PDA

View Full Version : Windows Calculator

mikep
20-09-2002, 12:34 PM
Is it possible to put a shortcut for the Windows Calculator into the system tray for super fast access?
I am forever clicking on Start>Run, typing calc because it's faster than browsing for it & using the calculator, then accidentally closing it after a single use. I use the calculator almost on a daily basis & sometimes for 30 minutes at a stretch.

We have 4 real full size calculators in our home but do you think I can keep one on my desk with family present?, not a chance.

If anybody has a sloution that applies to Win98/Me/2K/XP, please let me know.

Mike P

Danger
20-09-2002, 12:53 PM
Mike, I used to have a short cut in the quicklaunch toolbar but have now moved it to a file that has all my office tools in one place now. I thought that the original calculator was found in accessories but I just had a look and couldn't find it there. If you can find it you should be able to right clik and create a shortcut to your desktop and then place it on your quick launch toolbar.
Win Me.

mikep
20-09-2002, 02:50 PM
Thanks for responding.
I already know about the quick launch method, but I already have my 4 favourite shortcuts there & anything extra placed in the quick menu tends to disappear into the overflow area. The quick launch bar can be resized for the current session, but a restart resets it to the default 4 icons & everything else is placed into an overflow area. For this reason, I only keep 4 shortcuts in the quick launch bar.

What I really want if, at all possible, is a method to load an icon into the system tray at boot that doesn't invoke the calculator, but allows direct access when needed.

MikeP

Blue_face
20-09-2002, 04:12 PM
Hey mikep...

If you dont mind putting a shortcut on your desktop, u can locate the calculator from your C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32 folder, file name called 'calc'.
just right click and drag the file to your desktop, then select 'Create shortcut here' and u'll hav ur shortcut.

as for your quick launch bar, you still can rearrange the order of the icons just by click and drag with your left mouse button.

Alternatively, you can buy the microsoft natural pro keyboard, which has a calculator shortcut key built into it. :)

Susan B
20-09-2002, 05:46 PM
Do what I do: put a shortcut to Calculator on the Start menu or on your Desktop, right click the shortcut>Properties and assign a shortcut key combination such as Ctrl-Alt-C (try this combination first though in case it belongs to something else).

All you need do then is use your shortcut keys and there is your Calculator, instantly. It sure beats mucking around with taskbar icons.

-=JM=-
20-09-2002, 07:07 PM
I've got a MS Internet Keyboard and just hit the Calculator button :)

I recommend just having a shortcut in the quicklaunch unless you've got a keyboard which lets you assign programs

Phate
20-09-2002, 07:39 PM
Why not simply place the calculator in the Quicklaunch and then extend it? So you can make five things appear there?? Would that not be easier?

Zan

Orac
20-09-2002, 08:22 PM
Go on..we know you want to..

Buy a Bigger Monitor.

Then you will have heaps more real estate to plonk all sorts of things
in your quick launch bar. (hahh)

==Orac==

Graeme
20-09-2002, 09:29 PM
Might not be what you want but ...
in all Win OS's you can create a toolbar that pops up when you move the mouse to the edge of the screen where you have put the toolbar. On the toolbar you can have lots of shortcuts with single click to run.

To create a toolbar, right click on the taskbar - select toolbars -> new toolbar. You have to specify a folder that you should first create somewhere (anywhere) that contains all the shortcuts you want on the toolbar. Drag the new toolbar off the taskbar and to the edge of the screen you would like it to be. Right click on it to configure it. Select auto hide and always on top.

Graeme

Susan B
20-09-2002, 09:32 PM
> I've got a MS Internet Keyboard and just hit the
> Calculator button :)
>
> I recommend just having a shortcut in the quicklaunch
> unless you've got a keyboard which lets you assign
> programs

So do you guys with the grunty machines these days not worry about keeping things trim and slim to extract the absolute last ounce of speed now?

I disabled the keyboard quick launch program long ago and have only one program in my startup (Outpost) so that I don't have to wait half an hour before the old girl will let me play. But she was soooo fast compared to the old old machine when I first got her.

I still like my shortcut keys solution.

-=JM=-
20-09-2002, 10:24 PM
I have no added programs for it. XP just handles it straight away.

As for programs that launch on start up, I've got the following:
Zone Alarm 3
Gigabyte Utility Manager <-- bog standard temp reader
NAV 2002
Daemon Tools
IntelliPoint <-- should disable that