PDA

View Full Version : Mail Merge to multiple different documents.

Weetbix
17-09-2002, 07:45 PM
We wish to be able to take on record and update a selection of MSWord merge documents.

User selects customer (or customers) to create documents for.

Then any number of documents is selected and hopefully the customers details are merged to each document.

The selection of documents can change for differing customers.

Any tips on how this can be accomplished

wotz
17-09-2002, 08:51 PM
I have done this by having a field in the data source database where I put a y if I wanted to create a document for that person. It was a while ago now and I cant remember exactly how, but I think when you merge you have the option to only include records which have the y in the appropriate field. To use it, I opened the data source in tabular form and just went down the list tagging the ones I wanted.

parry
18-09-2002, 12:11 AM
Good idea Wotz. If your source data was in a database like Access then you could link to a query which would only have the selected customers records. Filtering at the source as it were with a form for the query so the User selects the appropriate options which make up the parameters for the query.

The word docs only then need to link to the query/ies and you dont have to worry about filtering at the doc level.

Weetbix
01-10-2002, 10:33 PM
I think you may have misunderstood me.

One Record, many documents.

User Selects record from database.
She then decides she wishes that record to be printed on certain mergable (?) documents.

So I wish to be able to select from a list of docs which ones I wish to merge the selected record details.

The selected documents can change any time.

Has this made it any clearer?

wotz
02-10-2002, 08:39 AM
Sooooooo is the selected record the only data to be merged, or do you then want to merge additional data?