PDA

View Full Version : I’m in desperate need of help!!!

JamesStewart
21-09-2002, 05:02 PM
Hi. Last night I was looking the in BIOS information at all my computer components and the temperature of the CPU. I also wanted to remove the password that appears on the screen as soon as the computer loads up. I thought I removed the password by press Enter twice and a message said “Password Disabled”. I then said YES to save the changes and restarted the BIOS. Now when I start the computer, it still comes up with the password box AND I don’t know the password. The password was CDS and I have tried MANY!!!! different arrangements of the password and all the keys near the ENTER key just in case. I am really perplexed as to what has happened and how do I get around this problem. I am using Windows XP Pro if that has anything to do with it.

Phate
21-09-2002, 06:01 PM
XP shouldn't have anything to do with it. :) (That relieves you doesn't it.)

The only thing I would think of is to go to your computer manufacturer's website, and send them an email explaining the problem.

The other option is to wait in this forum until someone comes and makes me look like a complete and utter idiot.

Sorry for the non-helping info

Zan

godfather
21-09-2002, 06:05 PM
Try disconnecting the power supply. (REMOVE PLUG)
Open case and remove BIOS backup battery
Wait a few minutes
Replace battery
Put cover on
Reconnect to the power
Hope like hell its at system default settings...

Of course that assumes you can do the open case surgery without screwing the warranty.

BUT-if you saw "password disabled" then it should have been OK...

Is it the BIOS password you are seeing? That would come up within about 10 seconds from power-up.

JamesStewart
21-09-2002, 06:10 PM
Yes it is. I have heard in passing that there is a jumper switch on the mother board to reconfigure this password?!?!?!? But I am really looking for a none computer opening solution...... Is it possible?

chriswattson
21-09-2002, 06:13 PM
buy a new bios chip
hahha

sorry this is the best i can do to help

JamesStewart
21-09-2002, 06:16 PM
Man, that is not funny, my dad is going nuts at me over this. I really need help!

godfather
21-09-2002, 06:17 PM
Your motherboard manual will tell you. If you have not got one, you will need to find the exact make and model and search on Google.

It will also likely tell you if any default password would be loaded if reset.

BUT you may need to open up the case to find out what motherboard it is?

allanl
21-09-2002, 06:18 PM
You can short out the bios with a 5V batt. This resets everything to default but as mentioned before, warranty probs raises its head. I also believe some manufacturers have got master passwords for their machines, in particular Dell. You have to ring them and quote serial number etc then they give you a password.

Billy T
21-09-2002, 06:24 PM
Listen guys, I'll keep it short!

Opening the case will NOT invalidate your warranty. To refuse to honour the warranty requires the dealer to be able to prove on the balance of probabilities that your actions physically or electrically damaged the part they subsequently claim to be faulty.

Your actions and problems at present are software related so they would not be subject to a warranty claim anyway so you will not be in any worse position if you reset the bios and it doesn't work. You would still have to pay to get the bios settings restored.

There are remedies available if they take a hard nosed position and the Disputes Tribunal (if they still call it that) would probably order a refund of any charges. Just make sure you take good care and document everything you do.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

godfather
21-09-2002, 06:28 PM
>You can short out the bios with a 5V batt

EEK

Yes it would reset everything, and the motherboard would become a floor tile (or as much use as...)

The BIOS info is held in CMOS RAM, and removal of the 3 volt backup battery will allow it to forget everything. Likewise any link will remove the supply (either by fitting or removing as directed)

Any "shorting out" by putting 5v across anything....Ouch

Billy T
21-09-2002, 06:30 PM
In response to Allan's suggestion, you can't short out anything with a battery and the last thing you want to do is poke stray voltages around. That WILL blow your warranty.

Removing the battery is the correct action.

How about posting details of your computer so that people can get a proper handle on the problem? Somebody might have the same model or motherboard and be able to give you details on bios settings or password replacement procedure.

When it is all going again, remember the old adage: If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

JamesStewart
21-09-2002, 06:32 PM
Oh My GOD!! Has it come to that!!! SO if I take the battery out, it will have to pay some one to reset everthing????????:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

JamesStewart
21-09-2002, 06:32 PM
Everything being the BIOS sorry

JamesStewart
21-09-2002, 06:37 PM
Ok, my CPU is a AMD Atholon 1.4Mhz with a "AD72-SC/SN" mother-board (it is one for AMD CPU's). I think that is all you need to know. I don't know how to get information on the BIOS (becuase I think that is what information you need to know). We got the computer built by a family friend, with everything we want in it. They family has since moved to Ozi, soo.. HELP! But thanks for all you help so far!

Billy T
21-09-2002, 06:44 PM
James

You will only have to pay if the supplier of your computer has some custom password or bios arrangement. Apart from that with a bit of help from Press F1 you should be able to sort it all out.

It shouldn't cost hardly anything to reset the bios if you have to go back though.

What brand/where did you buy your computer? Is it "off the shelf" or custom built?

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Billy T
21-09-2002, 06:52 PM
Sorry James

Didn't see your last post as I hadn't refreshed my screen.

Warranty isn't an issue at all for you so just do what you gotta do and if you can't fix it, post your location and I'm sure the Forum will be able to point you to a reliable shop to sort it for you.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Babe Ruth
21-09-2002, 07:30 PM
James,

Ok your motherboard is a DFI AD72 series the manuals are available here:

AD72-SN Quick Reference (Jumpers setting) QuickRef (http://sj.dfi.com.tw/download/MANUAL/48801115.PDF) 200Kb
AD72-SN Printed version manual PrintManual (http://sj.dfi.com.tw/download/MANUAL/48710128.PDF) 1218Kb

If you can download both documents - you will need them (if you dont have them)
They are Postscript files so you will need Adobe Acrobat reader (available Here (http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readstep2.html)) loaded to be able to read/print it.

Open the Quick ref document using Adobe Reader and print it out (a single page). Next open the "Printed version manual" using Adobe reader and print out pages 6 through 24 (the quick setup pages).

You will see there is a jumper labelled Clear CMOS (J8) which is right near the round battery and close to the floppy disk controller socket
Normally this will have a jumper across pins 1-2

To clear the CMOS first switch off the PC and unplug from the wall socket before opening the case.

After opening the case and using the printed document locate the Clear CMOS (J8)
take the jumper on J8 off pins 1-2 and put across pins 2-3 (this will 'discharge' the cmos effectively clearing the settings)
Put the jumper back across pin 1-2 of J8.

Put the cover back on the pc.
Well you have now cleared the cmos settings and will have to go into the bios at boot time to reinstate some settings.

The second document "Printed version manual" describes the Award BIOS setup for the motherboard in gory detail.

To get into the bios setup is by pressing the DEL key (or similar)
Select the Standard CMOS Features and within that set the correct Date and Time
Then ESC back to the main bios setup screen and select the Load Optimized Defaults option
Next go back into the Standard CMOS Features option and set the values for:
IDE Primary Master to> AUTO
IDE Primary Master to> AUTO
IDE Secondary Master to> AUTO
IDE Secondary Master to> AUTO

Next press the F10 key to Exit and Save the settings

Now the pc (hopefully) will boot up to some state.

Phew... hope this helps (the manuals are invaluable for this)
If you don't feel comfortable doing this yourself get a knowledgeable (and careful) pc friend to help.

Cheers, Babe.

b1naryb0y
21-09-2002, 08:26 PM
Hi,

Why don't you go here and try one of these bios password crackers

http://www.11a.nu/ibios.htm
or,
http://www.password-crackers.com/crack.html

Good luck.

Baldy
21-09-2002, 10:38 PM
> James,
>
> Ok your motherboard is a DFI AD72 series the manuals
> are available here:
>
> AD72-SN Quick Reference (Jumpers setting)
> 200Kb
> AD72-SN Printed version manual
> [url=http://sj.dfi.com.tw/download/MANUAL/48710128.PDF
> PrintManual (http://sj.dfi.com.tw/download/MANUAL/48801115.PDF
> QuickRef[/url) 1218Kb
>
> If you can download both documents - you will need
> them (if you dont have them)
> They are Postscript files so you will need Adobe
> Acrobat reader (available
> Here (http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readstep2.h
> ml)) loaded to be able to read/print it.
>
> Open the Quick ref document using Adobe Reader and
> print it out (a single page). Next open the "Printed
> version manual" using Adobe reader and print out
> pages 6 through 24 (the quick setup pages).
>
> You will see there is a jumper labelled Clear CMOS
> (J8) which is right near the round battery and
> close to the floppy disk controller socket
> Normally this will have a jumper across pins 1-2
>
> To clear the CMOS first switch off the PC and unplug
> from the wall socket before opening the case.
>
> After opening the case and using the printed document
> locate the Clear CMOS (J8)
> take the jumper on J8 off pins 1-2 and put across
> pins 2-3 (this will 'discharge' the cmos effectively
> clearing the settings)
> Put the jumper back across pin 1-2 of J8.
>
> Put the cover back on the pc.
> Well you have now cleared the cmos settings and will
> have to go into the bios at boot time to reinstate
> some settings.
>
> The second document "Printed version manual"
> describes the Award BIOS setup for the motherboard
> in gory detail.
>
> To get into the bios setup is by pressing the DEL key
> (or similar)
> Select the Standard CMOS Features and within that set
> the correct Date and Time
> Then ESC back to the main bios setup screen and
> select the Load Optimized Defaults option
> Next go back into the Standard CMOS Features option
> and set the values for:
> IDE Primary Master to> AUTO
> IDE Primary Master to> AUTO
> IDE Secondary Master to> AUTO
> IDE Secondary Master to> AUTO
>
> Next press the F10 key to Exit and Save the settings
>
> Now the pc (hopefully) will boot up to some state.
>
> Phew... hope this helps (the manuals are invaluable
> for this)
> If you don't feel comfortable doing this yourself get
> a knowledgeable (and careful) pc friend to help.
>
> Cheers, Babe.
>

[B] I would like to compliment you on a very well written, and easy to understand reply to James' problems Babe

BALDY:-)[B]

Babe Ruth
21-09-2002, 10:46 PM
hey Baldy... thanks mate you're making me :8}

Babe.

JamesStewart
22-09-2002, 11:35 AM
Look guys THANKS for all your help but my dad made a comment in passing "How did you get into the BIOS, you don't know the supervisors password?" And then it clicked, I deleted the USER Password and not the supervisor, so that was the password it was asking for, :). Dad popped it in and :) here I am on the computer! Thanks heaps again, you guys all do a great job.

Happy James