PDA

View Full Version : windows setup box

Will
16-09-2002, 03:48 PM
Can anyone help me .....In my Control panel/add/remove programs and under Windows setup tab there is nothing showing up at all (no installed programs) ....... the box is totally empty. What can i do about this?? or do I have to reinstall Windows??
Operating system is Win98

Chris Wilson
16-09-2002, 04:53 PM
Whoa!!!!!!
Does the computer do anything at all?

Did you wait for the "please wait while we check whats here" thingy to do it's magic?

Graham L
16-09-2002, 05:13 PM
Don't things appear there only if programmes have been installed after the initial system installation?

Chris Wilson
16-09-2002, 05:33 PM
No Graham,
the part described is This (http://www.something.net.nz/f1/images/winsetup.jpg).
At least that is what i assume. It is a list of the things installed by default as part of the windows setup. It is the point were we can opt in and opt out of all the basic windows frills

Will
16-09-2002, 09:09 PM
No there is no waiting .... this box (where you can alter what is and isnt installed in windows) appears empty

Chris Wilson
16-09-2002, 09:25 PM
it does appear empty AT FIRST,
but then a wee dialog box comes up, asks you to hang on a minute, and the options start appearing. at least this is what happens in a normal system (whatever that is ;-) )
Can we confirm that you are talking about the same box, the one that is seen if you follow this link here? (http://www.something.net.nz/f1/images/winsetup.jpg)

Will
17-09-2002, 08:54 AM
Yes that is where I am looking ...... but as I say the box shows up empty

Chris Wilson
17-09-2002, 11:30 AM
Thats not supposed to happen.
(you knew that didn't you?)

I suspect there is some part of things that is seriously missing or corrupted
(you think that too, don't you?)

It could just be some obscure setting, he says hopefully....

If it were mine i'd probably be expecting to reinstall 'doze soon. I'm going to butt out at this point, and with luck someone cleverer than i might be able to help. I'd gladly send you replacements for the missing or corrupted bits, if i knew what they were. Hopefully we both learn something new out of this one. Because it is beyond me, i'll still be watching this thread.

Will
17-09-2002, 11:51 AM
Thanx for your input Chris .... i'm thinking the best and easiest solution is a reinstall ..... this puter isn't mine and i suspect it has been severlly tampered with and a few serious crashes etc
Thanx all the same