PDA

View Full Version : HTML

csinclair83
20-09-2002, 06:11 PM
Does anyone know of anything about HTML, as i need to make a website, for my assignment, and its gotta have html, i know all webpages have a html source, but i need to be able to make a website with html and frontpage (graphics version and html automade) and being able to edit html without a problem..like changing specific colours etc...so yes i would need to study my ass off to know more about HTML, but does anyone recommend any books, websites, cds, anything that you beleive would help me with this...I'd really appreciate it :-)
Thanks heaps :-)

godfather
20-09-2002, 06:17 PM
Chris, if you can get your hands on the last PC World CD, it was on the September mag. It has NetObjects Fusion 5, a free web page creator.

It is drag and drop, BUT the good thing is it generates the HTML that you can edit or view, to get an understanding of the code. Wont remove the need to study (and there are scores of sites on the web to learn at) but I found it very helpful to "reverse engineer" a page to see how it worked.

Jen C
20-09-2002, 06:19 PM
HTML: An Interactive Tutorial For Beginners (http://www.davesite.com/webstation/html/)

loser
20-09-2002, 06:24 PM
search on google.com or look in the google directory. There are gonna be a million and a half HTML tuts out there...
HTML isn't hard as far as languages go anyway, you shouldn't have too many problems.
I just found this now, looks ok....
http://www.mcli.dist.maricopa.edu/tut/lessons.html

Phate
20-09-2002, 06:26 PM
HTML, do you need to understand the language (it is easy it just involves tags, yes I know it) and if you want, I can give you a hand

Zan

Sam H
20-09-2002, 07:30 PM
Hi mate, HTML is very easy to learn I recommend this site (http://www.lissaexplains.com) to get to know the very basics and from there you should be all right to be able to look for you want on google. There are a vast amount of helpful sites out there, do a search on google for html tutorials or something like that. If your stuck I would be glad to help with any problems your having.

Chris Wilson
20-09-2002, 08:27 PM
the most basic html is as complex as labeling a bit of bold text bold in this forum, the main diferance being the use of
bit of bold text
< and > brackets instead of the [ and ] used in this forum.

What this says is
<do this> to this </do this> the final bit with the"/" meaning "you can stop now"

Have a wee look at a simple pages code ("view source" in most browsers)
it will read something like
<html>
<head>
info about color schems etc
</head>
<body>
the text
someother stuff
</body>
</html>

now take this:

<html>
<head>
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
</head>
<body>
your text
</body>
</html>

write it in notepad, and save it as a .htm file
Ta-da! instant crude page, now look at some simple pages, and borrow the code you see there and see if it works for you.

csinclair83
20-09-2002, 11:37 PM
I'd love heaps of help :-)
its easy to do but its just, where the tab goes etc...
and i've attempted html before, and all was well having the "guide" with me..tells me what tab does what..and colour code..
and when i returned book to library, i totally stuffed up the page lol..and forgotten the book name :-(

If you all have websites etc that would definately help, could you email them on to sinclair@man.quik.co.nz

Many thanks

by the way, will be getting the september copy of pcworld on wednesday :-)

Chilling_Silence
20-09-2002, 11:44 PM
Okay, www.webmonkey.com is a good place to start, goto tutorial of HTML.
Here's an example of a REAL basic page that you could save to a HTML file an look at yourself:

<HTML>
<HEAD>
<TITLE>csinclair83's Demo Page</TITLE>
</HEAD>

<BODY>
<H1>Big Text</H1><H6> or Smallest Text</H6>

Break

<HR>

Horizontal rule followed by break

PressF1.co.nz Link (www.pressf1.co.nz)

PicHere.jpgand a pic

</BODY>
</HTML>

This has just demonstrated most of the basic web page tags you'll need.
Use notepad as a good editor and make sure that when saving you select All Files and then finish the filename with a *.html extension!

Hope that's helped....

Chilling_Silence

Gorela
20-09-2002, 11:47 PM
Hi Chris,

What the others were meaning about checking pages was along the lines of checking the source code for Press F1 page (for instance, not really the best site for starting with as it has heaps of code!)

As you have XP you are probably browsing with IE. So go to the View menu and then simply click on Source. That will show you the code used to create the page you are currently looking at.

Hope this helps. Just finished my HTML assignment, so I can relax!

SoniKalien
21-09-2002, 12:16 AM
http://www.webmonkey.com

Chris Wilson
21-09-2002, 03:45 PM
Of course if you take me or chills advise, and make a simple website, for self teaching purposes, you could put it up on the net somewhere for us to check out.

Id recommend uploading it to Orcon, you have to join the community at www.orcon.net.nz, and then you can have a free site, and free pop3 e-mail address, you'll need an ftp program to upload, Orcon have a really good guide on how to do this. The server also lives in NZ, i like this.

Once you've done that, you can post the address (yoursite.orcon.net.nz) here, and we can tell you what you need to do to achieve what you want.

First trap, make sure you upload "pichere.jpg" (see chills example) to the same folder as the index page.

The index page, usually called "index.htm" , or "index.html" is the one that the server spits out in response to the main address.
In other words
yoursite.orcon.net.nz
is really
yoursite.orcon.net.nz/index.htm

Between the reference sites, and F1, you'll be learning html 101 in no time!

csinclair83
22-09-2002, 10:46 PM
Hey Guys! My apologies for not replying to this thread sooner, somehow i lost it in the many pages and couldnt find a "notification" telling me that i had messages...
Am here now :-)
Thanks all for all ur helpful messages, am going to cruise thru those sites recommended and hopefully could have a site up by the week of 6th October (as I'm going away for the next 2 weeks as of the upcoming thursday) So will put a message on here to let u all know my website is up and going... :-)

Chris Wilson
22-09-2002, 10:48 PM
yee har!

looking forward to seeing it!