PDA

View Full Version : BIOS set up?

effie C
19-09-2002, 10:42 AM
Seeing my enthusiasm for F1 is so high -thanks to past successes- try this one.
Over the last two months I have had a series of inexplicable crashes.The computer stated that my I/O error was the cause!
I replaced my h/d , did a clean re install - limited success but inevitable crashes still - quite unpredictable!
Did a search using Google for "I/O error" - first suggestion- replace h/d, did that- same error came up this on a loan h/d
a second search - "check BIOS set up !!!
Can anybody comment on that, and if it be the answer tell me the settings please?
A computer ticketed friend has said perhaps he should "update" - I have tremendous enthusiasm for this man - he is good!!! - can he "update" to stop this nonsense?-if so what can I do anyway
effie C

SoniKalien
19-09-2002, 10:53 AM
Basically, as far as the BIOS goes, the golden rule is "If it aint broke, don't fix it"

I/O error could refer to many things. Could be the keyboard, it could be settings on the motherboard (jumper) it even possibly be a crook motherboard.

First step to take is to make sure everything is connecting properly. Next step would be to do a visual inspection of the board. Look for chips that have a dull spot on the top - or even in some cases a hole (I've seen it!) it could mean they are blown.

If you're still stuck, you may borrow a known working computer and try your hard drive in the. Unplug the exsisting one and put your one in. If it boots and runs alright (may not be perfect eg may detect new hardware etc) then try swapping parts one at a time to see if you can eliminate the cause.

Hope that helps somewhat...

godfather
19-09-2002, 10:54 AM
Is there any more information than "I/O Error", such as in what programs it occurs, any other elements of the error message?

Updating of the BIOS (also known as reflashing) may or may not be recommended, depending on where the error emanates from.

It carries a certain amount of risk, as if it fails then in all probability your motherboard is a write-off.

effie C
19-09-2002, 11:08 AM
You people are making me nervous - the computer works ,well fast and usually no crashes-
My tech friend suggested maybe a mother board- -he did the re install and could not see any obvious fault
Is it " broke-"? don't know! is it the faulty h/d? ( doubtful as the replacement did the same
My friend the the tech tried the h/d in his fancy technician's one he built- no fault found!
basically he did that and no error/fault showed in any form
keep them cards and letters a comin' folks---please?????

effie C
19-09-2002, 11:26 AM
Hi godfather- see reply sent above to SoniKalien,- I am thinking out loud so bear with me-
You state the motherboard could be a write- off after testing- ouch! my piggy bank is not very tolerant these days
perhaps you too could read and comment on my thoughtsto SoniKalien- and as I said "keep them etc etc

godfather
19-09-2002, 11:59 AM
SoniK is right on with the "if it aint broke dont fix it" suggestion.

If you are not careful you will be subscribing to the philosophy of "keep on fixing it until its broken".

Re the updating of the BIOS, its not something you do lightly, you only do it if it is needed to cure a known problem.

If you are expecting a PC to run forever, without any crash or error, then your reality cheque may bounce.

I see you are running Windows 98SE, its a good OS but like all versions of Windows its not infallable. With tens of millions of lines of instruction code they will never be perfect. I find Windows XP to be much better, but it has taken a reasonable amount of time (locating and installing the correct drivers etc) to get it to that stage.

mark c
19-09-2002, 02:00 PM
>>>>then your reality cheque may bounce.

OT, but that's a good one. :D

bk T
19-09-2002, 02:25 PM
Considering Windows 2000? It is much, much more stable than Win98; and as for XP, maybe it's worthwhile to wait for another couple of months before getting it? I've been using W2k for more than a year now and it is so far so sweet.

bk