PDA

View Full Version : PressF1 Format

Poppa John
22-09-2002, 02:45 PM
Serious Q. On my XP computer my F1 appears as it did when I firet signed up, which I suspect is in the "old' PCW format.
I was at a friends place today & put F1 on her ME computer. It looks different, why?. Is it because I am, perhaps . on the "Old" IDG site, & she is on the newer Candy site?? Poppa John :|

godfather
22-09-2002, 02:54 PM
No, the site is the site and its only at one location.

You can select such things as "thread map on" or "thread map off" which will give slightly different looks.

Or perhaps too much sherry could cause the illusion?

tweak\'e
22-09-2002, 02:55 PM
more likly it due to her browser settings. check what encoding and text size its set on. also screen size makes a difference to page layout.

otherwise please tell us what looks different about it.

Poppa John
22-09-2002, 03:00 PM
A bit hard to put a picture into Words. My one is typed words & paras down the page. Hers looks more like a spreadsheet, everything is in boxes, sort of. Does that help? Poppa John

Chris Wilson
22-09-2002, 03:02 PM
candy.idg.co.nz and pressf1.co.nz are the same, they get spat out from the same server that took over when candy was adequatly tested, and the old server threw an unexpected hissy fit

i suspect theat formatting differances might be because of different screen resolutions, and stuff like that.

Graham Petrie
22-09-2002, 03:24 PM
Poppa - While reading this, press the print screen button on your keyboard.

Now, open your graphics editor and create a new picture - then click edit -> paste to paste your screen shot into the new picture. Save the picture as a jpeg or gif to make it smaller and send it by email to gwpetrie@varsity.co.nz

Then post here to let me know you have done it. i will look at what you are seeing and see if I can help.

G P

Chris Wilson
22-09-2002, 03:26 PM
Send a copy to me too (you have my address)
i'm curious!

Chris.

tweak\'e
22-09-2002, 03:29 PM
i wonder if its because she's not logged in??? guest settings are different to loged in users.

Graham L
22-09-2002, 03:35 PM
I see PressF1 with everything in boxes ... and it was like that in the "old" system. I think it's Poppa's browser that is different. Or Poppa's eyes. ;-)

Chris Wilson
22-09-2002, 03:48 PM
>>Hers looks more like a spreadsheet, everything is in boxes, sort of.
well yes, not that i spent alot of time with spreadsheets, but that describes mine
i'm just about to place a screen shot of how i have always seen it here (http://www.something.net.nz/f1/images/spreadsh.jpg)
(please allow a couple of minutes after i post)
Tell me if yours or your freinds is closer to what i have here!

Graham Petrie
22-09-2002, 04:22 PM
LOL Chris "Teachme's got it covered" Nooooooooooo!!!

:)

Mine is the same as yours, except I have got the threadmap turned off - I think this is PJ's problem

G P

Mike
22-09-2002, 04:30 PM
I think the problem might be that one of you has "Threaded View" on, and the other doesn't. Go into "My Settings" and change from "Threaded View" to not threaded, or vice-versa, and see if that makes a difference to how you see your page :)

Mike.

Mike
22-09-2002, 04:31 PM
Just to clarify, switch between "Threaded" and "Flat" in View Mode on the "My Settings" page - it's not the Threadmap.

Mike.

Baldy
22-09-2002, 05:42 PM
> Poppa - While reading this, press the print screen
> button on your keyboard.
>
> Now, open your graphics editor and create a new
> picture - then click edit -> paste to paste your
> screen shot into the new picture. Save the picture
> as a jpeg or gif to make it smaller and send it by
> email to gwpetrie@varsity.co.nz
>
> Then post here to let me know you have done it. i
> will look at what you are seeing and see if I can
> help.
>
> G P

What do you mean by Graphics Editor GP? I assume you mean MS Paint or something similar..... Sorry bout stupid question, but first day of school hols, and my mindd is mush. Too many kids arguments and silly banter LOL.

BALDY:-)

Chris Wilson
22-09-2002, 05:49 PM
I do my sceenshots in photochop

apparantly paint works OK too

printscreen >

in photochop open: file > "new"
click somewhere in the blank image > press ctrl+V > save result appropiatly

Poppa John
22-09-2002, 05:53 PM
Ok Folks, various replies down the page.
Goddie & Mike, Thread on/off etc in settings, but nothing happened. Probably just me.
Graham Petrie. Have tried doing what you suggest, at least copy/paste but never got it to work. Maybe my hand is too shaky on the mouse. (As Susan B once said, " you have to explain things a lot of times to Poppa John for it to stick!!! Honest she did:_| ) Maybe when you move to Papatoetoe you would come & show me. ?
tweak'e She is Logged in as Coro so it is not that.
Graham L Nothing wrong with my four eyes !!!
Chris Wilson Your 'here" is exactly as she has got it & I have not.

Chris Wilson
22-09-2002, 06:02 PM
Poppa,

Instructions for screenshot capture can be seen above,

same applies to paintshop which hopefully is on your system

Its just ive never seen anything radicly differant to what i see on my own screen, differant browsers, screen sizes, make little differance!

Graham Petrie
22-09-2002, 06:28 PM
PJ, is yours more like this (http://knightguider.orcon.net.nz/poppa.gif)??

You are really gonna love the fact that a PressF1'er is gonna be in your neighbourhood aren't you? :)

If you can possibly wait till November when I come up, then I would be happy to help. My ugly face might make you change your mind pretty fast. I also like coffee and biscuits ;)

G P

Graham Petrie
22-09-2002, 06:39 PM
Baldy - Paint, paintshop pro etc.

The reason why I told Poppa to save as a gif or jpeg is because if he happens to have a giant screen with a 1280x1024 res, then a bmp of that size would take a while to email.

Poppa here are the instructions again: (Do this with this screen visible)

1. press the print screen button on your keyboard (above insert and delete keys).

2. open paint.

3. Click edit -> paste.

4. click file -> saveas

5. under the save as type field choose jpeg and give the file a name and sve it somewhere.

now, click on this link to email me (mailto:gwpetrie@varsity.co.nz)

don't forget to attach the file.

G P

Poppa John
22-09-2002, 07:11 PM
G P Mine is NOT like that. Friend Pat"s IS like that.
Will be happy to meet an expert, coffee is in stock for visitors. Biscuits? Don't buy those, I do bake cakes tho. They are edible.

Chris. I read what you say about the cut/paste etc. What is the saying? " A picture is worth a thousand words".
Poppa John

Chris Wilson
22-09-2002, 07:19 PM
mmmmm shall i take screenshots of how to take screen shots, and lay them out on a page????

Now there's something to do.
might get back to you on that one..

Poppa John
22-09-2002, 07:33 PM
G P. I have tried to send you something, Lord knows what you will get. If it makes sense, perhaps you can Post it into this Thread for me?
rattled Poppa John

Mike
22-09-2002, 07:59 PM
PJ, is it more like this:

http://mike.ywamcentral.com/f1/screen.jpg]My Screenshot[/url]

This is in "Threaded" view. GPs was in "Flat View".

Mike.

PS the pic is a tad large (like 192kb) so it might take a while to come through, sorry... couldn't be bothered making the file smaller LOL

Poppa John
22-09-2002, 08:09 PM
Mike. yes MINE IS like that. Poppa John

Mike
22-09-2002, 08:21 PM
Well, Poppa John. I've got Threaded View turned on, and GP has it turned off.

Under "My Settings", the third option down (after "Topics per page" and "Messages per topic listing") should be "View Mode" with the options "Flat" or "Threaded". Yours will be set to "Threaded", as mine is, and GPs will be set to Flat.

It is NOT the same as having the Thread Map on, which you will see is the next option down - that's a completely different setting.

Mike.

-=JM=-
22-09-2002, 08:26 PM
Poppa does it look like this (http://geek.orcon.net.nz/pressf1/poppa.PNG).

This is in the Threaded mode.

Baldy
22-09-2002, 08:27 PM
> G P. I have tried to send you something, Lord knows
> what you will get. If it makes sense, perhaps you can
> Post it into this Thread for me?
> rattled Poppa John

Don't be rattled Poppa.... its beyond me too. I have only mastered the "art" of cut and pasting......

Looking at your screen-shot. Must say its a nice looking interface. Is it WinXP. Far less clutered looking than IE5

Baldy
22-09-2002, 08:28 PM
I was refering to Mikes screen shot in above post

-=JM=-
22-09-2002, 08:30 PM
I guess that's what happens when you open up all the new pressf1 posts. It takes around half an hour before you get to some of the threads.

I suddenly wish I had pushed refresh.

/me surrenders.

you win Mike :D

Mike
22-09-2002, 08:35 PM
Baldy, yeah I'm using XP, but it shouldn't make any difference - I move all the icons and toolbars around in IE (have done so since IE5) to make the webpage use as much of the screen as possible, and make all the icons as small as possible etc. Just right-click on a toolbar somewhere and click "Customise" and you should be able to do it (or drag and drop the toolbars).

Mike.

Mike
22-09-2002, 08:39 PM
> you win Mike :D

Ooh goody! What have I won? Norton Systemworks 2003?

Mike.

Mike
22-09-2002, 08:44 PM
> I guess that's what happens when you open up all the
> new pressf1 posts. It takes around half an hour
> before you get to some of the threads.
> I suddenly wish I had pushed refresh.

You must have pushed refresh, JM, as my post with my screenshot is clearly listed in the threadmap in your screenshot (my post at 8:21pm), so you just can't have read far enough down the page :)

Mike.

Poppa John
22-09-2002, 08:54 PM
I printed off GP (flat View?) Mike & GP posts links, (threaded view?).
My settings are View Mode=Threaded & Thread Map=On.
I changed Threaded to flat & left Map alone.Down to the bottom of page & clicked "Save & Return" & still the same. Went right out of F1 then came back in, still the same. What now? Poppa John

Mike
22-09-2002, 08:59 PM
> I printed off GP (flat View?) Mike & GP posts links,
> (threaded view?).
> My settings are View Mode=Threaded & Thread Map=On.
> I changed Threaded to flat & left Map alone.Down to
> the bottom of page & clicked "Save & Return" & still
> the same. Went right out of F1 then came back in,
> still the same. What now? Poppa John

No idea, PJ. Maybe the server doesn't like you - it may be a job for Bruce or James or Robo or someone.

Do you really want it changed? :)

Mike.

Poppa John
22-09-2002, 09:08 PM
Mike. At first it was just plain curiosity. Then as we went on I thought "Toyota This" I should have a choice of Formats. Anyway I concede defeat, what I have is Ok. I guess my friend who is new to F! isn't going to see the difference anyway. So to Everybody, Thanks for your patience. I am off to bed now, G'nite. Fatty Gued Poppa John :(

Susan B
22-09-2002, 09:14 PM
Poppa, you could try closing your Internet Explorer windows and deleting your Press F1 cookie and for good measure, your temporary internet files from the Control Panel's Internet Options.

You will have to log-on again when you come back, and after you do this, go straight to your settings and try setting up how you want it again.

Make sure you press the "Save" button and go back to the Home page before you try looking at a thread. With a bit of luck this might work.

-=JM=-
22-09-2002, 10:09 PM
> > I guess that's what happens when you open up all
> the
> > new pressf1 posts. It takes around half an hour
> > before you get to some of the threads.
> > I suddenly wish I had pushed refresh.
>
> You must have pushed refresh, JM, as my post with my
> screenshot is clearly listed in the threadmap in your
> screenshot (my post at 8:21pm), so you just can't
> have read far enough down the page :)
>
> Mike.

nope. ;)

I view mine in Flat Mode. So rather than changing my settings, I just fired up a different browser and went in as Guest :D

So I hadn't even looked at anything in that window. Just scrolled down so that the posts could be seen :)