PDA

View Full Version : Compaq serevr ram--help!!!!

Long
15-09-2002, 02:04 AM
Hi, I got a compaq proliant 2500R here. It has two edo dimms on board: 128MB + 32Mb.

The problem was no matter how I tried (I put one dimm on at a time, and then tried putting both on), when I boot up the system, it shown only 16MB Ram!! I rebooted the system and it said 160MB detected (correctly this time). But the correct showing only appeared when I boot up the system by pressing ctrl+alt+del !!!

I test the system using another scsi hd with winme installed but it would hardly boot up. When it goes into winme, only 16Mb ram was shown.

Anybody got any ideas? Does it have something to do with the rams? sockets? jumper settings, etc??

Help, plez.!!!

wuppo
15-09-2002, 11:17 AM
Some motherboards are not happy with a 'mixture' of ram brands/sizes. If you bios allows it, try setting the CAS=3 (slower) for the ram.

BIFF
15-09-2002, 12:34 PM
Try running the System Erase Util on the Smart Start CD to blank the system and run Smart Start again. If you don't use Smart Start to set up the system you don't get the Configuration Partition and the computer won't remember how it's configured. (Hence going back to 16MB RAM all the time.)

robo
15-09-2002, 01:21 PM
Biff's right, you have to do all sorts of weird things. Those servers need their system partition.
robo.

Long
15-09-2002, 11:08 PM
Thaxz mate.