PDA

View Full Version : nVidia RIVA TNT2 Model 64/Model 64 Pro - HELP!!!!

Lexi_666
23-09-2002, 03:00 AM
I have in my posession a "nVidia RIVA TNT2 Model 64/Model 64 Pro" or so teh PC tells me. I bought this card to upgrade from my crappy old one. ONE PROBLEM....Whenever I try to run a game, teh PC goes to sleep along with the monitor. Dosen't turn off but just sists there blank like a catatonic vegetable. (no offence)

HOW IN HELL AM I SUPPOSED TO FIX THIS???? I don't work so saving up for a card like this took a long time!!! And of course they don't have any form of help service available. No one to email and No one to call...

Thanks Heapz
Lexi

Mike
23-09-2002, 09:42 AM
First of all, CALM DOWN! :D :)

What Windows version are you running? Do you know what resolution you are running at normally, and what resolution does the game try to run at?

Have you installed the latest Detonator drivers (the video card's driver that makes it work)?

If you're not sure, post back and we'll give you the steps on how to find out.

Mike.

Lexi_666
23-09-2002, 10:40 AM
Windows 98 SE

800x600

It does it with ALL games

Yes the drivers are installed

thanks for teh help
Lexi

John Grieve
23-09-2002, 11:48 AM
What was the make and model of videocard you replaced??

When you installed the new drivers for the new card did you remove the old drivers first so that when you installed the new card physically Windows was using "Standard VGA Drivers" and not the original cards drivers?

Answer the above and I can probably work out the best way to rectify the situation. Sounds suspiciously like you may not have removed the old drivers properly first which becomes critical if the old videocard you replaced was not an NVidia based card.

BIFF
23-09-2002, 10:41 PM
Can you run dxdiag from the Run prompt? If so can you run the Direct 3D Tests?
Are the drivers you are using the latest for the model of card, or the latest Nvidia generic detonator drivers? Have you updated DirectX too?
Did you delete the old video card from Device Mananger(/and uninstall old drivers) for the old card prior to installing the new one? Does you motherboard have drivers, if so are you using the latest ones?

There may be a BIOS update available for your motherboard too -as a last resort if it turns out to be a hardware problem not driver or software.

Lexi_666
24-09-2002, 02:07 AM
I installed the new card and when that didn't work, I "FDISK"ed the hard drive so it can be anything to do with the old card can it? It was a Savage or something...

tweak\'e
24-09-2002, 10:59 AM
what other cards have you got in the system?

have you got anything in the first pci slot?

Graham L
24-09-2002, 05:42 PM
another question ... was the other "card" a card (now unplugged), or was it a video circuit on the motherboard?

BIFF
24-09-2002, 07:40 PM
If you have installed Windows from scratch there won't be any problems with old video drivers. It is quite possible you need motherboard drivers for your system. These can be obtained from the website of the maker of the board. If you can tell us the motherboard type (model number will be marked on the motherboard) we can possibly find the drivers for you. If you have reinstalled Windows your DirectX will be very very out of date. The latest version can be obtained from the Microsoft website here:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/directx/default.asp
If your video card has no 'special' features like video capture or a TV tuner you may be better off using the basic Nvidia Detonator drivers which can be obtained from here:
http://www.nvidia.com/content/drivers/drivers.asp