PDA

View Full Version : How to instal modem driver in XP?

sam m
13-09-2002, 02:49 PM
Hello,
Well I have finally done it and upgraded from ME (and I had no problems with it by the way) to XP Pro. I am more than happy with it and slowly getting used to it. I have however got an issue with the 56k modem (pci). Xp does not recognise it. I have skimmed thru previous posts and one advice given is to remove the modem then reinstall and see if it recognises it that way, nah..... no idea how so gave that a miss. I searched the net and found the driver that is supposed to make it work. I have d/loaded, unzipped to a temp file but...... what do I do now?

I went to add hardware and tried different ways of adding the driver but no idea. I was thinking that maybe I have to burn the file to CD then click on "I have disk" option when installing but not sure if that will work.

Can someone advise what is the correct procedure to instal this driver. I do notice that the modem is in the 'other devices' category, not under modems.

cheers
sam m

godfather
13-09-2002, 02:53 PM
At the "I have disk", say yes and point it to the directory with the unzipped modem file. It will be expecting a file with .inf extension.

sam m
13-09-2002, 03:09 PM
I remember seeing that when I tried before but the driver d/loaded did not have anything with an .inf extension. Thanks GF I will d/load again or from a different source to see if there is an .inf extension.
thanks
sam

BootyLicious
13-09-2002, 03:15 PM
It's easy if there the right drivers.

1} in your Device Manager right click on your modem
and click on update drives.

2}Put the green dot in the (install from a list or specific location)Advancd.
and click next

3}Put the green dot in the (search for best drivers in these location)
and pick include this location insearch:

4}Click on Browse and locate the file you unzip the divers to
then click on next..

if the drivers are the right ones they should install.
If that doesn't work try to get some one to help with {REMOTE ASSISTANCE}

sam m
13-09-2002, 07:37 PM
thanks BootyLicious / Godfather.
Worked a treat. The problem I had before was the location for the file that I d/loaded. I unzipped to a specific folder that I created then followed your instructions and it is working a treat. I use jetstream but my dialup modem is used for faxing. I thought that I was going to have to buy new one. (I was told that was my only option and nearly bought on the spot) Thanks, you saved me $50.

I now have to do the same for the scanner.

thanks again

BootyLicious
13-09-2002, 08:21 PM
Happy to help ya sam.. great to see ya got it going.