PDA

View Full Version : Phonefree

jaybee
21-09-2002, 09:28 AM
Hi, Anybody out there got opinion on the program "Phonefree"? Would like to know how good/bad it is and, more importanly, is it a X-("spam"X-( machine.

mark c
21-09-2002, 09:31 AM
Never hear of it. What does it do? Sounds like a spam-filled freebie 2 me. :)

jaybee
21-09-2002, 09:59 AM
Goto:- http://www.phonefree.com/
It's for making PC to PC phone calls

NathanTheKind
21-09-2002, 01:21 PM
Nothing (that I know of) is free. if you had to be online to use it you would have to pay ISP fees (alright if you have all you can eat), if not and it is just using the modem, you would still be charged the normal phone charges from Telecom or telstra

:D

Terry Porritt
21-09-2002, 02:18 PM
It seems to be a cross between NetMeeting and ICQ. Note that you can only communicate with other registered Phonefree users.
It could be worth trying out if you have friends and family you communicate with. It's probably ad-sponsored like ICQ.

Terry Porritt
22-09-2002, 05:15 PM
I installed PhoneFree, and registered. The first problem encountered is that it doesnt like my PAL video camera with ASUS combined graphics and video capture card, not one little bit. The video is chewed up, and unlike the NetMeeting video source button, there are no options for setting video mode like PAL or NTSC etc. Worse still, trying to enable video results most times in a BSOD, then having to reboot.

I'll see if I can get hold of a USB webcam, and see if that goes ok.

Havent seen any ads or spam yet, but havent actually communicated with anyone yet.

jaybee
22-09-2002, 05:24 PM
G'day Terry. Thanks for info. Have just bought usb web camera but still finding my way with it. Tried out Yahoo web meeting but kept crashing. Early days yet. Thanks again. Jim

Terry Porritt
29-09-2002, 02:27 PM
Eventually we got around to trying out the PhoneFree program today between Canada (permanent internet connection behind a hardware firewall), and NZ, dial up and ZoneAlarm firewall.

The results were disappointing. To make contact PC to PC, it had to be Canada calling NZ, the other way round was balked by the hardware firewall (that is also the case with NetMeeting). When contact was made only my audio was heard at the other end, no audio from Canada, and also no video in either direction.

Without changing any settings, NetMeeting gave really good results, with no net congestion, excellent audio and video, rather unusual for a weekend.

Verdict: Give PhoneFree a miss, NetMeeting is superior as it works.

Maybe PhoneFree would have worked if it wasnt for the firewall, but the firewall doesnt stop NetMeeting.

PhoneFree video wont work with a video capture card and a PAL video camera, whereas NetMeeting will do so, as well as working with a USB webcam.

The video quality in 'my video' window using a USB webcam was nowhere near as good as with the same camera in Netmeeting.

jaybee
29-09-2002, 03:58 PM
Thanks Terry, that's a whole heap of good information. Will more than likely follow your advice. Thanks again for going to all this trouble. Still finding my way with camera and have never, so far, experimented with ICQ type prgarms. Jim