PDA

View Full Version : win xp log on

csinclair83
20-09-2002, 11:57 AM
How can i change the blue screen that comes up with "log on"
i wanna change it to my own graphics if even possible..

I use windows xp home edition

Mike
20-09-2002, 12:20 PM
Try StyleXP - there are several programs that let you change the settings, do a search on www.download.com for some

Mike.

csinclair83
20-09-2002, 12:25 PM
what am i actually looking for to download?
and once i download..what do i do ?

godfather
20-09-2002, 01:16 PM
I don't think StyleXP will do that screen, to allow your own graphics, but you could try.

>what am i actually looking for to download?

StyleXP - look for it on google

>and once i download..what do i do ?

Run the program

csinclair83
20-09-2002, 01:52 PM
if style xp doesnt do it..
what else could i use

godfather
20-09-2002, 02:11 PM
Dont know, because in XP you are playing with the system files then prior to log-in. The security is tighter than other windows versions 9x

You may need to do a registry hack, but will need to really know the system for that. If you don't mind reloading from scratch?

You know what you want to do, refine it down to 3 or 4 keywords and use google.

Given that its only seen at log-in, you must be desperate!

csinclair83
20-09-2002, 02:14 PM
i am desperate coz blue is my worse colour of all lol...just cant stand the colour...
just want to change it to something unblue then i'd be satisfied lol...
my whole computer is redish apart from that logon...and its just irritating that i ahve to see it every time i turn the computer on...

but if it would be a problem and having a risk of reformatting..
then i should just learn to accept microsoft's ugly blue format for ONCE....

Graham Petrie
20-09-2002, 02:47 PM
It is very easy.

The file which sets your logon screen is called logonui.exe

You can modify the file yourself using a resource hacker, but if you don't want to mess around with your system files, simply search on google for XP Logon screens.

There are hundreds of sites that let you download cool logonscreens for free, then all you do is bckup the original logoui.exe, and replace it with the downloaded one. Here is a pic of my logon and boot screens at the moment...

logon screen (http://knightguider.orcon.net.nz/logon.gif)

boot screen (http://knightguider.orcon.net.nz/boot.gif)

Style XP "skins" windows XP by utilising XP's ability to accept styles. You can save yourself the cost of StyleXP if you don't mind a bit of system-file hacking and mucking around.

Here is my current theme - JM will recognise it as I got it off a guy at another forum he frequents.

desktop (http://knightguider.orcon.net.nz/desk.jpg)

Sorry about the image quality, but I wanted the pictures to load fast for those of us on dial-up.

G P

csinclair83
20-09-2002, 02:51 PM
oh man they are incrediable awesome pictures :-)
i'd have soo much fun doing all that :-)
by da way whats the theme u used for ur desktop...
i love the taskbar down the bottom and how its all laid out :-)

I'll have a look on google 2nite, as my bus home from course is calling :-)

Hope to have sooo much more help on this :-)

Mike
20-09-2002, 03:01 PM
GP,

what kind of resource hacker do you use to do it? I have no problem with messing around with my system files - last time I used styleXP it messed me up enough so I'm not using that again :D

Mike.

Graham Petrie
20-09-2002, 03:10 PM
csinclair - I will put a copy of that theme up for download somewhere and let you know. The layout of all the icons in the taskbar was me spending ages creating toolbars full of shortcuts, but once it's done, it saves so much time fooling around in the start menu.

Mike - On the style XP website is a link for uxthemepatcher.exe

It is a patched version of the windows xp uxtheme.dll file.

There are instructions inside the zip file on how to patch the file. TIP: boot to safe mode first as it is a lot easier.

Once patched, you just put your downloaded .msstyle themes into c:\windows\resources\themes and they should appear in the appearance dialog along with xp's original themes - no external app required.

As far as designing your own boot logos, i use a app called resource hacker (I might put a zip up for download too later on today and give you the link).

It will let you modify the xp kernel to change the bootlogo, athough an app called bootxp will do this also (get the one for sp1 if you have sp1 installed as the kernel is different.)

Logon screens can be downloaded easily enough, but for custom ones, get logonloader - it gives a graphical interface for changinf logon screens. i fyou need any more info, post back, but I have to go now... GF is waiting!

G P

Mike
20-09-2002, 03:15 PM
Thanks GP... I'll do a search for those files later, unless you post a link to them first :)

Mike.

csinclair83
20-09-2002, 04:29 PM
awesome, cant wait to see the theme uploaded somewhere so i can download :-)
thanks heaps for ya help :-)

am gonna get my computer friend...he probably doesnt know how to do it himself too but will show him this discussion and see if he can do it..
i dont trust myself in the registry...god bless windows 98se which i totally stuffed up :-(

Susan B
20-09-2002, 04:40 PM
> i am desperate coz blue is my worse colour of all
> lol...just cant stand the colour...
> just want to change it to something unblue then i'd
> be satisfied lol...

Why can't you just shut your eyes while your PC is booting up? ;\

Take no notice, I'm just being norty

csinclair83
20-09-2002, 04:59 PM
i could do that..
what if i open them 2 early ewwwwwww
what if i open them too late and i guess thats 5 mins valuable computer using time i just lost in my lifetime lol :D

Phate
20-09-2002, 04:59 PM
If you would send the theme, that would be awesome, it has a cool user interface.

Phate
20-09-2002, 05:02 PM
You could of course, usefast user switching which results in having the Windows Classic stye - but thats only if your traditional - Tradition! (Sudden inspiration from 'Fiddler on the roof')
:D

csinclair83
20-09-2002, 05:03 PM
nah..
i love what i got...just the colour is soooo microsofty and yukky lol
i just want it something else instead of blue!

Susan B
20-09-2002, 05:04 PM
> If you would send the theme, that would be awesome,
> it has a cool user interface.

You do realise that he charges $20 in 5c coins, don't you?

csinclair83
20-09-2002, 05:05 PM
who charges who

Graham Petrie
20-09-2002, 05:20 PM
OK, I have put the files up. I hope too many of you don't try to download them as my orcon account doesn't allow mass downloading of files.

The theme is here (http://knightguider.orcon.net.nz/dragonstyle.zip) (zip file 310kb)

Bootxp is here (http://knightguider.orcon.net.nz/bootxpsetupmfc.exe) (exe file 1.09mb)

Logonloader is here (http://knightguider.orcon.net.nz/Logon_Loader_2.1.0.zip) (zip file 912kb)

uxthemepatcher is here (http://knightguider.orcon.net.nz/uxthemepatcher.zip) (zip file 17kb)

The theme is just the colour scheme, etc - the big taskbar etc is mine (you will have to do it too, it is not automatically created by the theme). You can do it for your current desktop aswell.

I don't charge anyone, Susan is teasing. (by the way it's who charges whom?)

G P

Graham Petrie
20-09-2002, 05:26 PM
Oh, mike here (http://knightguider.orcon.net.nz/ResourceHacker.zip) is resource hacker. To modify the boot logo using resource hacker, you also need paintshop pro or photoshop, and the appropriate colour palette as the boot logo is limited to 16 specific colours (unless you REALLY hack the kernel and move some hex around.)

G P

-=JM=-
20-09-2002, 06:14 PM
The site for StyleXP uxthemepatcher and other tools is http://www.tgtsoft.com currently they do not have an updated uxthemepatcher to to handle SP1 and I'm not sure if they will be releasing one.

uxthemepatcher is just the .dll file that gets replaced when you install styleXP. Without all the baggage though. I have seen a couple of other ones which supposedly will handle SP1 but I haven't given them a go yet.

Graham Petrie
20-09-2002, 06:33 PM
I have SP1 and I am using the old uxthemepatch. Works just fine.

G P

-=JM=-
20-09-2002, 07:38 PM
Well it doesn't seem to want to work for me.

Graham Petrie
20-09-2002, 08:07 PM
JM, what is it doing/not doing??

G P

-=JM=-
20-09-2002, 09:14 PM
Unable to patch UXTHEME.DLL.
This version supports build versions 2600, 3541, 3590.

There is no support for this program.

Please check the http://www.tgtsoft.com web site for an update.

Is what it tells me. I'll get round to grabbing one from somewhere else or downloading the styleXP update.

csinclair83
20-09-2002, 10:29 PM
where do i extract the "theme" to...
the folder with all other themes..where is that by the way?

-=JM=-
20-09-2002, 11:21 PM
C:\WINDOWS\Resources\Themes

is where they go.

J ZEP
20-09-2002, 11:24 PM
Graham - your the best, that LogonLoader is excellent. I am having trouble downloading what i want cause the server was down @ the site i am finding the logons i REALLY like! But i will persist :D, One question - at the moment i am using the standard windows xp logon but have just personalised the account pics, will it be necessary to back that up? Can i just put it in the directory of logonLoader in case i stuff up and need it back? Basically how do i back up this one if i have to? As i think i better before i change it!!!

csinclair83
20-09-2002, 11:27 PM
ok..i extracted them to go there..
and then i clicked on desktop and shortcut menu came..went to properties then themes tab..still nothing? i guess i doing something wrong
,,,can someone give me a step by step guide thru

-=JM=-
21-09-2002, 12:29 AM
Have you patched your uxtheme.dll or installed styleXP ?

The .THEME file goes in C:\WINDOWS\Resources\Themes with the rest of the stuff going in a folder inside their.

The .MSSTYLE files go into a folder in C:\WINDOWS\Resources\Themes.

Another alternative is to double-click on the files themselves.

csinclair83
21-09-2002, 12:31 AM
what i got from downloading that theme file is
dragonstyle (windows visual style file)
and 2 folders.,..one for wallpaper and one with cursors..
what file goes into themes, and the rest goes into its own folder inside themes...

Chris

Graham Petrie
21-09-2002, 12:10 PM
J ZEP - It only changes the background, so you don't have to backup your account pics, etc.

JM - I do not receive that error message with SP-1. Did you try it before using SP-1?? If so, do you still have a copy of uxtheme.pat?

I didn't bother running uxthemepatcher after I installed SP-1, I just used the already extracted uxtheme.pat file and went through the renaming process.

Chris - for the themes to appear in the appearance menu, you need to have patched the uxtheme.dll file using uxthemepatcher.exe. Otherwise you need to download stylexp from tgtsoft and use that (It is limited use shareware - ie you need to pay for it after 30 days).

The themes go inside their own folder inside C:\windows\resources\themes The .msstyle file is the style. Everything else like wallpaper and cursors can go anywhere as the are applied manally. If a theme doesn't show up in the style list in the appearance dialog box and you have patched the uxtheme.dll file, it may be a poorly written style. You can make it work by double clicking the .msstyle file whenever you want to apply that theme.

e.g. open the dragon theme zip with winzip or winRAR and locate the file dragonstyle.msstyle Extract it to the following folder C:\windows\resources\themes\dragonstyle

If uxtheme.dll is patched, it should work (no restart required)

You can then extract the wallpaper etc to another location and apply them in the usual way

G P

Graham Petrie
21-09-2002, 12:13 PM
J ZEP - I just reread your post - if you are also wanting to save the original windows logon background, don't worry logoloader backs it up itself, all you have to do is click the restore original button and the original windows one will be back.

G P

Susan B
21-09-2002, 04:05 PM
This thread is making me jealous. :-(

I want something to fiddle with too. And I want pretty desktop themes too. And I want a grunty machine that doesn't start going backwards when I have more than a blank desktop wallpaper.

goes off to check progress on plans for forthcoming new computer

Mike
22-09-2002, 12:03 PM
> Unable to patch UXTHEME.DLL.
> This version supports build versions 2600, 3541,
> 3590.
>
> There is no support for this program.
>
> Please check the http://www.tgtsoft.com web site for
> an update.
>
> Is what it tells me. I'll get round to grabbing one
> from somewhere else or downloading the styleXP
> update.

Says the same thing for me too, JM. They've updated StyleXP for Sp1, so maybe an update for the uxtheme thing will come soon too.

Mike.

Mike
22-09-2002, 12:45 PM
Ah, I've found a uxtheme.dll patch for SP1

here

but it requires some fiddling to get it in:

Here's quick and dirty instructions for replacing the uxtheme.dll file installed by XP Service Pack 1 with the patched version available here(requires WinRAR to extract, available from RARLab).
Open Windows Explorer and copy c:/windows/system32/uxtheme.dll to c:/windows/system32/uxtheme.bak
Still in Windows Explorer, copy uxtheme.dll from the RAR file to c:/
Insert your Windows XP installation CD into your CDROM drive.
Reboot your computer and enter the BIOS. Set your first boot device to CDROM.
Reboot again. Hit enter when prompted to boot off CDROM (most systems should just boot off the CDROM automatically).
Let Windows XP begin installation process. Don't do anything when prompted to hit F2 or F6. Wait until you get the first prompt asking you what you want to do.
Hit 'R' on your keyboard to enter the Recovery Console.
When prompted, select which Windows you want to logon to. Hit '1' on your keyboard unless you have a multi-boot setup. In this case, select your XP installation.
When prompted, enter the Administrator password.
At the command prompt, copy the patched uxtheme.dll file overtop of the existing file in the system32 directory. To do this execute these commands in order (<enter> means hit the Enter button on your keyboard):

cd c:/<enter>
copy c:/uxtheme.dll c:/windows/system32<enter>

Windows will prompt you:

Overwrite c:/windows/system32/uxtheme.dll? (Yes/No/All):

type:

yes<enter>
exit<enter>

Your system should automatically reboot. Enter your BIOS and reset your first boot device to HDD0 or whatever it was before selecting CDROM. Reboot again and logon to Windows as usual. Select your unsigned theme and enjoy!

If your system won't bootup for some reason, you can bootup into the Recovery Console and restore c:/windows/system32/uxtheme.bak to c:/windows/system32/uxtheme.dll.

Hope this works - I haven't tried it yet :)

Mike.

Mike
22-09-2002, 12:46 PM
PS do this at your own risk :) If you don't know what you're doing, then I'd advise you to be extremely careful and be prepared to reinstall if you stuff things up :) (shouldn't happen, but you never know!)

Mike.

Graham Petrie
22-09-2002, 02:30 PM
You don't need to use recovery console - safe mode works.

Boot to safe mode

delete uxtheme.dll from c:\windows\system32\dllcache

rename uxtheme.dll in c:\windows\system32 to uxtheme.old

copy the downloaded file to c:\windows\system32

done - no recovery console required.

The old version of the patch works with SP-1, it is just the uxthemepatcher was designed to check the build no. Because sp-1 wasn't released when uxthemeptcher was made, it doesn't recognise the build no. and rejects the patch. If you already have a copy of the patch file from pre sp1, you can just use that file without running uxthemepatcher.

Same disclaimer as Mike gave regarding playing with system files. Proof that it is harmful??? I just spent an hour restoring a backup of my system because I killed it whilst playing with these files (my fault I did something stupid, but easy enough to do if you don't know what you are doing). I couldn't even boot my machine.

G P

Mike
22-09-2002, 04:38 PM
> Oh, mike
> here (http://knightguider.orcon.net.nz/ResourceHacker.z
> p) is resource hacker. To modify the boot
> logo using resource hacker, you also need paintshop
> pro or photoshop, and the appropriate colour palette
> as the boot logo is limited to 16 specific colours
> (unless you REALLY hack the kernel and move some hex
> around.)
>
> G P

So what file am I wanting to play with to edit the logon screen then? (I thought I read it somewhere in this thread, but I can't find it now :))

Mike.

Graham Petrie
22-09-2002, 04:59 PM
logoui.exe - inside same folder as ntoskrnl.exe

G P

flying_green_leprachaun
22-09-2002, 06:55 PM
Oh

My

God

I love you guys...

I had no idea that style XP existed.....

Yay (http://homepages.visp.co.nz/~fgl/main/stuff/Yay.gif)