PDA

View Full Version : App for hiding hard drives

Carl
22-09-2002, 03:11 PM
Does anyone know of a (free) program which will allow me to hide and password protect a hard drive I use for some work related files under 98se??

Thanks

Graham L
22-09-2002, 03:21 PM
If you right click on the drive (in My Computer) you get an option to encrypt the disk. Would this work in the way you want? Try it on one small directory first.

You must remember that "security" does not exist on any computer if anyone has physical access to the machine. ]:) "Anyone" can boot an OS from a floppy or a CD which does not run your "hide/protect" programme.

The only secure computer is one that is locked in a room, and not connected to any network.

dipstick01
22-09-2002, 03:26 PM
You can also try tweakUI

antmannz
22-09-2002, 07:02 PM
> If you right click on the drive (in My Computer) you get an option to
> encrypt the disk. Would this work in the way you want? Try it on one
> small directory first.

In 98se ?? You do?? ?:|
What do you have installed that I don't?

b1naryb0y
22-09-2002, 08:02 PM
Here's a little secret of mine from way back...

Open up explorer and go to the drive you want to hide (we will be creating a secret folder so it can be on any drive).

Create a new folder and give it a unique name, dont forget the name of this folder because it will act as a password of sorts.

You could name it "secret" but if your'e really paranoid name it something like "a1d3r5d" - just don't forget the name!

Now copy all the data you want protected into this folder.

Next, open up a dos prompt and type:

ren [NAME OF FOLDER] (ALT)255[NAME OF FOLDER]

Don't type ALT!, this means hold down the ALT key, only release the ALT when you have typed in "255" plus the folder name without spaces.

example; ren secret (hold down alt)255secret(release alt) , press enter.

Go back to explorer, and if done correctly your "secret" folder should now be named "_". You cannot open the folder or delete it and right clicking it and selecting properties shows that it's size is zero bytes and contains zero files.

Now the only way of accessing this folder is to rename it by reversing the above command. Just remember though, if you dont know the name you can't rename it or otherwise access it.

Bruce.