PDA

View Full Version : General Protection Faults

charmed
15-09-2002, 09:03 PM
I am running windows 98se and IE6 I am constantly getting general protection faults and IE6 continuously shuts down with "this program has performed an illegal operation" I use Eudora as my email program and that keeps shutting down too-I have had this computer for approx two years with little problem and havent made any major changes lately...its driving me mad-does anyone know why this is happening and how I can fix it?

loser
15-09-2002, 09:12 PM
fixed by opening up your PC and smashing everything with a hammer (don't actually do this! ;))....
search google for "general protection fault" and you'll get a tonne of reading material about the "why"...

if you've been running for two years, installing and uninstalling stuff, deleting stuff, playing with setting etc, then you might think about reformatting and reinstalling windows.

charmed
15-09-2002, 09:16 PM
Thanks I will try Google...
I have had windows reinstalled twice over the two years-first when I upgraded from windows 95 and then again from windows 98. I have tried everything else and can not seem to find the problem so reformatting may be an idea to try-however I tell you smashing it up would be a whole lot more fun!!!!!

Jen C
15-09-2002, 09:29 PM
Try here at Windows 98 General Protection fault articles (http://support.microsoft.com/common/canned.aspx?R=d&H=Windows%2098%20General%20Protection%20Fault%20Ar ticles&LL=kbwin98search%20or%20kbwin98sesearch&Sz=kbgpf)

charmed
15-09-2002, 09:43 PM
Thats the first place I tried-however IE^ kept crashing lol

Here is an example of the kind of GPFs I am getting:
EUDORA caused a general protection fault
in module USER.EXE at 0006:0000689f.

Any ideas out there?

loser
15-09-2002, 09:47 PM
finally! someone with the same sort of idea of "fun" as me... ;)
a/s/l? ha ha ha na just kiddin...

the number of times that i've come close to doing that. another one i'd like to try is throwing it out the window onto the road, right infront of the retards who like to drive up and down our road in the middle of the night in the loudest cars ever invented in the world of loud cars.

of course upgrading does no have the same effect (affect?) as formatting and then reinstalling... you just get the same problems flowing through.

this is humourous... http://www.futurefeedforward.com/front.php?fid=61

tweak\'e
15-09-2002, 10:27 PM
has it had just upgrades or has had a clean install from sctrach?

which ver of eudora are you useing?

what background programs have you got running?

also what spec pc?

charmed
15-09-2002, 10:33 PM
Upgrades and then a clean install
Eudora 5.1

My PC is a 233 Cyrix m2 p300 (dont laugh) it has 64mb ram and I have had little problems in the past

Background progams would be zone alarm, my virus program and eudora/ IE6

loser
15-09-2002, 10:37 PM
i had heaps of probs w/ ie6 if i remember correctly. run windows update may provide some bug fixes(?)

charmed
15-09-2002, 10:40 PM
Yep been there too lol (maybe thats what the problem is.......)
Grrr anyway I have been surfing the Noel Leeming site drooling at new laptops...

tweak\'e
15-09-2002, 10:52 PM
with such a slow pc (cyrix are slow for the MHZ) i would remove ie6 and go back to ie5.5sp2.

what virus program?

what other background apps? theres always explorer in the background ;-)

bk T
15-09-2002, 10:55 PM
Hi

Consider up-grade to Windows 2000. W2K is much more stable than Win98SE. I upgraded from Win98SE to W2K for almost two years now and it is so far so sweeeet! :)

Personally, I think Win98/95 are hopeless OS. :(

Cheers
bk

charmed
15-09-2002, 10:56 PM
We just got brand new computers at work and they dont seem that much faster than my old cyrix hehe even though they have nearly 10x the amount of RAM lol

Im using AVG anti virus
Hmm yes explorer- been having problems with that too...

charmed
15-09-2002, 10:57 PM
that was a joke about the RAM by the way ;)

Rod J
15-09-2002, 11:02 PM
After reinstalling/upgrading Windows did you apply the motherboard drivers? It's quite important to do this otherwise you will get odd behaviour.

charmed
15-09-2002, 11:07 PM
I assume it was done as the last reinstall was completed over 6 months ago and it has only been in the last two weeks I have had problems

eef2
16-09-2002, 04:32 AM
As I understand it, you have an application conflict with Eudora and IE.
Windows (even 2000) has built in depreciation so that users tend to have spend more money on new machines and upgrades as they are supposed to do.
You can avoid all this by doing a right royal cleanout of the registry. The best program I know of to do this is "Mijinex FIx It" which provides for a registry cleaner where you can observe which changes to the registry are about to be made before you do them, whether the changes are safe to make without further inspection, and if not where to link those changes to.
It also provides a unique registry defrag which I always do after I have done a disk degrag which would be a good idea in your case as well.
All of the above can undo the damage done when installing and uninstalling things without first turning of virus scanners, and associated background performances including even Fix-It's very own "Crash Proof" facility. Further info can be found on www.ontrack.com
:--))

tweak\'e
16-09-2002, 08:26 AM
very funny bk T , it won't run win2k.....its doing well just to run 98.

for starters a basic regclean, scan disk and defrag.

charmed
16-09-2002, 08:27 AM
Thanks will try that tonight when I get home from work :O)
I have registry cleaner-but have only used it once ages ago-will look at that other program tonight!

Thanks everyone for your help I really appreciate it :O)