PDA

View Full Version : Mad Butcher - what not to do with a website

Jester
18-09-2002, 12:35 AM
The Mad Butcher's site was mentioned today on Radio Sport. I took a look....

Well, an extremely "busy" full page opens up, covers the taskand start and tool bars, then proceeds to lock up the PC. Alt tab or alt F4 closes it - after a while.

Looks like someone has been playing with all the tools available to web designers, and then some, with disasterous results. Maybe someone should tell him! Not me!

http://www.themadbutcher.co.nz/

J.

flying_green_leprachaun
18-09-2002, 12:41 AM
You warned me & still I went

Ick

the only word to descibe such an abortion

tweak\'e
18-09-2002, 12:47 AM
no problem here except for opening up 2 big pages at once(and a little popup).

the overkill use of yelleow highlite makes it realluy hard to read.

Baldy
18-09-2002, 12:52 AM
I think Butch is a bit more over-excited than normal..... His site is usually a bit more sedate than that.

BALDY:-)

Baldy
18-09-2002, 12:54 AM
LOL.... I see he "reserved" a spot at the bar for Pinetree

Kiwitas
18-09-2002, 01:17 AM
Hi Jester,

I didn't have a problem getting on the site,and Popup Stopper killed the popup!

Bulges a little alright!

Certainly knows how to advertise!!

Cheers,Kiwitas,;-)

sam m
18-09-2002, 09:04 AM
Had a look. Certainly busy site but if you have ever heard him talk then the site ummm.............reflects his personality. As for the pop-ups. I tell you Opera is King!! Set to refuse pop ups and no problems at all.

Still give the man credit for backing the Warriors (http://www.warriors.co.nz/) since day one.

sam m

honeylaser
18-09-2002, 12:13 PM
I feel like retching. If anyone dares go back to the site and find an email address, I'll send some feedback. I can't, it just crashed my PC and I lost the image I've been photoshopping for the last hour or so.

Jester
18-09-2002, 01:52 PM
I just opened the page in Opera, and it goes straight to the main page, which is good... but...

Some said that there were two pop ups. Using IE I only got one "pop up" which completely flled my screen, was garish multi-coloured on a black background, and seemed to have two media player areas at the bottom (that is what I saw before it froze). This major pop up was what I based my initial verdict on the site design on, the page I saw when using Opera wasn't too bad...

It looks like the media player loading is freezing the PC, and I noticed on another site the other day it was slow to start up. Using XP Pro - anyone else having issues with Media Player or offer a solution?

Sorry to hear you lost work, Honeylaser ... I did warn you!

J
:D

Peter Johnson
18-09-2002, 01:58 PM
OMG. What a terrible design.
You have to wade through tons of Warriors propaganda to see the fine print near the top that says "Click here to close window & go to OUR home page"

The actual web site, once you get there, is not bad. But what a home page.

Submit this site to webpagesthatsuck.com immediately.

honeylaser
18-09-2002, 01:58 PM
> Sorry to hear you lost work, Honeylaser ... I did
> warn you!

Not to worry. Its more than made up for by the copy of Delta Force: Task Force Dagger in the post :D

honeylaser
18-09-2002, 02:33 PM
> Submit this site to webpagesthatsuck.com
> immediately.

from WebPagesThatSuck.com (http://www.webpagesthatsuck.com) comes Crewe Hall (http://www.crewehall.com/), which wins the award for most excessive use of flash and dead links in a supporting role.

Baldy
18-09-2002, 02:57 PM
> OMG. What a terrible design.
> You have to wade through tons of Warriors propaganda
> to see the fine print near the top that says "Click
> here to close window & go to OUR home page"
>
> The actual web site, once you get there, is not bad.
> But what a home page.
>
> Submit this site to webpagesthatsuck.com
> immediately.
>
>
>

[B]That site was constructed by Stacey Jones, using a laptop, running round the field during a game! Give Butch a break....... Warriors propaganda (humph) wash your mouth out with soapy water, Peter!!!!![B]

Chris Wilson
18-09-2002, 03:05 PM
come on... it's great marketing..

Had you all looking, and checking the details, and complaining, and saying "mad butcher" to each other.

it's so "bad" that we tell each other about it....
that would be bad for biz, now wouldn't it?

On the otherhand, if that was the site for a worthwhile sort of product, it would scare people away in droves!

SoniKalien
18-09-2002, 03:46 PM
I don't believe it!!!!

Some of the text is actually a JPG!!!!!

Baldy
18-09-2002, 04:10 PM
> come on... it's great marketing..
>
> Had you all looking, and checking the details, and
> complaining, and saying "mad butcher" to each
> other.
>
> it's so "bad" that we tell each other about it....
> that would be bad for biz, now wouldn't it?
>
> On the otherhand, if that was the site for a
> worthwhile sort of product, it would scare people
> away in droves!

I agree Chris....... I enjoy looking at sites like this. The crazier the better. Actually, there have been some good home made movies about the Warriors in past weeks. The Butch has defineately got enthusiasm. Who cares if his site is poorly constructed. Its a fans site and I don't see anyone else stepping up to do one better.

The sausages and chops look yummy too!

Chilling_Silence
18-09-2002, 05:31 PM
Well, It's certainly "Out-There" and it freaked me out having ablack window appear Full Screen!
DAP Stopped the sound from downloading at the start, and once I'd closed the first two windows, the rest of the site's not that bad at all.
Good on him for supporting the Warriors, but maybe he has just a little bit too much support. Ah well, he's the Mad Butcher, what do ya expect? :P

Chilling_Silence

Jen C
18-09-2002, 06:10 PM
On the website there was a "contact us" option for comments about the website ....... so I did, and sent them this thread's URL.

Hopefully they will take notice.

Jen

Chris Wilson
18-09-2002, 08:02 PM
yep Jen,

notice will be taken, and attempts to make it worse will be made, in order to attract further attention!

Baldy
18-09-2002, 08:26 PM
Oh well, its a better job than I could have done..... yet to learn HTML.

I think the site has quite a following....... Bit unkind of you to make a comment like that Chris. Whoever does the site obviously does it as a hobby and for the love of the Warriors.

Chris Wilson
18-09-2002, 08:30 PM
OK... replace "worse' with "gaudier"

Which given my love of purple things is possibly a compliment from me.

robo
18-09-2002, 09:49 PM
It arrived already?
Cool.

Graham Petrie
19-09-2002, 12:07 AM
I also sent some comments - I am awaiting a reply with anticipation.

G P

Pauline
19-09-2002, 12:22 AM
I sent comments about the site to the Mad Butcher this morning & this is the reply that I got back. I also told them to go to the PF1 site to see other comments.

Hi Pauline,

Thank you for your comments, the web page you suggested our company to look,actually crashed my system.
We are really sorry you don't like to colour scheme, unfortunately we can't please everyone, but it seems not to bother the thousands of users that actually look at our website every week religiously.
A little suggestion don't visit the site if you don't like it.

Kind regards

Julie Leitch
Mad Butcher Holdings Ltd
2674185 ext 2
021 907 369
www.themadbutcher.co.nz

tweak\'e
19-09-2002, 12:35 AM
well i take my comments back. i just tried it in IE6. how the hell are you ment to close a full screen page like that. i had to 3 finger salute it.

go OPERA!

i give the designers the auckland (single finger) salute.

Chris Wilson
19-09-2002, 12:36 AM
Excellent response you got Pauline,

It would seem the mad dude is very aware of another marketing tool... controversy

Chris.

Jen C
19-09-2002, 12:36 AM
Well, I take it Julie Leitch (Mad Butchers daughter) took exception to our comments! I cannot believe that PressF1 crashed her PC. I guess we can take her good business advice and not visit her dads website.

Chris Wilson
19-09-2002, 12:45 AM
The really cool Java based add at the top of the pressF1 site has been known to react badly with some viewers computers using Opera...

Tweak'es comments suggest that this particular site has been built for this browser... :D

SoniKalien
19-09-2002, 01:12 AM
OK, let's face it - many people can scan some images (and text! - I still don't believe it), and type some text as well, and knock together a few web pages and call it a site.

But less people have an idea of branding and colour theming, consistancy and integration - all of which makes for a "pleasant" site instead of a "peasant" site.

Possibly a reason for the JPG text is because the author couldn't quite figure out how to position it properly, so converted it to a JPG.. dunno, but I've seen it before.

I also still see (and the latest was a LAWYER) sites made out of Office Templates.. yuk!!!!

SiK :p

Baldy
19-09-2002, 01:23 AM
> Well, I take it Julie Leitch (Mad Butchers daughter)
> took exception to our comments! I cannot believe
> that PressF1 crashed her PC. I guess we can take her
> good business advice and not visit her dads website.

Nah, obviously using your typical garden variety female reverse pyschcology. Pauline obviously told Miss Mad that the site was playing havoc with everyones browsers.

I don't think she took to kindly to Pauline appraising her handiwork LOL. The Mads are from Orkland you know!

I was going to add that maybe this website was built by that certain someone we all know, that mentioned they had learn't HTML overnight - but Bruce will probably kick my butt........ :D :D :D ]:)

Jester
19-09-2002, 01:26 AM
Looks like I've touched a few nerves here

I think I had better take this off my watches

... and enrol in the witness protection program B-)

Baldy
19-09-2002, 11:19 AM
Its been a good topic Jester..... as I said earlier, I enjoy the enthusiasm of the Mad Butcher.

Garish I know, but always fun!

Tom B.
19-09-2002, 09:13 PM
First principle of advertising - GAIN ATTENTION.
30 posts.

looks like it worked.

Graham Petrie
19-09-2002, 11:25 PM
> First principle of advertising - GAIN ATTENTION.
> 30 posts.
>
> looks like it worked.

Somebody always says that, but I think that is a load of bull.

I didn't read one word on the site, will never go back, and am of such a nature that I am now LESS likely to spend money at the mad butcher.

Even if I am the exception, who cares if it worked, I can still tell them it looks like **** - doesn't make it a good site just because it works advertising wise.

i was not criticising it's advertising ability, but it's design.

G P

Baldy
20-09-2002, 12:40 AM
>
> I didn't read one word on the site, will never go
> back, and am of such a nature that I am now LESS
> likely to spend money at the mad butcher.

All that BooM BooM BooM C - R - A - P has turned you into a vegetarian Graham LOL......

Be that as it may, as someone who has their own web site, I can see why that site would give you the heebeegeebees Graham. I feel the same way if I see a crappy sign that I know I could have done 10 times better. But in advertising, its always the worst advts that people remember

Graham Petrie
20-09-2002, 10:17 AM
Yeah, I still remember a sanitarium one from about eight years ago - I can't remember what it was about, but I know it was sanitarium, and I know it was terrible LOL (didn't stop me eating my weetbix like a good kiwi).

G P

honeylaser
20-09-2002, 10:51 AM
> Yeah, I still remember a sanitarium one from about
> eight years ago - I can't remember what it was about,
> but I know it was sanitarium, and I know it was
> terrible LOL (didn't stop me eating my weetbix like a
> good kiwi).

not the utter peanut butter nutters? that put me off for life.

Graham Petrie
20-09-2002, 11:00 AM
That's the one!

Funny.

G P

melmes
20-09-2002, 11:47 AM
Jester's original posting was constructive. It warned me about potential problems if I visited, and things to avoid on my own site but with one or two exceptions, this topic has really turned to custard hasn't it.
I understood that PC World's purpose for Press F1 was to encourage those who could, to help dummies like me get up to speed on 'puter stuff, and that's neat, but too many of these pompous opinions and personal messages are just that, and actually have the opposite effect.
I really don't care whether some of you think you know more about website design than July or you don't like animated gifs, or yellow backgrounds. Why don't you set up somewhere more appropriate to slagging off so if I need your opinion I can come and get it.

Graham Petrie
20-09-2002, 12:05 PM
lol melmes someone's got their undies on backwards!

This thread was less of a warning - "DON'T GO THERE" threadm but more of a "THIS IS A CRAPPY SITE - LOOK IF YOU DARE" thread - it is supposed to incite debate and friendly discussion.

Take from it what you want, but in no way has the thread been hijacked.

G P

Chris Wilson
20-09-2002, 12:12 PM
Turned to custard???

Dragged on a bit i thinks perhaps, but custard? No, sorry, it has remained a moral debate about web design, what's good what's not?

Is attention grabbing really what its all about ? (i think YES for the butch dude)

Is the site good bad or fugly? (enough said)

so on and so forth...

Aesthetic (dis)function will be a matter of taste, and there will of course also be those who believe that all websites should be a stream of well laid out text.

Is this not exactly the sort of thing that is being debated here?

melmes
20-09-2002, 12:30 PM
Ah great, so help me please, what is?

Chris Wilson
20-09-2002, 12:40 PM
>what is?
I have chosen to be descrete and not answer that, although i think its fair to say any thread where "taste" is discussed has the pertentual to turn into custard. There is no accounting for taste, and emotions can run high.

Damn it,
This is the custard.....:8}
This post has nothing to do with the Mad Butchers site design!

csinclair83
20-09-2002, 01:02 PM
this proves the mad butcher is DEFINATELY mad

Jester
20-09-2002, 01:41 PM
My original post was to highlight a site that, to me, was over the top and did nothing to endear visitors to the message that the site's owner was attempting to portray.

I know that if someone new to the web went there and encountered the large pop up and subsequent freezing of their PC, then it is possible they wouldn't know what to do, and may have to resort to turning their PC off at the wall. Then what? They would never go there again, and their confidence in their PC would be affected.

It could have been any site, I am not anti Peter Leitch at all, I am a warriors supporter and admire his dedication to a sport he feels strongly about. As others have said, his enthusiasm is obvious and infectious.

We often get people here asking for critique of their (mainly) personal attempts at web design. This was intended to add to comments about "what's good and what's bad", bearing in mind that beauty is in the mind of the beholder, of course.

My suggestion would be to leave your emotions regarding the Warriors/League/Peter Leitch/The Mad Butcher at the door and concentrate on the site, it's layout, and implementation.

At the end of the day it's just a web site, I personally don't like the design, but hey, who am I ?

J

Baldy
20-09-2002, 01:49 PM
>
> At the end of the day it's just a web site, I
> personally don't like the design, but hey, who am I
> ?
>
> J

Thats easy...... You're Jester!

BIFF
20-09-2002, 10:19 PM
Perhaps the quality of that website reflects the quality of the product they sell. It certainly helped me decide where to shop.

Baldy
20-09-2002, 10:32 PM
Didn't know there was a MB shop in Wellyland. Take it from me, the MB product is scrumptious.......

SoniKalien
20-09-2002, 10:49 PM
OK, let just agree that the website is / isn't offensive and the Mad Butcher sells good meat. Was cheap too when I lived in Auck...

:p

Chris Wilson
21-09-2002, 12:01 PM
....bloody carnivores!

Metla
09-01-2006, 03:15 PM
I could live on nothing but BBQ packs from the Mad Butcher.

pctek
09-01-2006, 04:59 PM
His meat is nasty. Aussie Butcher rules.

Jester
09-01-2006, 05:54 PM
ZOMG post resurrection!!211

His site isn't too bad now..... can't believe the original post was in 2002 .....

bob_doe_nz
09-01-2006, 10:43 PM
Whats wrong with his products? Nothing like chicken wings and drums at $2.99 a kilo. You should see all of us Asians flock over when he does. ;)

Our local Aussie Butcher meat didnt look very appealing when we went last time. But if you want some specialty PORKY ;) products theres a shop in Pakuranga that does some great Hong Kong style Pork ribs

Metla
09-01-2006, 10:49 PM
Hong Kong style Pork ribs?

You mean cat?

bob_doe_nz
09-01-2006, 11:22 PM
Hong Kong style Pork ribs?

You mean cat?
What's the difference? :D They all taste like chicken.

Greg
10-01-2006, 02:32 AM
a shop in Pakuranga that does some great Hong Kong style Pork ribsNobody in the world does better Asian style pork spare ribs better than me! :p Want my sauce recipe?

bob_doe_nz
10-01-2006, 11:35 AM
Nobody in the world does better Asian style pork spare ribs better than me! :p Want my sauce recipe?
Nah! I got my fathers recipe for Char Siu. Needs the red food colouring to make it appealing but apart from that, it tastes the same. so... :p :o

Greg
10-01-2006, 11:46 AM
Needs the red food colouring to make it appealing Bah humbug! If it needs colouring then it can't be all that fantastic :D :p ;)

bob_doe_nz
10-01-2006, 11:49 AM
Bah humbug! If it needs colouring then it can't be all that fantastic :D :p ;)
It does if your a bloody pakeha (no offence meant), who has to have something looking attractive and tasty before you buy it :nerd:

Greven
10-01-2006, 12:49 PM
Some cultures ONLY care about how good the food looks. As long as it doesn't look like something you puked up, most us NZers would eat it if we know it tastes good.

Some people will eat the most disgusting stuff, but only if it is well presented.

Greg
10-01-2006, 01:36 PM
It does if your a bloody pakeha (no offence meant), who has to have something looking attractive and tasty before you buy it :nerd:That's not a stupid thought. But my ribbies really taste like they look - a deep black/golden combination that makes you really want to munch into them.

Laura
11-01-2006, 02:02 AM
Well, I've been waiting for someone to ask for Greg's sauce recipe so I could copy it.
Looks as though I have to do it myself.
Yes, please, Greg.

bob_doe_nz
11-01-2006, 03:00 PM
Greggy Weggy can I have a copy too, to see whats in it?

Greg
11-01-2006, 04:07 PM
Ahhh I've been hoping someone would ask, so thank you both.

The thing about this recipe is that it has both good and bad... bad = it can smell like stink in the preliminaries and can make quite a mess. Good = it's really worth it!

Ingredients: (for two people, or more if just as a starter)

* 1.5 kg's pork spare ribs, cut into 3/4 rib segments.
* Mustard powder or prepared mustard
* Plum Jam
* Tomato sauce
* Honey
* Soy sauce
* Worcestire sauce
* Lemon juice
* Ground coriander seed
* Chilli sauce
* Balsamic vinegar (or cider vinegar)

Method:

Cut the ribs into reasonable sized proportions - I usually do 3 to 4 ribbies, and place them into the largest pot you have of simmering slightly salted water. Add a tablespoon or so of vinegar, and boil the ribs for a couple minutes. Not too long! Beware the pong, because boiled pork smells terrible!

The boiling is optional, and I only do it sometimes if I really want to impress my guests. The benefit is that it helps absorb the sauce, and makes the cooking a lot quicker.

Rinse the ribs briefly under water after boiling.

Brush the ribs with the sauce which was prepared as with all the ingredients, ensuring the plum jam is well mixed in.

Grill or BBQ untill golden, or really dark.

Quantities for the ingredients would be pretty much per taste... for 1.5 kilo's ribs I'd go:

* Mustard powder or prepared mustard: 1 tsp
* Plum Jam 5 tbsp
* Tomato sauce: 5 tbsp
* Honey: 5tbsp
* Soy sauce: 5 tbsp
* Worcestire sauce: 1 tbsp
* Lemon juice: 1tbsp
* Ground coriander seed: 1 tsp
* Chilli sauce: lots! (or to taste)
* Balsamic vinegar (or cider vinegar): 1 tbsp

I can't think offhand of anything I've missed... it's a long way here from my computer to the kitchen! But the above will make a fantastic baste/marinade not only for porkie spare ribs, but also for grilled/bbq'd mushrooms, corn-on-the-cob, and numerous other veges and cuts of chicken or pork.

Laura
11-01-2006, 04:12 PM
Thanks Greg
That looks really tasty.
Obviously a visit to the butcher is called for on my next trip to the shops.

bob_doe_nz
11-01-2006, 11:05 PM
Eww, thats gross! Can I assume thats the American way of prepping ribs?

*Shudder* eck! :xmouth:

Laura
11-01-2006, 11:35 PM
Maybe you could share an Asian version with us then, bob?

bob_doe_nz
12-01-2006, 12:57 AM
Hoisin Sauce, Salt, Sugar, Tomato Sauce and 5 spice powder. Work out the ratios yerself :p

Greg
12-01-2006, 01:13 AM
Hoisin Sauce, Salt, Sugar, Tomato Sauce and 5 spice powder. Work out the ratios yerself :pBooooooring

Metla
12-01-2006, 01:39 AM
And to think they thought this thread had dragged on too long way back in 2002.....

Anyhow, Am I the only one to notice that rib have less meat on em then whats in an 8c sausage?, Treat yourselves to a steak sometime lads, No sauces required, heat and eat, 100 percent meat.

Greg
12-01-2006, 06:26 PM
And to think they thought this thread had dragged on too long way back in 2002.....

Anyhow, Am I the only one to notice that rib have less meat on em then whats in an 8c sausage?, Treat yourselves to a steak sometime lads, No sauces required, heat and eat, 100 percent meat.Ribs have been a delicacy since Roman times - it's the flavour of them that differentiates 'em from other cuts of meat, pork, beef or otherwise. They're a rarity, which of course makes 'em a delicacy (ie the small amount of meat per bone).

Anyway, my steaks are the world's best too, especially when done with my pepper sauce!

Steak without proper seasoning and/or sauce is like life without sex.

bob_doe_nz
12-01-2006, 06:35 PM
What? A simple rare cooked sirloin steak with nothing but its own juices is far tastier than anything with herbs and spices dumped onto it.

Once you learn to remove salt from your diet, you'll begin to appreciate the simplicities of life :) :nerd: