PDA

View Full Version : Problem with graphics card and games

Scott Bartley
18-09-2002, 03:08 PM
Well...actually it's most likely NOT a problem with the video card....here's the deal:

My brother-in-laws Celeron 600 system (ASUS TUSL2-C, 292MB 133 RAM, Windows XP Pro) is having trouble playing games with his new Triplex GF4 Ti4200 128MB video card.

In his words...this is the problem...

"The problem is, it's like I have 8mb 3D card instead of a 128mb card with the graphics and res on full, jerk, jerk, jerk, jerk, but I have to turn the graphics right down eg. In V8 Challenge I have to have the res on 600 x 400 and all the detail turned on to low and have about 3 other cars on the track to run smoothly, but its still not perfet."

Now, I know its not the card at fault cos it runs sweetly in another PC, he has installed the latest Detonator drivers with no effect on the problem. Strangely, he put his old M64 TNT2 back in and suddenly it's doing the same thing too.

I'm guessing it is something to do with either Windows XP or perhaps the motherboard.

Because I havent actually been able to physically look at the PC yet to have a play with various things...I thought I'd see if anyone here has any ideas about the problem first.

Cheerz

Scotty

tweak\'e
18-09-2002, 03:16 PM
theres been problems with the latest dets. try uninstalling them and go back to an older ver. there is a tool to clean out the nvida drivers (link in the news somewhere).

Scott Bartley
18-09-2002, 03:22 PM
Yeah but the problem first happened with his older drivers (I'm not sure which revision...probably at least a few months old knowing him). When he first told me about the problem I told him the usual line "have you installed the latest drivers?", which he hadn't, so he did that and there was no change.

I wonder if he installed the drivers that came with card over the old ones and that has screwed it all up? I might tell him to uninstall any trace of both the old and new drivers and to remove the card itself thru device manager so he start from scratch.

tweak\'e
18-09-2002, 03:48 PM
he could have had non gf4 drivers in for his tnt and install the new gf4 without removeing the old drivers first. that could have corrupted the drivers.

for starters i would clean out all nvida drivers then install the gf4 ones that came with the card. once they are all working go look at the latest er...semi latest ;-)

also check the monitor drivers.

BIFF
18-09-2002, 06:55 PM
That CPU would be better suited to a granny cruising the web in her morris minor than full on V8 challenging.