PDA

View Full Version : 8x CDR in 48x speed Rom

Sant
18-09-2002, 04:14 PM
Will the cd rom read 48x speed from the 8x CDR disk?
or only 8x speed beacuse the disk only can be accessed at those speed.

Is there any difference between using 8x CDR and 32x CDR to write CDDA?

Lohsing
18-09-2002, 04:48 PM
Yes your 48X reader will read the 8X cd-r just fine. 8X refers to the maximum speed at which the media is rated to be burned to.

With regard to audio, you should always burn at 4X normally if you aren't in a rush (2X is even better, but very rare to get fast burners able to get down here for cd-r format). 8X is bordering on ok, but you might find older audio players will detect jitter errors on your cd and make them sound "scratchy" or "jumpy" ...

Hope that helps!

Lo.

Mike
18-09-2002, 06:02 PM
> With regard to audio, you should always burn at 4X
> normally if you aren't in a rush (2X is even better,
> but very rare to get fast burners able to get down
> here for cd-r format). 8X is bordering on ok, but you
> might find older audio players will detect jitter
> errors on your cd and make them sound "scratchy" or
> "jumpy" ...

huh? So with my 32x burner, if I want to burn audio CDs I should do it at 4x? or even 2x? so what's the point in me having a 32x burner then?

Mike.

godfather
18-09-2002, 06:32 PM
> huh? So with my 32x burner, if I want to burn audio
> CDs I should do it at 4x? or even 2x? so what's the
> point in me having a 32x burner then?

Sad but true....but it also depends on 2 other factors, the quality of the CD player (or age) you are playing them on, plus the quality of the original CD-R

I found it was critical to burn slow, then changed my stereo for one compatable with CD-R/CD-RW and it would tolerate a faster burn.

The faster burning should be OK for data.

If you are only going to play them in the PC, its less of an issue.

Lohsing
18-09-2002, 08:44 PM
As Godfather said... the 32X is really only for data, and not audio... I learnt things the hard way too! ;) Oh well... older technology will EVENTUALLY get there... but for now, audio must be burnt at 4X...

Lo.

Mike
18-09-2002, 10:00 PM
oh. I've never had trouble burning audio CDs at 32x and playing them in my stereo... maybe it's not old enough...

Mike.

Lohsing
18-09-2002, 10:04 PM
Guess you are lucky.. sooner or later though, particularly if you have friends with older equipment, you won't be able to do that... Try playing a cd recorded at 32X in a car cd stereo approx 3 years old!

Lo.

Mike
18-09-2002, 10:13 PM
my stereo is closer to 10 years old, and I managed to play a 24x CDR recorded at 32x and not finalised :) maybe there's a malfunction (LOL) in my stereo :D

Mike.

Lohsing
18-09-2002, 10:17 PM
Are they still for sale? Sounds like a good deal... does it play X-Box games too? :^O

Mike
18-09-2002, 10:24 PM
> Are they still for sale? Sounds like a good deal...

I doubt it :)

> does it play X-Box games too? :^O

I wouldn't think so - it's a Sony :D

Mike.

-=JM=-
18-09-2002, 10:54 PM
CD-Rs are always more compatible in more players when recorded at lower speeds. Apparently it gets BURNT in more. I'm not sure if it matters quite the same now. I think the only problem would be manufacturers using inferior lasers. (is that a s or a z????)

Soon I'm going to be recording around 20 CDs for someone as demo CD for him. I'll probably be doing these at around 20x or under.

Where as if it's a CD for people that I readily see I usually just do them at 40x as it usually works and is faster and utilising my burner.

Sant
20-09-2002, 09:01 AM
Thanks everyone clearing my doubt. Anyway I burnt the CDR at 32x with Nero converting mp3 to CDA and it plays well in my sony cd changer (old. black colour 97/98 product).

Hard to get a stack of 25 CDR at 36x or more. best I loocked around is Sony 25 stack 32x.

Cheers, happy burning.