PDA

View Full Version : ie6 toobars

allanl
20-09-2002, 11:10 AM
I visited a web site that contained lots of pop ups and other evil things. A couple of them were blank explorer pages. These pages keep appearing every time I now start ie6 plus the explorer search pane keeps appearing on the left (I don't want it) and the "Search explorer toolbar" (i don't want it) also keeps appearing. Also something reset my home page. I have fixed the home page. I have deselected the toolbar by right clicking then deselecting. It always appears again when ie6 starts. I have closed the search pane but it always keeps appearing on start up. How can I make the toolbar and the pane not appear when ie6 starts? How can I kill these blank ie6 panes that appear when ie6 starts? I run norton personal firewall and the security setting for ie6 is set to medium.
Thanks

honeylaser
20-09-2002, 11:23 AM
Reinstall IE6. Don't forget to save your favourites and do a complete history/cache cleanout beforehand.

honeylaser
20-09-2002, 11:25 AM
You might want to also check that you don't have spyware installed. Download Ad-Aware (http://www.lavasoftusa.com/downloads.html) to do a cleanout of any potentially malicious programs.

allanl
20-09-2002, 11:25 AM
That was the first thing I did. Used the ie6 install from the july pcworld cd. Still the same problems

SoniKalien
20-09-2002, 11:37 AM
Opera....

Kahawai_Chaser
20-09-2002, 11:42 AM
Hi..

Had a similar problem with a uninvited searchbar (Commonname) invading IE6. This was seen in add/remove programs in Control Panel. Hence You may be able to find the program via uninstall...but if you downloaded a free program it may have piggybacked on that program, and if uninstalled, may affect your program.
You may be able to temporalily disable by looking at what starts up, by ticking off uninvited programs (Click Start- Run; then type msconfig; then click startup for the programs) ; Or press alt-control-delete quickly see uninvited running programs)...

Don't know much about the blanks when using the search pane...Could try adware from Lavasoft which scans for addware files or settings on the drive and registry which can be deleted...

Kiwitas
20-09-2002, 12:08 PM
Hi allanl,

You will find the spyware bot"ALEXA" installed any time you update

IE. AdAware will get rid of it for you!

Cheers,Kiwitas,;-)

tweak\'e
20-09-2002, 12:13 PM
check the FAQ's, give adaware a run through, check the bho's with bho deamon.

once you get it fixed, go do WINDOWS UPDATES.

allanl
20-09-2002, 12:21 PM
I've run adware and pest patrol and reinstalled ie6. Same problem with resetting toolbars and blank ie windows opening up. Got one http address for a blank window "ad.doubleclick.net". How can I find out what is launching this?
Thanks

allanl
20-09-2002, 12:46 PM
Many thanks to Kawhai_chaser and the hint. Nasty liitle program had installed itself and removing through the control panel fixed all of my problems. Something that ad-aware, nortons firewall or pest control did not pick up! Thanks to all replys.

tweak\'e
20-09-2002, 12:54 PM
what was the program?