PDA

View Full Version : In Desperate need of assistance with Windows Programs

Chilling_Silence
18-09-2002, 02:43 PM
I cant open anything but IE (Desktop link only) and exploring My Computer or Network Neighbourhood.
I can't access files over the network or locally, running a shortcut to a program comes up with:
Cannot find the file 'c:\Directoryname\filename.extension' (or one of its components). Make sure the path and filename are correct and that all required libraries are available.

Then an Alert Box comes up labelled Windows Explorer saying:
Unable to run this command

I can see the file in windows explorer and they are there, but I can't open them or run them!!!
It won't let me open notepad from the icon in start\accessories, or the executable in explorer, but if I open up a .txt document then it comes up?!
What can I do to get my programs working again?
Running Win2K Sp2
Cheers

Chilling_Silence

godfather
18-09-2002, 03:15 PM
It sounds very like a virus, perhaps Sircam?

If you can get on the web, can you try an on-line virus checker, as it it is a virus it will have disabled your own program.

Chilling_Silence
18-09-2002, 03:37 PM
Okay, I'm at housecall.antivirus.com
I ran a scan about 2 days ago, norton with most recent definitions. Came up clean.
I'm the only one who's used this PC and haven't downloaded anything or recieved any e-mail attachements...
I'll let you know what the scan comes up with.
In the mean time, it's just using my comp and getting progs open (like MSN) without using the maing executables. Winamp, Lotus Notes, DAP, and the rest!!!

Cheers

Chilling_Silence

Chilling_Silence
18-09-2002, 03:44 PM
What the? Since starting the virus scan, it's fixed it? I hasn't even picked anything up, but in the last two minutes, it seems to have fixed itself?
I logged into Hotmail to get MSN, played a MID ringtone file to open WinAmp, and just checked up on notepad and it's opening...
I am soooo lost here!
What'd I do??

I'll still let u know if the virus scan comes up with anything

Chilling_Silence