PDA

View Full Version : Need help

Ephraim L.
19-09-2002, 10:41 AM
hi

can sum1 tell me how to split my hard drive into two. like 30gigs split into two 15gigs even if there are files already in it.

and also when i have split the disk into two will i be able to formatt one part and install win98 on it. while the other part are for just program files?

and one more thing could this process be easy and maybe just maybe
"destroy" my files?

Thankz
=)

Peter H
19-09-2002, 10:46 AM
Yes. You will need a program called "Partition Magic" Before using, back-up your Data etc. but I had no problems doing what you want. The manual supplied is very good at holding your hand through the process.
Bye

Ephraim L.
19-09-2002, 10:55 AM
hey pete

where can i get this 'Partition Magic' and is it for free?
and if not then where can a get a trial for it because i really need it my computer is acting all F***ed up and S**t

thx =)
bi

honeylaser
19-09-2002, 11:26 AM
> hey pete
>
> where can i get this 'Partition Magic' and is it for
> free?
> and if not then where can a get a trial for it
> because i really need it my computer is acting all
> F***ed up and S**t
>
> thx =)
> bi

Free to try from Download.com (http://download.com.com/3000-2094-7131912.html?tag=lst-0-9)

tweak\'e
19-09-2002, 11:45 AM
partition magic is not free and the trail version does nothing.

any partitioning is dangerous to your data so i suggest you back up NOW.

if your pc is "acting all F***ed up and S**t" then it may be a better idea to wipe the existing install (lose all data) then partition and reinstall from scratch.

Ephraim L.
19-09-2002, 11:53 AM
dats a good idea tweak'e man

i can but i dont want 2 because 1.) i dont want to download files again
2.) i dont have ms office and when i formatt last time mum went agro because word and excel is gone 3.)last one is that my saved game files will be lost meaning i have to start all over again playing(which could take hours)

i was thinking of spliting the hd into two then transfer all files into the second part then formatt the other which will give me lil hastles.

so.....thats why im asking if there is another way.

i looked at fidisk and i was like WHOOOAAA!!! wat the heck is this ****
i dont know any of this, but i can reformatt

lol =)

tweak\'e
19-09-2002, 12:01 PM
i would suggest you do some reading up on paritioning. partition magic help files (even in demo ver) are very handy.

fdisk is very basic. i use ranish myself. a little bit more complacated but is way better than fdisk.

i would borrow a spare hardrive from a mate to back up your games,data etc first. you can use ranish to partition with data still on the disk (you need to run it from boot disk) but its not designed to keep data safe. make sure you defrag first.

as far as office goes you could try openoffice. big download but its LEGALLY FREE.

Ephraim L.
19-09-2002, 12:01 PM
oh and one more thing

i was thinking of just reinstalling win98 even without formatting
what i mean is just overwrite my prev system with the new one
like installing an appz over the same appz

will that work because my system is all crazy and ****?
and if it did that woudnt corrupt all the rest ofthe files right?

aight =)

Peter H
19-09-2002, 12:33 PM
You could try re-installing over the top, but it depends on what is screwing up your comp now. First try Regedit - http://www.jv16.org
Like most good progs - PM - is expensive for a program that you basicly only use once. Maybe a computer shop could do it for - should only cost $50.00
Bye

Chilling_Silence
19-09-2002, 01:46 PM
Best bet would be making a second partition and backing up data to that.
Then, Format the primary one and re-install windows, then you could try using the like of OpenOffice.Org's Open office, free on a cover disc a few months back.
Again, I agree, you should Check the FAQ for partitioning and Formatting!

Cheers

Chilling_Silence

Ephraim L.
19-09-2002, 01:54 PM
yeah man thats a great idea
but i dont wanna spend any money on just buying a program just to use it once like Partition Magic so is there any freeware??

oh yeah and what the heck is openoffice, whats in it, what is it and all

aiight =)

Graham Petrie
19-09-2002, 06:09 PM
Open office is available from www.openoffice.org. It is a free program that is like microsoft office (ie has word, excel etc, but they are slightly different and are called different things.)

BTW shouldn't your mum have the original office disks??

ranish is a freeware partitioning tool - search google to find it.

G P