PDA

View Full Version : Missing Virtual Device Driver Files

Chilling_Silence
19-09-2002, 01:30 PM
I've got two files showind up missing after having installed a modem on a friends PC.
OS is Win98
I've installed the driver, and it comes up in Device manager saying that it's missing the files:
NTKERN.VXD
and
CONFIGMG.VXD
I've got them from the microsoft site - Just went to the first thing that came up on google and then nicked them from the executable.
What do I do with these to get the modem to stop saying that?
Really urgent, Any comments or suggestions helpful

Cheers

Chilling_Silence

godfather
19-09-2002, 01:46 PM
From the web, it covers your files:

When installing win'98 some vxd files in your system directory don't get installed. (Way to go Bill).

To resolve 20 to 50% of the system errors in any Win98 build, extract these vxd files manually from cabs 47 and 48 of your Windows 98 CD into c:\windows\system and c:\windows\system\vmm32.
Here they are:

vcomm.vxd
vdmad.vxd
configmg.vxd
vdd.vxd
vmouse.vxd
ntkern.vxd
vflatd.vxd

Extract these files to both directories and reboot. Note: In Windows 98SE, the files are located in cabs 53 and 54.

Chilling_Silence
19-09-2002, 01:54 PM
Cheers, I'll have to remember that one coz its happened before!!
Man, If BG had a buck for every time somebody said thanks to him sarcastically, he'd never have to design software again! *Grins Cheesily*
Thanks

Chilling_Silence

Chilling_Silence
20-09-2002, 12:31 PM
Hi, GF,
The error message still comes up. It's missing the two files (code 2).
I've reinstalled the driver several times, installed those files from the cabs mention (All the files in Both cabs) to the system and the vmm32 folders. Still no luck with it, as in the properties it comes up unable to initialize.
Modem's in Ctrl Panel doesn't pick it up coz its not working properly either. It's not diabled, and has no conflicting IRQ's and stuff....
Is there anything else that can be done??
Cheers
Chilling_Silence

Chilling_Silence
20-09-2002, 01:20 PM
Is there anything else that can be done? or is it hopeless?

antmannz
20-09-2002, 01:49 PM
Maybe you should try:

Start > Run > regsvr32 <filename> > OK

for each of those files. I dunno if it will work, but I reckon it's worth a shot.

And I thought BG did get $1 for every time ...... :p

Bruce123123
31-01-2008, 04:23 PM
My computer was also complaining of missing the vmouse.vxd driver. (windows 98). Reboots, uninstall/reinstall of the mouse driver did not work. I looked at the system.ini file and saw garbage at the front of it. I deleted the garbage, saved the file, rebooted and both my PS2 and USB mice worked.

Posting here in case I forget later and need a reminder to look at my system.ini file for corruption.

For those of you who are mouse chanllenged:
<ctl><esc> brings up the start menu. start notepad
<alt> brings up the menu bar, use the arrow keys to File Open
Open C:\windows\system.ini remove the garbage, save the file and reboot.

Everything was fine after that for me.

IllegalCharacter
31-01-2008, 06:45 PM
Maybe you should try checking to see if there are any newer drivers or patches

beeswax34
01-02-2008, 12:14 AM
My computer was also complaining of missing the vmouse.vxd driver. (windows 98). Reboots, uninstall/reinstall of the mouse driver did not work. I looked at the system.ini file and saw garbage at the front of it. I deleted the garbage, saved the file, rebooted and both my PS2 and USB mice worked.

Posting here in case I forget later and need a reminder to look at my system.ini file for corruption.

For those of you who are mouse chanllenged:
<ctl><esc> brings up the start menu. start notepad
<alt> brings up the menu bar, use the arrow keys to File Open
Open C:\windows\system.ini remove the garbage, save the file and reboot.

Everything was fine after that for me.

Maybe we should all let a thread from 2002 go now. I'm sure Chilling Silence has solved his problem by now.