PDA

View Full Version : Slow to start playing videos

Jester
20-09-2002, 10:50 PM
Hi

Whenever I open a mpeg video (music video), it takes around a minute to start. During this time the pc freezes, there is no hard drive activity, and if I click the mouse more than, say, 4 times, the pc speaker beeps. After the wait, the video starts, and all the things I clicked in frustration open, close and so on. It also occurs between two videos on a play list.

I have recently upgraded to XP, was using Win98SE prior to this and never had any problems with playing videos with that OS.

I have tried a few media players (Zoom Player, Ultra Player, and Windows Media Player), all with the same results. I also get this when playing Videos in Kazaa Lite.

I have opened the system monitor and this shows 4% cpu usuage immediately before starting the file, but also freezes until the video starts.

Using a PIII 667 with 256 RAM (not top of the line now but does all I need).

Any suggestions?

J
:D

Phate
21-09-2002, 06:36 AM
Well if it use to work on the old OS, and it obviously isn't a software problem because you have tried all those video players. The only thing that I can think of on the top of my head is that it is a hardware compatibility problem with XP, or not the latest drivers (sometimes XP installs the wrong drivers). What video card are you using - try downloading a new driver.

Jester
21-09-2002, 10:17 AM
Thanks for that.

I have a nVidia Riva tnt Model 64 AGP card. I updated the driver when I installed XP, and games play ok. Videos also play ok, once they get going. It's the delay of a minute until they start that is bugging me.

Cheers

J.

tweak\'e
21-09-2002, 10:21 AM
i wonder if it more to do with motherboard drivers. does the hardrives have DMA enabled?

Jester
21-09-2002, 10:30 AM
Call me stupid (no, don't really!), but I can't locate in XP, the box I used to get in Win98 that allows to select DMA.

J
:|

godfather
21-09-2002, 10:50 AM
DMA mode must be enabled for all IDE drives in your system.

To do this in Windows XP:

Right-click My Computer, located on the Desktop or in the start menu, and choose Properties.

Select the Hardware tab.

Click the Device Manager button.

Locate and double-click the device for your IDE/ATA controller.

In the IDE/ATA Controller Properties dialog, click the Advanced Settings tab.

Under Transfer mode, select DMA Transfer mode, if available, and click OK.
Repeat for any additional IDE/ATA drives.

Click OK to close the Device Manager dialog.

Close the System Control Panel.

Once you have restarted follow steps 1-5 above once again to make sure "DMA" is in fact still set to enabled.

Jester
21-09-2002, 01:09 PM
Thanks for the suggestion Goddie, I checked and DMA is enabled. I have adjusted various setting in the BIOS, changed pagefile sizes, set different priorities to various components and disabled firewall/antivirus, still no joy. I am getting a little frustrated now :-(

I am bugged why there is no disc activity during the wait period. When I select the video to play, the disk starts to thrash away, then all is silent (the red light on the case doesn't flash) then about 1 second before the video starts it churns away again and the video starts. There's a bottleneck somewhere. Could be another excuse to get more ram...

I appreciate the comments so far.

J.

tweak\'e
21-09-2002, 01:23 PM
ram size is ok. what codec does the movie use? shutdown all other programs and see if that helps.

what filesystem? fat32? did you do a clean install of XP or did you upgrade from 98?

Jester
21-09-2002, 01:41 PM
I have just looked in Video Codec under Sound, Video and Games Controllers in Device Manager.... there are 12 there, mainly .dll or .drv files and one there called Indio Video 5.10.

I don't know anything about codecs, are they are needed to decode the different types of mpeg files so they play (like uncompress)? Do they load on demand, or come pre-installed with media players?

Is it an option to delete them all, and reinstall?

I upgraded from 98 to XP. I know a clean install would have been the way to go (read it many times in here lol), but, I had ran out of blank CDR's to copy everything and couldn't wait .... I know I know, patience isn't my strongest point...

J.

Jester
23-09-2002, 04:34 PM
Hi

I am bumping this back up... I played with the settings a little too much and the system wouldn't boot lol. I successfully transferred anything worth keeping onto another PC by transplanting hard drives, and carried out a clean install of XP.

The problem still remains. I added another 128 meg ram to see if that was the problem and it didn't make a difference.

I strongly suspect that Windows Media Player is holding things up. I cannot see how to uninstall this, I says it's an integral part of XP, does anyone know how to disable or remove it?

Thanks

J.

Dak2
23-09-2002, 07:44 PM
You have exactly the same problem as I do, I havn't found a reason or a fix for it yet either.