PDA

View Full Version : jetstream. errr....excuse me mr telecom.....

tweak\'e
22-09-2002, 10:22 PM
how far from the exchange will it work?

telecom say 5km but i've heard of people useing it up to 10km away. whats the deal with convinceing telecom to install it if you are over 5km away?

what sort of speed would you get out of it at 10km range?

Peter Coleman
22-09-2002, 10:50 PM
Hi,jetstream won't work out to 10K,and in a lot of cases,won't work out to 5K either.The longest distance they have got it going out to is about 6-7K,and that is ideal conditions.It all depends on the length of cable,the conductor size,number of joints and multiples off it,any loading coils,or any things like 0+2's to close together in the cable,and last off,the type of modem used.Telecom will hook up jetstream past 5K,but will say that they will not guarantee it will work.In those cases,you normally have to try it and see.Sometimes it will,sometimes it won't.
hope the info is helpful
Peter

-=JM=-
22-09-2002, 10:56 PM
Have a look here (http://www.telecom.co.nz/tools/1,3907,100551-201306,00.html) for the JetStream compatibility site. Punch your Telecom number in and they'll say what they think.

Peter H
23-09-2002, 01:18 PM
That's a handy site. Shows my lower limit as 2.9 - upper 5.7
Bye

Baldy
23-09-2002, 01:49 PM
And mine is:

Lower probable limit: 3.9 Mbits per second
Upper probable limit: 7.7 Mbits per second

Whatever that means. Its all gobbledegook to me.

BALDY:-)

nzStan
23-09-2002, 02:14 PM
Those are the lowest and highest achievable speed. But that only applies if you are using the full JetStream package (not the JestStart which is capped at 128kbps service even though you might have a 2mbits link).

The only time JestStart users experience full DSL speed is when they log into the JetStreamGames realm. Difference? On my JestStart link it took me 2 hours to download a huge file from the JetStreamGames FTP server, compared to 20mins on a JetStreamGames login.

BTW - mine says 6.9mbits, but I'm capped at 128kbps :(

Capt Jimbo
23-09-2002, 03:01 PM
I was constantly "teased" by a friend in Auckland who let me play with his ADSL connection whenever I visited.
This became more and more frustrating as I returned home to my superfast 56K modem.
Finally now I'm connected and loving it.
Full Jetstream speed and heaven help the person who ever tries to take it from me :-)

Poppa John
23-09-2002, 07:30 PM
Capt Jimbo, Stop bragging, Jealous Poppa John :( :(

Poppa John
23-09-2002, 08:25 PM
My Low is 4.2Mbits, my High is 8.0Mbits, my Access Speed is 128Kbits. Let me see if I have got this right. If the 128K is the "capped" or maximum (?) speed , what is the point of the Mbits ratings? Or are they not the same things? Puzzled Poppa John

-=JM=-
23-09-2002, 09:32 PM
The 4.2 and 8.0Mbits are the connection to Telecom. If you're on the JetStream Starter 5000 (formerly JetStart) you will get your bandwidth capped at 128Kbps (roughly 3x faster than a 56K).

If you're on the JetStream (not Starter) you will get the 4.2 -> 8.0Mbits connection speed. Though it will ofcourse depend on what the other end is willing to give you.

With the JetStream Starter 5000 you can use the full speed if you login to the JetStreamGames realm. But you can only access certain games servers and ftp servers.

godfather
23-09-2002, 09:34 PM
Right PJ, if on Jetstart, then the speeds mean diddly.

Its capped at 128k. Thats what I am on, its about 4 times as fast as a dial-up, and is actually quite acceptable.

Poppa John
23-09-2002, 10:44 PM
Thanks. Being only about 1K as the crow flies from the Papatoetoe exchange, my 56 connection is quite good. However 4 X Faster sounds pretty goog to me. My B/day soon, I wonder if I can talk my kids into picking up the monthly difference at telecom????? Musing Poppa John :D

P S I assume I would get the Jet whatever connection which means Phone & Computer working at the same time. Can I have two computers & the phone at the same time? P J

-=JM=-
23-09-2002, 10:56 PM
With JetStart (the cheaper one) you effectively have two phone lines. You can surf and talk at the same time.

You pay around $30 to Telecom and around $34.95 to your ISP.

With the speeds that it provides it is quite feasible to have two people surfing at the same time. The best way is to have an external ADSL router which then has a switch connected to it with the computers connected to the switch.

Poppa John
23-09-2002, 11:08 PM
J M My current Telecom is, Phone $42 & Xtra $28. I assume the $28 gets the chop in favour of the $35? . So I would pay $42 + $35 + $30 = $107?
Yes? Too dear. Poppa John

flying_green_leprachaun
23-09-2002, 11:10 PM
Walker Wireless (http://www.walkerwireless.co.nz), 256kbps capped speed, but if you have the cash <read $1000's a month> you can ramp it up to 2mbits

Pro's
1.) Not Telecom
2.) Superlative Customer Service on their techline ie. afterhours leave a message {they got back to me early next morning} or get put thru to a after hours technician if its really urgent
3.) Extremly reliable product, the only downtime I experienced was 2 mins at 5am one friday morning, which they rang & warned me about 5 days in advance.
4.) Uncapped!!!
5.) I say they are good... so there

Con's
1.) Expensive for the speed {I am paying $130 ish a month, for the network connection, includes ISP costs.}
2.) Have to be line of sight for a P.O.P {Point of Presence} If you can see the sky tower your pretty much set.
3.) Erm.... thats it

PS I dont work for them ;-)

godfather
23-09-2002, 11:17 PM
Yes, standard phone line rental is about $38 then $35, $30.
Your phone rental probably has maintenance on it, I cancelled that years ago.

All up my telephone account is about $300-$400 per month, its one of my largest outgoings (2 lines, plus Jetstream, plus tolls plus cellphone).

You dont need a second line for Jetstream, it uses the existing one a bit like an aerial system, where the signal follows around the cable, not really "in" it. Thats why you can use your phone at the same time.

PJ, you could always sell your body on K road to pay for the ADSL...

Poppa John
24-09-2002, 09:06 AM
Goddie. Sell my body on K Rd??? I am so Orrible & Ugly I would have to Pay the Customer to use Me!!!!! Amused Poppa John :D

Peter Coleman
24-09-2002, 10:38 AM
Just a small point godfather,it might be a good idea to reconsider your wiring maintenance with Telecom.If a fault is proved in to your house on the phone line(a not uncommon occurance at all) we would charge you $81 even without fixing it,then the parts and labour to fix it(if you so desire)which can total over $100 very easily.At the price Telecom charge for wiring maintenance,that's about 4 years worth,as I think it's only about $2.50 a month(?).Cheap insurance I reckon

Peter

godfather
24-09-2002, 11:05 AM
Thanks Peter for the advice, but as my house is custom wired (by me) with multiple circuits and a small switch, all Krone block terminated etc. I think I would be able to locate the problem.

I have access immediately past the ETP so can quickly determine the location.

Chris Wilson
24-09-2002, 11:09 AM
I got rid of the maintanance part of the telecom account years ago, untill i made the switch to the other company...

Why? Well who do you think was doing all the wiring of the 3 phone lines and 6 extention PABX anyway?

Plus i discovered that i could find time within a few minutes of detecting a fault, where as telecom would get around to it sometime....

Probably worth mentioning that over 5 years (maybe 6) that i had variants of this system in place, there was always atleast one annoying problem at telecoms end.