PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft Access (Office 97)

rutherford
14-09-2002, 10:34 AM
I have recently changed my motherboard to an Asus A7V255. My System is windows ME.
The Problem is with reteiving and adding data to my database in access. I keep on getting the error message "The Microsoft Jet Engine cannot open file dbase/dbase.mdb. It is already opened by another user, or you need permission to view its data.
I am the only user of this database, and it consists of my book and cd collections, over 10,000 entries which I do not want to re-enter.

Is there any way to correct this problem and be able to enter and change the DB again?
Alan Rutherford
arutherfordkaiapoi@inet.net.nz

parry
14-09-2002, 11:39 AM
Hi Rutherford. Is there a file dbase.ldb in the same folder as dbase.mdb? When opening Access it locks the database via the creation of a ldb file so this could be the problem if the file exists but the database is closed.

See if you can copy the database to another folder then delete the ldb file if it exists.

If this file isnt there then I would try repairing Access - theres an option for repairing the installation on the Office CD.

cheers
Parry

wuppo
14-09-2002, 07:35 PM
Have you tried the 'repair database' option?

You could also try creating a new (empty) database and see if you can import the objects from your current database into it.

tweak\'e
14-09-2002, 08:17 PM
when you changed motherboard did you reinstall windows?

rutherford
15-09-2002, 01:47 PM
Thank you for your reply. I couln't find the file you mentioned, and repair didn't. I finally found that the answer was to go to tools, options, advanced and tick ignore DDE requests. Hey Presto it worked.

Alan Rutherford

rutherford
15-09-2002, 01:49 PM
I tried the repair option but it didn't work. I finally found the answer was to goto tools, options, advanced and tick the ignore DDE request. Thank you for trying to help me.

Alan Rutherford

rutherford
15-09-2002, 01:51 PM
Yes I installed windows and office. I finally found the solution was to goto tools, options, advanved and tick ignore DDE request.

Alan Rutherford