PDA

View Full Version : Printer Economics

willbry
15-09-2002, 01:42 PM
I find my Epson 680 has an insatiable thirst for ink. To reduce this I know I can print using the economy option but the reproduction quality is so poor. I seek opinion about other alternatives. for example , if I leave the printer on all the time , is this more saving than turning it on each time I want to print something, then turning it off on completion?
If I leave it turned permanently on, it makes all sorts of ghastly noises, when I turn the main computer on or off. Is it consuming ink while making these noises even though I'm not using it, when turning the computer on/off? Any advice to reduce its thirst would be appreciated. thanks
Willbry

Graham L
15-09-2002, 03:13 PM
The Epsons seem to use lots of ink not printing. They seem to do a head cleaning operation each time they are turned on. Try leaving it turned on. I think the idle power use is negligible. See how long the next ink cartridge lasts.

If it's making noises each time you turn the computer off and on, it might be doing the same ... but it's a bit hard to tell what it is doing. I hope they won't be silly enogh to do a head clean when you power down the computer (but they make their money by selling ink).;-)

willbry
15-09-2002, 06:01 PM
Thanks Graham, Will try leaving it on. I agree the Epson seems to drink the ink. I recently put in a new cartridge and the installation process itself seemed to use up about an eighth of its contents from looking at the "remaining ink capacity" chart following its installation, and I hadn't even printed off one sheet. Perhaps I should be looking at a more economical printer. Appreciate your advice. Willbry

Susan B
15-09-2002, 07:10 PM
My father-in-law has an Epsom as well but I don't know the model. He said his was the same, gobbling up ink every time he turned the PC on. He asked the shop about it and they advised him to turn the printer off at the wall if he wasn't going to use it. It made quite a difference apparently.

willbry
15-09-2002, 11:01 PM
Thanks Susan for your tip, Not many bouquets for Epson I'm afraid. Willbry

Poppa John
15-09-2002, 11:07 PM
Maybe thats why I refill my cartridges, altho I believe there may be a problem if they are the type with an Eprom in them (?) Stingy Poppa JOhn :D

willbry
16-09-2002, 05:36 AM
That's correct Poppa John. They have embedded a tiny chip which allows you to get a visual readout of how much ink is left. But cunningly this prevents them from being refilled. On the other hand an American firm has procuced a cheaper clone, chip and all which does the job. Having said this,it's still expensive when they drink ink like water. willbry