PDA

View Full Version : laptop desktop

Ron Bakker
12-09-2002, 10:50 PM
I have a compaq amarda 1750 laptop cpu330mhz(I think)& a desktop 2gighz. Both have modem & usb. What would be the cheapest way of networking for basic file transfer?

godfather
12-09-2002, 10:52 PM
Cheapest would be USB crossover cable (Dick Smith have them)
The modems cannot talk to each other without a telephone exchange system between them

mikep
12-09-2002, 11:50 PM
There is another way called Fastlynx that's not really a network, but rather a cable connection between 2 computers using the parallel or serial ports. The earliest I can remember it from is from back in 1992. It runs in a dos window & is restricted to the old 8+3 file naming system.

You can purchase the Data transfer cables from The warehouse Stationery for around $17 & if you search the net, you'll find the program somewhere, just look for fastlynx & find a file dated somewhere around 92-94, I'm sure you can get a free download from somewhere.

Another way is to use the Direct Cable Connection option in Windows. This uses the same Data Transfer Cable. Read your help files & follow the instructions. You'll have to have your Windows CD's at the ready though because it's not installed by default.

This type of transfer is slow, but it is very cheap it works. Mind you, I have had fun getting laptops & desktops to talk to each other & have had to resort back to a pure DOS environment. If you want to, I can give you a bootable floppy disk image that contains the files necessary to get the 2 computers talking to each other using this cable & running DOS. You'll have to download & install the free trial version of WinImage to decompress the floppy Image onto a floppy disk though.

If you choose to follow this advice, then I suggest you compress everything you want to transfer into a zip file & keep the file sizes to around 5Mb max. Reason for this is, if a machine goes to standby mode during a transfer, the connection can be lost, so smaller files help to keep the machine active.

Mike P

godfather
12-09-2002, 11:58 PM
But USB will give 10 Mb speed at low cost.
BUT this depends on the operating systems, for instance if either machine is running Windows 95 OSR2, it may have USB but it never worked well. Win 98 and later OK, but not NT

SoniKalien
13-09-2002, 12:21 AM
I got a cable from Dickies for $15 that networks via parallel port and the Direct Cable Connection (which is easy to set up) and comes with windoze

SiK

Ron Bakker
13-09-2002, 08:03 AM
I installed win98 purely for the usb problem I had with win95.
But will I need any software to get the bytes to go down the usb cable?

Thanks for the replys.

:D

SoniKalien
13-09-2002, 08:09 PM
I think so. AFAIK 'doze doesn't do USB via DCC.

Sorry, that probably don't make sense. I'll translate:

As far as I know, Windows 98 won't run Direct Cable Connection over the USB port. :D