:23 PM
I have been with Paradise for a year or two but in the last month my connection has been hopeless during peak times. Have they let themselves get overloaded? Has anyone else noticed this or is it just me? After a number of years enjoying a good connection(Ihug before that) it is really frustrating to experience this. I may even change ISPs if there is no improvement-who do you suggest? Thanks.

Peter H
24-09-2002, 07:29 PM
No problems here. Wellington - the best city.
Bye

Jester
24-09-2002, 07:53 PM
Paradise has been fine for me in Tauranga for the past month or two... after a period of shocking connectivity.

They seemed to have had massive teething problems merging Telstra, Clear and Paradise servers or sumfing like that, as they kept refusing passwords and their helpdesk was always busy.

As it is now, connection is quick, fast and stable.. fingers crossed. Give them a call and talk through your set up.

J.
:D

Chris Wilson
24-09-2002, 08:24 PM
How are you connecting?
paradise-cable-CHCH is doing just fine

Chris Wilson
24-09-2002, 09:08 PM
I was just about to eat my words and ask who'se been playing on the beach by that cable thingy?

The only site that seems to be slowing down is this one :(

Everything else seems fine! :)

raddersnz
24-09-2002, 09:27 PM
Until recently my dail-up has been wonderful, but now XP seems to have connection trouble. Sometimes dialing a strange number or freezing partway through it. Also been disconnected since the upgrade. Until know I have really enjoyed paradise and do not wish to change.
Even if(when) they get things going right for everybody, more users will appear and slow things down again till they repair it again and again and etc...

Vince
24-09-2002, 10:23 PM
At 3:30 this morning Paradise went off line; I tried to reconnect twice. The first time I got a busy signal, a minute later the message was 'Cannot establish a connection'. I dont know how long it lasted because I gave up and went to bed.
Yes I think paradise does seem a little slower lately. I am in Christchurch, and connected via Telstra Clear's fiber optics, dial up.

Vince
24-09-2002, 11:59 PM
I live in Christchurch and do feel that Paradise is a little slower than it was. Last night the 24th at 3:30 AM. Paradise went off line for a while. I got dissconected, and when I tried to re-connect I got a busy signal; tried again and got the message 'Un-able to establish a connection'. I don't know how long it lasted, I went to bed. Vince

Chris Wilson
25-09-2002, 12:03 AM
Well sounds like telstra needs to spend some bucks on upgrading more lines for paradises dial up customers. I'm surprised that there is a shortage of dial up points even to you Vince, given that you connect via telstra, I assume you mean you have telstra phone lines.

Seems to be a bottleneck developing at the CHCH 0867 number thing. This usually happens when there is a sudden rise in the costumer base, or a mass change in the customers download habits... say aint there a whole heap of people downloading XP's SP1 at 133MB?

Hopefully the problem is temporary. Theres definitely enough bandwidth to go round in CHCH, or I would be effected too!

Bob Kehely
25-09-2002, 09:29 AM
Hello Noddy,

Yeh, there have been changes for me, (Napier) peak times I find it now takes several attempts to connect, and webpages either dont load or hang. I noticed school holiday time, seem to make paradise cranky.

I usualy connect at around 48kps, but have been down the high thirtys at times. I agree there seems to be some degrading of service since the
intergration of clear.

cheers,
Bob

noddy
28-09-2002, 05:05 PM
My report back. After playing around I discovered my connection was greatly improved when I bypassed my ad blocker completely(I unticked use proxy server). I was using AdSubtract Pro and Proxomitron before that, both using a proxy server. My workmate also using Paradise and Proxomitron was experiencing the same problems and also noticed the immediate improvement. I am no longer using a proxy server but I am using Popup Ad Filter. I can live some ads if my connection speed is ok, though I was happy with both ad blockers prior to this problem .

Steve_L
28-09-2002, 06:35 PM
Hello from the Wairarapa. From Masterton, Paradise has been erratic: sometimes I have to disconnect and reconnect, once or more, in order to get decent transfer rates. Even during the day or early morning. I have been with Paradise for almost 3 years and the problems started a few months ago. What really annoys me is when I download email, it will just hang and do nothing at all, especially at the start. Then other times all will be OK. If things keep getting worse, I will be hunting for a new ISP.