PDA

View Full Version : Linux network internet connection

JoGiles
19-09-2002, 06:35 PM
hey there people.
now that Linux is installed, I want to get my internet working.

I have a dialup connection that is dialed from another computer that is shared over the network using internet connection sharing.

Does anyone know how to initiate internet connections over the network?

thanks,
Jonathan Giles

Graham L
19-09-2002, 06:42 PM
There will be a configuration utility ... if you're using Gnome or KDE, look att he buttons. I don't think that the Linux will work well with ICS on a Windows gateway.;-) Try apropos ppp. Have a look through the HOWTOs ... it's "mostly" there. (use PPP rather than diald).

Chris Wilson
19-09-2002, 06:53 PM
Linux ey?
Not SuSe by any chance?
(Quick snail mail!)

Hey i read and re read your post, and i'm not sure from it if you wish to connect the linux box to the net via another machine, or connect the linux box directly and then share your connection to others in the network.
i'm doing the later, its really easy! There are advantages in using the more stable system to connect other things together.

Me being on cable all my IPs etc are fixed, and of course its a network card rather than a modem in the server, but these are the only important differances. I'll think you'll find everything you need when you open Yaste2

JoGiles
19-09-2002, 07:37 PM
Sorry, I'm wanting to connect through another computer (until I can get my server hooked up to adsl) which has a dial up connection..

cheers,
Jonathan Giles

Chris Wilson
19-09-2002, 07:40 PM
log in as root, and on the bottom of the tray will be a shortcut to yast2 click around you will find all you need!