PDA

View Full Version : CD ROM

Keithbo
21-09-2002, 10:27 AM
Operating system is Windows 95. Start computer and no CD ROM identified. I then go to the Device Manager, and no CD ROM present. Have a "yellow" in the "standard IDE/EDSI Hard Disk Controller". I then update the IDE/EDSI driver from the pre loaded drivers available, and go back to the Device Driver, where the CD ROM is now present and no problem with the IDE/EDSI. CR ROM works fine. The problem is when I shut down the computer and restart, I have to go through the same process each time. Have checked the CD ROM and there is no switches on the unit that could be altered.

Any ideas on how this could be rectified?

tweak\'e
21-09-2002, 10:47 AM
sounds like you may have somethng esle conflicting with the drivers. what other cards are in the system?

get all you drivers ready(check for updated ones) then boot into safe mode and clean out the hardisk controllers.

also check for any OEMxxx.inf" files in the /inf directory. delete or rename those.

Keithbo
27-09-2002, 08:21 PM
My apologies for the delay in responding. Please note tha I am a computer novice, so the latter part of your reply means little.

But yes, there is another conflict in the "Standard Universal PCI to USB Host Contrleer", what ever that is. I go to the device status and it says "system failure - change driver". I then go to update the driver, and then told that file "uhcd.sys" is not found on windows 95 disk (my original set up disk). I have checked all the driver files and have been unable to locate this "uhcd.sys" file on the CD Rom. I would have thought I must have had this driver somewhere, as this is a conflict that has only recenly occured. I have all the disks and CD Roms that were originally supplied with the computer, so is there somewhere I could be looking for this lost driver?

What is the "Standard Universal PCI to USB Host Controller"?

I'm lost

godfather
27-09-2002, 08:28 PM
The PCI to USB Host Controller is just what it says, it is the Universal Serial Bus (USB) controller, handling the interface with the USB ports (little flat sockets for USB peripherals) to the computer system.

It very likely could be the cause of the conflict.

You can download the file from here (http://www.usbtown.com/download/driver.asp?did=745)

I havent got Win 98 so unsure which directory it should go in when downloaded, possibly Windows/System32/

tweak\'e
27-09-2002, 09:03 PM
i would be inclinde to go into the bios and disable the usb ports for now.

get the system up and running before worrying about the usb ports. usb with win95 can be a little troublesome.

don't forget to install the motherboard drivers.

Keithbo
28-09-2002, 10:18 AM
Are you suggesting that the PCI to USB is a peice of equipment that really serves no purpose?

Once again, I am a real novice. How do you find the BIOS? If I disable the USB will there be any problems using the computer? Its an old one with a 200 processor and windows 95, that the children use for simple word processing and games. I suspect it is one of the games that has caused all the grief now being expericenced (it seems to happen after loading Need For Speed)

I have downloaded the driver godfather suggested (onto a disk). It has taken me months to get the CD ROM to work (and as I first said with a bit of hassel each time you start the computer). If I load this driver and loose the CD ROM again, there will be disappointed children. I would prefer to take a safe option, but if at the end of the day I need to go through the process of reloading the CD ROM each time the computer is turned on, then so be it