PDA

View Full Version : Start up disc

John Boy
16-09-2002, 10:01 PM
Does a laptop with recovery discs also require a start up disc on floppy. My floppy disc isn't working so can I , if required' make up a cd recovery disc on my othe PC.

mikep
16-09-2002, 10:14 PM
That depends on what type of recovery disk you are talking about. Most recovery disks these days are a bootable CD-ROM & some of them give you a variety of options including an OS recovery only, where your data is safe, or a full recovery which will bring your computer back to the state it was in when you first took delivery of it brand new. The full recovery is normally non reversible & if you do not have your important data files backed up, you have almost no chance of retrieving them after running this option.

If you're talking about a floppy based recovery disk, your hard disk may have a recovery partition (normally D:) that is controlled via a bootable floppy. In this case, it's best to ask your notebook vendor for another disk or a floppy disk image that can be used to make a floppy disk many times over if required. A trial version of Winimage is available from the Winimage website if you need to create a boot disk from an image file.

The other option is a standard boot disk which can be made with the help of your operating system. You will need to supply more information about your OS before anybody can give you a decent answer because the procedures for making boot disks can be quite different between the available operating systems.

Mike P

Susan B
16-09-2002, 10:14 PM
Not if the other computer runs a different version of Windows you can't.

Is your floppy disc not working or the floppy drive??

And what do you mean by not working? Will it not start the PC up? Will another floppy disc work?

John Boy
16-09-2002, 10:36 PM
The disc I have are full recovery disc running win 98 and will reinstal to as left the factory. but as I stated my floppy drive does not work.

Susan B
16-09-2002, 11:02 PM
Ah, so your floppy drive doesn't work.

Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I see no reason why you can't copy your laptop's recovery floppy disk files onto a CD-ROM and use that to boot your laptop.

You will, however, need to go into your laptop's BIOS and change the settings to boot off the CD instead of floppy disk though.

godfather
17-09-2002, 12:25 AM
Recovery cd's for the laptop are unlikely to need a boot disk. I think you will find they are self-booting, unless its a very old machine, but then it wouldn't have 98.

If it has been altered so the laptop does not try to boot off the cd, you may need to go into the BIOS to set it to boot off the cd before the hdd.

John Boy
17-09-2002, 05:08 PM
Thanks Susan and Godfather.
One final question, can you guide me on how to check that the BIOS so that it will boot from the cd.
However as Godfather stated , using the recovery disc that was supplied with the laptop it should boot from that. The floppy drive has a fault and will not recognise any floppy disc. If it was a standard pc I would replace it but being a laptop it would probablly not be worth it. I believe that lot of new computers the floppy is not installed.

Graham L
17-09-2002, 05:17 PM
You have to use the BIOS setup routine. You might be shown which key to press (Del, F1, F2, F8, F10, F12, Ctrl/Ins, or whatever) just after the memory size is displayed at boot time. It might be a programme on the hard disk ...

When you get into the routine, the setting is probably in the first "advanced" page, but just look around ... the section to change will be obvious.

You can't do any damage by "looking" with the BIOS setup. Nothing is changed until you "Save and Exit" it. You are usually asked whether you want to save changes.

godfather
17-09-2002, 06:16 PM
But try re-booting with the CD in the drive FIRST. You may not have to do anything if its already set.