PDA

View Full Version : re- deleting programmes

lojos_
23-09-2002, 05:12 PM
I have clicked on run typed in msconfig and found programmes I want to delete. They are not ticked but I want to get rid of them completely.Advice please

antmannz
23-09-2002, 05:29 PM
First of all go to Start > Settings > Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs and uninstall the programs you don't want from that list. Then run a regcleaner to remove any left-over registry settings.

Billy T
23-09-2002, 05:46 PM
Hi there.

What programs are they and why do you want to delete them Lojos? They could be needed at some time in the future.

However, allowing that they are programmes you have installed yourself at some time, go to control panel/add-remove programs and if they are listed there, remove them via this facility.

If they are not present there, look for them on your start menus and see if they have an uninstall feature available. Not all programs can be removed via control panel (Zone Alarm is one example).

If you have no success there either, you are getting into fairly heavy territory as it appears you may not have a lot of PC experience.

You can identify where the exe file that runs the program hides in your computer by right-clicking its icon and looking at its properties to find the directory name. Deleting this directory will disable the program but will almost certainly leave you with residual entries in the registry. It may also delete files that other programs still need.

You may then find that your computer will give error messages while booting as it looks for the missing files (a safe way to test this is to rename the directory by changing the last letter to an underscore and seeing if everything still works ok. If it doesn't then at least you can change it back and be no worse off.

There are programs that will remove redundant registry entries for you but you need to be careful how you go about this as you may end up with even more problems.

I recommend that before you do anything to your computer you post details of exactly which programs you are wanting to delete so that the Press F1 Team can give specific advice.

Another very good piece of advice is: If it ain't broke, don't fix it, that is to say, don't delete programs just for the sake of it if they are not causing you any problems.

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :D