PDA

View Full Version : Home Networking Problem

Scottie
13-09-2002, 11:50 AM
Hi Everyone,

I really need some help with the network that i am setting up at home currently. I have 2 machines both with network cards and a crossover cable. I have gone through the article on the FAQ section of this website setting up the IP addresses etc which are 192.168.0.1 and 192.168.0.2.

I have made sure that all the tabs have been setup correctly in the network control panel. eg DNS configuration, IP Address, Binding etc.

When i go to test my network in DOS in ping the other computer and it constantly comes up with "Request Timed Out".

In Network Neighbourhood on the (192.168.0.1) computer it shows the "Main" connection. But nothing shows on the other computer (192.168.0.2). Is there suppose to be anything in Network Neighbourhood?

Another to note is that on 192.168.0.1 i am running ADSL, with Zonealarm on it. I have tried shutting Zonealarm (firewall) down but still no luck at all.

If you could help me with this one that would be much appreciated, i really want to get this all runing as soon as possible.

Thanks everyone and look forward to what you all think.

Cheers.

godfather
13-09-2002, 12:18 PM
Firstly, you should disable zonealarm to prevent it from starting, then re-boot. Just turning it off isnt guaranteed to remove it.

You are on ADSL. What sort of modem? If its a router you may have a problem, it could be assigning IP numbers.

You should see the other computer in network neighbourhood.

Do you have the workgroup name assigned to both machines?

Scottie
13-09-2002, 01:15 PM
Thanks for that Godfather.

I have turned off zonealarm like you said and still nothing has changed.

The modem that I am using for ADSL is a Efficient Networks ADSL internal modem. The NIC card that i am using is made by Netgear and is a FA310tx.

I definetly cant see the other computer when i look in network neighbourhood unfortunately.

And yeah i have double checked the workgroup names that they are the same which they definetly are as well.

Thanks anyway though for your suggestions.

Please more suggestions are welcome.

Thanks.

Billy T
13-09-2002, 01:43 PM
Hi Scottie

Not being a networking maven, I stick to the KISS principles.

1) Are the link lights on? (refer FAQ for explanation)

2) Have you installed TCP/IP?

I don't think your router would be the problem and nor is Zone Alarm. ZA will simply identify the network as soon as it appears and advise you to assign it to the Trusted Zones. I run both a router and ZA without any problems.

I am an absolute networking beginner but recently successfully set up a four computer network (3 x W2K & 1 Win98) as a peer to peer system via a hub. I see no reason why your system shouldn't work so step it through carefully.

Incidentally, for reasons I can't remember I had to have both TCP/IP and Netbios protocols installed so if all else fails add that one and see what happens. It is easily uninstalled if you don't need it.

Also, reboot after every change just in case.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

godfather
13-09-2002, 01:52 PM
Scottie, what operating systems are you using?

If using Windows XP, it has a built in firewall as well.

Also did you enable "file and printer sharing" on each machine? (I doubt this is the problem as you would have been able to ping without it)

Are you *really* sure you have a cross over cable and not a standard patch cable?

juha
13-09-2002, 02:02 PM
> Hi Everyone,
>
> I really need some help with the network that i am
> setting up at home currently. I have 2 machines both
> with network cards and a crossover cable. I have gone
> through the article on the FAQ section of this
> website setting up the IP addresses etc which are
> 192.168.0.1 and 192.168.0.2.
>
> I have made sure that all the tabs have been setup
> correctly in the network control panel. eg DNS
> configuration, IP Address, Binding etc.
>
> When i go to test my network in DOS in ping the other
> computer and it constantly comes up with "Request
> Timed Out".
>
> In Network Neighbourhood on the (192.168.0.1)
> computer it shows the "Main" connection. But nothing
> shows on the other computer (192.168.0.2). Is there
> suppose to be anything in Network Neighbourhood?
>
> Another to note is that on 192.168.0.1 i am running
> ADSL, with Zonealarm on it. I have tried shutting
> Zonealarm (firewall) down but still no luck at all.
>
> If you could help me with this one that would be much
> appreciated, i really want to get this all runing as
> soon as possible.
>
> Thanks everyone and look forward to what you all
> think.

Which IP address did you use to point the machines to the gateway?

Have you set up any Windows shares on the machines?

--
Juha

Scottie
13-09-2002, 02:29 PM
Thanks for all the suggestion people but unfortunately i think i have tried everything that has been suggested so far with still no luck.

The IP address that i have got for the gateway is 192.168.0.1

Should that be something different?

No windows shares have been setup either.

Oh sorry guys i am running Windows 98.

Please continue to try and help me.

Thanks everyone.

Scottie
13-09-2002, 02:32 PM
Hi godfather,

Yeah im sure im using a std crossover cable. Is it the same as a CAT 5 cable or something like that?

What are the differences between the two?

Thanks Godfather.

Chilling_Silence
13-09-2002, 02:40 PM
Cat 5 e is what I've got, dunn owhat the heck it means but it works.
I've got a Netgear FA410Tx Card, and it MUST have new drivers so make sure your NIC drivers are up to date.
Also, enable a share on both PC's of the C-Drive just for now, and don't password it just yet.
Also, if that doesn't work, you could try taking of the gateway and getting it to auto assign which is the way I've got mine setup.

Let us know how it goes

Chilling_Silence

Billy T
13-09-2002, 02:42 PM
Unless you specifically bought it as a "cross-over" cable it won't be.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Billy T
13-09-2002, 02:58 PM
Cat5 and Cat5E are just grades of networking cable. The E stands for "enhanced" and can carry a faster data rate.

In simple terms, crossover cable has the wiring reversed at one end so that out at one end talks to in at the other, and vice versa. If both computers are talking at once at opposite ends of the same connection and both are listening on the other, nothing is going to work.

If you didn't go and specifically buy a crossover cable, unless you fluked the accidental acquisition of one, you don't have the necessary interconnection for your network to operate.

The cable you have can be tested with a meter to see what it is, but you will have to do a search on the net for the pin-out connections to test. Resolve this and you can move forwards.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Graham L
13-09-2002, 03:21 PM
You don't have to search the Internet for the connections: you have PressF1.

The two pairs which are used for 10/100BaseT are on pins 1&2 and pins 3&6. In a crossover cable the end to end relationship is 1 -- 3
2 -- 6
3 -- 1
6 -- 2
4 -- don't care
5 -- don't care
7 -- don't care
8 -- don't care

If you hold the plug up with the cable hanging at the bottom, and the latch away from you, the pin numbers are: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
I

juha
14-09-2002, 12:09 PM
> Thanks for all the suggestion people but
> unfortunately i think i have tried everything that
> has been suggested so far with still no luck.
>
> The IP address that i have got for the gateway is
> 192.168.0.1
>
> Should that be something different?

Find out what the IP address of the ADSL router's Ethernet interface is, and use that.

Note that you need to keep the machines on the same subnet, ie. if the IP address of the router is 192.168.1.254, then your machines should be 192.168.1.1 etc. and not 192.168.0.1, unless you want to learn how to route between subnets as well.

> No windows shares have been setup either.

You'll need that, once you've got the basic IP connectivity working.

--
Juha

Graeme
14-09-2002, 12:40 PM
Do you log on to Win98 with a password

You need to log on for networking to work. If you just escape out of the log on dialog, networking won't work. If you haven't created a password yet, it will ask you to when you type one in.

(that's what happened for me anyway when I networked XP to 98)

Graeme

Graham L
14-09-2002, 02:05 PM
You can't get anywhere if you can't ping both ways. I think that you cable is OK because you are getting a timeout. If the cable was wrong, I *suspect* you would get a different message.

Billy suggested he needed NetBIOS ... I think I've read something about that. NetBios should be bound [b]only[/b[]to Microssoft Network Client, not to any Internet connected client.

The logging in, (and having a "user" on an Xp machine for the other machine) might be needed too.

Networking is tricky. The setup has to be exactly right. A "nearly right" configuration doesn't work. ;-) Sometimes the easiest fix is to uninstall it, then reinstall ...