PDA

View Full Version : linux can't connect

loser
20-09-2002, 04:37 PM
I can't connect to paradise when in linux... using the internet dialer in gnome (on the desktop).
i've checked the phone number and the settings that i can think of, checked the username and password.
it dials, does the handshake, says "expecting login", login pops up on the log window and then it says "no carrier".
any help good ta.
got an external serial dynalink, mandrake 8.2

bmason
20-09-2002, 04:46 PM
They use CHAP authentication which is probably the problem.

AFAIK only the KDE dialer supports it (at the interface level anyway).

loser
20-09-2002, 04:52 PM
i'm not really with you. i'm a newbie....
i had it running a while back fine, but then i reformatted, been out of action for a while, and now i can't get it going again. last time i didn't have to do anything, it just worked with default everything.....

bmason
22-09-2002, 05:31 PM
It is trying to use a script based logon where it supplies your user name (login) and password when the remote computer asks for it.

You need to set the authentication type to CHAP. Where the setting is located depends on the dialer your using.

In KPPP it is under account settings, "Dial" tab. There is a drop down list called "Authentication:".

loser
22-09-2002, 05:44 PM
sweet I'll try that. Thanks.

chriswattson
22-09-2002, 06:34 PM
hi loser (tim) can u help me with my advance ac'97 audio driver problem? i uninstalled it now i don't have any sound!! can u help me get it back!!
no one else will help me!!

thanks..
TiM:*)

Rod ger
22-09-2002, 10:15 PM
Hi,
This is a bit late so it probably won't be picked up. I've had the same problem even with CHAP. The log gets to:

LOGIN:
NO CARRIER

At the bottom there is a dialog "Expecting word"
Hope someone can help.

bmason
22-09-2002, 10:38 PM
I think that means its still trying to use script based authentication rather than CHAP or PAP.

Rod ger
22-09-2002, 11:04 PM
Hi Brett,
I'm using knoppix and a complete newbie at it. I used the wizard to get the initial setup ( it knew Paradise Ph and IP Numbers!!!!) and then edited the setup to ajust to CHAP. There was an option of CHAP/PAP, do you think that would make any difference??

loser
23-09-2002, 05:24 PM
ok, but the other pressf1 users might not like me too much for helping you.

You should have a CD that goes with your motherboard. If you have a gigabyte m/b still the the CD will probably be green, or maybe blue....
anyway, chuck that in, and it should autoload. Navigate around the cd app and find the option to install sound drivers.... follow that through and it should be working again.

If you don't have a cd then you will have to go to www.gigabyte.co.nz and click on the "products" tab, then on motherboards, then find your model and download the drivers.

That's it.

bmason
23-09-2002, 07:27 PM
I've actually had it set to CHAP/PAP since I last setup my account with no problems.

I think they are quite similar, with CHAP being a bit more secure (my syslog mentions using MD5 keys).

loser
23-09-2002, 07:46 PM
hellooooooooooooo.................
hello from the world of linux.
To the other dude with the same problem, I honestly would tell you how I did it, but I not quite sure. I definitely set it to pap/chap
Then I was clicking some stuff, and then I deleted a line out of either /etc/ppp/pap-secrets or /etc/ppp/chap-secrets. I'm not sure if it's that that did it though. I deleted all the stuff in the script tab in kppp too... hope it helps you

Rod ger
24-09-2002, 12:40 PM
Yes we have no bananas! Tried CHAP/PAP, No go. I even read the help section but it seemed to be written for people who probably don't need help.