PDA

View Full Version : Two Computer, One Problem!

Punk Rocker
23-09-2002, 03:45 PM
Kia Ora. We have two computers a laptop and a desktop. They are nearly exactly the same apart from one has a AMD and the other a P4-Intel. I notice on the laptop and everything runs VERY fast (use XP Pro on both computers) and on the desktop it is very sluggish and takes about 4-5 minutes from boot up to being able to use the computer. Is this the difference between AMD and Intel (which have the same Mhz when compared) or is there something wrong with the desktop (which you would expect to be faster). I mean, as I am typing right now, it isn't nice and smooth, it is slow and takes about 1-1.5 seconds to show the write in just typed in. ?

KerryD
23-09-2002, 04:01 PM
Something sounds very wrong with your desktop machine! Does it have enough memory? Generally, if it is taking a long time to display text when typed, then something is faulty with the machine. Check:
* Free memory
* How many apps are running
* Temperature of the components
* Free disk space
* Fragmentation of disks

Try running a program such as Disk Cleanup to get things in order (well, slightly in order). Run a virus check to ensure nothing is hiding in the memory. (It wouldn't be unrealistic that a virus is capturing to disk what you are typing). Check that everything as it should... remember the case of those memory chips that were being sold without the memory chip in them? Just make sure the PC is healthy and it should run fine in return! Give it a big spring clean and you might find it works better.

Chris Wilson
23-09-2002, 04:08 PM
start up the desktop machine,
wait 10 minutes for the bootup process to complete
press ctrl+alt+del once only

How big is the list of runnining programmes?

start > run > type "msconfig" go to the startup tab
(if this doesn't work, i opoligize, i run 98, and dont know XP that well)

How huge is the list here?

If these lists are really HUGE, then that is the problem!

kiwibeat
23-09-2002, 04:46 PM
if you have a network card in there get rid of it if its not being used it slows the pc down a lot ,also run ad-aware and regcleaner and empty out all your temp files and uninstall all unnecessary programs

Punk Rocker
23-09-2002, 06:06 PM
I do have a network card (a wireless one) but it is not connected 90% of the time... I have 256Mb RAM (DDR i think it is). Umm, the list of applications being used in 30 on start up (and can get up to about 35/36 I guess). The number of applications being used the the system tray (bottom right coner), the laptop has about 2-3 MORE!! and it loads faster. I was thinking, Style XP, does that have anything to do with it? The other main programs running in the S.T are... Norton Internet Security 2002, point 32 (i think it is that) - for the mouse. Oh and MSN Messenger. So on strat up there are 6 programs... Any ideas?