PDA

View Full Version : Limit internet bandwidth over network

Graham Petrie
14-09-2002, 08:19 PM
Hi. I have two PC's networked with a crossover cable, and sharing an internet connection using windows xp ICS. both machines have xp pro.

Is there anyway I can limit the bandwidth allocated to the client machine over the dialup connection, without limiting the host?

Cheers

G P

tweak\'e
14-09-2002, 09:32 PM
the only way i can think off at the mo is to set the mtu/rwin settings down as much as possible. 576 is the lowest normally used but that gives you 5 kB/s, which is full modem speed. its possible to go a bit lower (i will need to look up the lowest actual figure you can use) but it can get a little tricky as other routers may not like lower than 576.

-=JM=-
14-09-2002, 10:19 PM
I haven't used ICS before but I would've thought that it would be possible to.

Only other thing would be to use a different program for it. One more designed for the purpose

BIFF
15-09-2002, 01:42 PM
You need some expensive router hardware or some elite *nix skillz to make a gadget to do this. You need to drop packets to train the TCP sessions on the client machine to go slower. Aparently this is what Telecon do to make ADSL connections on Jetfart go at 128Kb/s. I don't really have the knowledge to elaborate further however eg don't know how this works with UDP etc.

Graham L
15-09-2002, 02:57 PM
Altering the MTU will make NO difference. It just sets the maximum packet size. RWIN similarly ... it gives the size of the buffer (the client) uses, which allows faster operationif you have a bigger one. these settings won't affect the speed through a (literal) "length of wire" network.

I think that a proxy server will be the better approach. I suppose you want to cut down your flatmate's use of your bandwidth.

tweak\'e
15-09-2002, 04:48 PM
errr...bollocks ;-)

theres a few people on this site who have been had slow lans due to their tcp/ip settings (mtu) being tweaked for modem (576mtu) which meant the lan ran at max 5kB/s.

Graham Petrie
15-09-2002, 06:52 PM
Got it in one Graham. I want to be able to do it when he is downloading with Kazaa. It slows down my browsing to a snails pace. I would like to be able to drip feed Kazaa bandwidth when it is available, but give IE on my PC priority.

I don't suppose there is another way to do this rather than just limit bandwidth to that machine. if we could just limit Kazaa, then the problem is solved. Although it would be good to give Kazaa everything when reading webpages after they have been downloaded, and when no browsing is going on.

Someone should build a program to assign bandwidth to apps on a priority basis.

G P

Graham L
16-09-2002, 04:30 PM
tweak'e : ... I regularly run with MTU of 512 on my LAN. I am not limited to 5KB/s. With 512 and a parallel port Ethernet adaptor, I get around 20-30 KB/s --- that's slowed down by the parallel port adaptor. With ISA cards, I get much quicker transfers.

The MTU is not a throttle. A lot of "fixes" on computers happen because people change one thing, and accidentally remove the real cause of the problem. I'm a great believer in rubber chickens.

Big John
16-09-2002, 04:39 PM
Then use the option in Kazaa to limit the bandwidth available.