PDA

View Full Version : Free WYSIWYG Editors

pepper
22-09-2002, 05:49 PM
Are there any good WYSIWYG editors out there for free?

chriswattson
22-09-2002, 05:55 PM
theres geocities (http://www.geocities.com)
you can sign up and make your own site with free hosting and it comes with its own wysiwug editor!

Graham Petrie
22-09-2002, 06:42 PM
Someone already asked that here (http://pressf1.co.nz/thread.jsp?forum=1&thread=24808)

G P

SoniKalien
23-09-2002, 12:17 AM
...and the answer was inconclusive :D

I have tried a lot of free editors, just a matter of interest. The interest was in seeing if there was something better than Dreamweaver...

I couldn't find any, they were mostly overfeatured, under powered, and hard to use (eg messy interface) so went back to DW. BTW, DreamWeaver MX sucks. DW4 is better.

Chris Wilson
23-09-2002, 01:25 AM
For what operating system?
'doze, linux, or mac?

mejobloggs
23-09-2002, 08:31 AM
How much does dreamweaver cost? where can i het it?

Mike
23-09-2002, 08:34 AM
I assume you're meaning WYSIWYG HTML editors?

1st Page 2000 is free and very good, but it's not WYSIWYG (although it does have a preview in it). There aren't many (if any) free WYSIWYG editors out there. Frontpage Express used to be available - a search on the net might find it, or if you're running Windows 98 (not SE) I believe it was included on there.

HTH

Mike.

-=JM=-
23-09-2002, 10:56 AM
The Composer which is in Mozilla (http://www.mozilla.org) is very good and easy to use as well. It seems to create perfect code unless you mess around with the code yourself.

Steve_L
25-09-2002, 07:09 AM
For over 3 years I have used Netscape's "Composer". Currently I use Netscape 4.7 for web page creations. I am baffled why more people don't use this for web pages since it is free and easy to use, and mostly error free (a few quirks but they are manageable or you can fix them). Unless you want to do fancy java script or other complex pages, use Netscape Composer.

Greg S
25-09-2002, 08:10 AM
Steve, I highly recommend you get Netscape 7 for the much improved Composer - it's become an almost professional programme now. Even if you don't want to use the browser, you can install it and run the Composer element side-by-side with 4.7x.

Steve_L
25-09-2002, 11:30 PM
Greg - THANKS for the tip about Netscape 7. I have been contemplating doing this, and now with your advice I will finally do so. BTW, does Netscape 7 have an "auto-complete" of the URL like IE 5 ? That is, in my IE5 all I need to do is type in "PC" and the URl for this PC World F1 web site pops up. I did try Netscape 6 last year awhile back, but uninstalled it since there was no autocomplete - same with IE6......... well, I may have it wrong, maybe I unistalled one of them since it was unstable. I still use Win98, updated with patches etc., and have to be careful of adding programs that screw up the stability (no problems at this time - quite stable now). Cheers - Steve

Greg S
26-09-2002, 07:12 AM
Yep, 7 has an autocomplete function in it's browser, as well as a few customisation options for it. I run Win98 and have had no instability probs since its install.