PDA

View Full Version : OE won't get mail second time

TonyF
24-09-2002, 09:12 AM
The first time I use OE, it nips off to Paradise and send/receives OK. But the next time, it gets as far as "Find host" or "Connecting" and halts. Restart OE and all is well - for just one send/receive. All the prog settings are OK and unchanged. It started to do this 3 days ago, and I have not made any system changes which might have caused this.
Help !!

billa
24-09-2002, 09:34 AM
hmm
im going to assume something:
- you have a dialup connection.
- you open your dialup connection BEFORE you load O/E
- when you send/recieve you have your "hang up when finished" box checked
- your O/E will not dial your connection if there is no connection present (any time after the 1st time)

you really need to explain yourself more, i.e. OS version, connection info.

failing the above, make sure your "hang up when finished box" is unticked. this can be found in the options somewhere.

TonyF
24-09-2002, 09:56 AM
Thanks Billa, but my OE6/98SE invokes DUN, gets through PW etc OK, and then goes no further if I have done a send/receive previously. If a first time, shoots through to get mail OK and "hangs up when finished". Has been OK for ages and this behaviour has just started.
Cheers

Jim B
24-09-2002, 11:35 AM
Is it your dialup connection giving the error or is it a pop server error
Does you modem actually show as connecting the second attempt.

If you have your dialup connection set to connect automatically it might be best to remove this so you get the connect screen each time and select connect manually.
It is possible after selecting send/receive for it to attempt to login to the mail server before the modem connection has been fully established and give resulting errors.

Even though it has been working OK for you strange unexplained things are not unusual with these programs and it is usually more reliable to control actions manually instead of relying on automatic functions to do everything for you.

TonyF
24-09-2002, 11:56 AM
Thanks Jim B for thoughts, but OE proceeds through as far as password etc OK but it does not connect to the mail server. There is a POP3 error message finally saying that the server has closed the connection unexspectedly etc. This happens whether or not autodial is invoked. The puzzle is that all is well if I close OE and restart it.

wotz
24-09-2002, 12:33 PM
Reset the pop3 and smtp details. I had the same trouble with OE and Paradise recently.

TonyF
24-09-2002, 12:54 PM
Thanks Wotz. Did that, but no better !

Jim B
24-09-2002, 01:37 PM
Try removing the tick from Hangup after sending/receiving so the modem stays connected.
Dialin and if it gives a mail server error check if you are getting web sites.
This will confirm whether it is a problem with your modem connection or with the mail server server.

TonyF
24-09-2002, 03:21 PM
If I leave the modem connected, no problems getting mail. DUN for newsgroups on Paradise no problems (Agent) and Internet OK. Strange..

Jim B
24-09-2002, 04:06 PM
Not all that strange as a big majority of mail server errors are generated because the modem connection has not been made or has not connected completely.

On subsequent connections OE is trying to login to the mail server before the modem connection has fully completed or it is disconnecting hence the error.

You probably have Send and receive messages at startup selected in Options and when you first open OE this works OK

You could try deselecting this to see if there is any change.

Also remove tick from Check for new messages every xx mins it might be set to a small figure.

I would suggest you take back control yourself and don't rely on automatic functions. Dialin and connect, download your mail and disconnect manually.

TonyF
24-09-2002, 05:53 PM
Thanks Jim. I guess that is a good workaround, although we have not found the cause. I think my OE is not closing down properly, but maybe another reader has the answer.
Cheers