PDA

View Full Version : Win XP Prof Networking

Nuts8
15-09-2002, 01:38 PM
Hi,

I am having trouble with networking a Windows XP computer with win 9X and win 2K computers. The win 9X and win 2K comps can see eachother and share files no problem. The win XP computer can get access to the DSL router which is also on the network but canot see any of the other computers or even itself in my network places. However the other computers can see the XP comuter but cannot get access to it. All of the IP addresses are correctly set along with the gatewy and DNS. I have turned off all authentication in the XP comp but still have had no luck with it.

I am thinking it is just a simple problem with the settings.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks - Nuts

Big John
15-09-2002, 07:11 PM
Have you turned off the firewall or if not allowed the machines to access through the firewall?

Nuts8
16-09-2002, 11:06 AM
No PC's on the network are running a firewall.

Thanks

Mike
16-09-2002, 11:08 AM
Windows XP has a built-in firewall which I think is enabled by default. Has this been turned off?

Mike.

Nuts8
16-09-2002, 03:55 PM
Mike,
r.e. Windows XP has a built-in firewall which I think is enabled by default. Has this been turned off?

Im not sure. I did turn of some form of authentication. Where can the settings fo the in-built firewall be found ??

Thanks Nuts

Mike
16-09-2002, 04:36 PM
From Control Panel open your Network Connections. Right Click on the Network adapter that might be causing the problem, select properties, and in the new window, click the Advanced Tab. There should be, somewhere on that page, an option for the firewall - make sure it is not ticked, and then see if that helps.

Mike.

PS If you are connecting to the internet at all, you do need a firewall protecting at least the computer that's directly connected to the internet.

Dazz
06-10-2002, 08:32 PM
Hi
Any more ideas on this anyone? I have had the same problem with XP on P2P networks. I look after several networks but two have problems as above. (on two machines that I did not install the OS/software from scratch) I have also connected up a few xp laptops with no problems.

I have tried everything I know (after doing the basics like workgroup, IP, subnet etc) including

Using the system restore to roll back the system to 2 before the
problems started. This may remove any changes that any software installation has made.

Disable the network connection then re-enable the connection.(right click
on the network connection)
Choose the repair option for the network connection (right click on the
network connection)

Make sure the firewall is disabled for the network connection (under
'advanced') Disable the internet firewall as well.

Usually to reset the TCP/IP protocol in 98 etc
you remove it, and the card, reboot then reinstall etc.
In XP you boot up then go to the 'run' command and type in this

netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt then 'run'

This will completely remove the TCP/IP protocol and reset it. You then reset the TCP/IP (address etc) as you did when you first loaded the OS.
Saves removing cards, reinstalling etc.
Only works in XP - not 98 etc.
The 'c:\resetlog.txt' part creates a log file of this action.
(Microsoft sure got this bit right!!! )

Check on the other machines was that only the
TCP/IP protocol is installed - not NETBui or anything else. Check each machine only has the same protocols.(Apparently one wrong one can cause probs with XP.)

I also picked up a bit about a registry hack in another thread which I will try and if it works I will report back.

I can get the two offending XP's to work by fiddling but upon reboot the next day the problem occurs again.

If anyone else has some ideas I would love to hear them!!

ah...networking.........