PDA

View Full Version : A few questions on CPU's

fergie
12-09-2002, 06:54 PM
Hi,
I have a few questions on CPUs
1. hat is the difference between a Intel Celeron 1Ghz, and a Intel P3 1Ghz (apart from $200 price difference :p ) is it the amount ofcache or performance?
2. what is the diff between an AMD Duron 1.3Ghz and a AMD Athlon 1.3ghz is it same reason as intel one?
3. Also, what type of slot/socket is a AMD duron? AMD athlon? Intel P3? And an Intel Celeron?
4. Would an athlon cpu chip work on an AMD duron motherboard?
5. What is the lowest speed AMD athlon made?
6 Does cache really make a difference? What is it useful for (eg games)
and last Q.
7 Are Durons and Celerons any good? Im really getting a computer for games, but I dont want to spend to much.

thanks

Orac
12-09-2002, 07:24 PM
Well Ill start the ball rolling.

Esentially Intel celerons are Intel p3s that never made the grade. They were heavly striped if their caches and their bus speeds where reduced.
Marketed as a budget chip they preform ok but lack the punch of there bigger brothers. AMD brought out the Duron to compete at buget level with Intel. There preformances are about even.

As AMDs use the same socket a decent motherboard will support both Durons and Athalon. And i believe 800 was the slowest chip made.(But not 100% sure)

Cache makes a huge difference more is better at both levels

Celerons and Durons are both respectable chips in there own right though if your a serious gamer. The biggest meanest fastest processor you can afford strapped with a serious video card is the only way to go

==orac==

tweak\'e
12-09-2002, 07:56 PM
celerons are cut doen ver of either p3 or p4.

duron is a good cheap cpu.

duron and atho use socket A while the latest celeron and p4 uses socket 478 (don't quote me on that)

as far as buying goes it all comes down to how fast you NEED to go and how FAT your wallet is.

duron with ddr ram with a decent video card. when you can afford it later on you can upgrade to atho.

fergie
13-09-2002, 05:42 PM
thanks for tha answers - just one more Q - what is the lowest Duron chip speed available?
Cheers

tweak\'e
13-09-2002, 05:53 PM
it all comes down who's got what at what price.

i think currently proberly a 900mhz unless someone still has older stock. (new cpus)

just be aware it may only cost a few dollars more to go up to the mext cpu.

unless you are on a really tight budget i normally try to buy what gives you the most mhz for the $$$.

fergie
13-09-2002, 06:14 PM
ok - heres what i'm doing

I need a computer in the by next month, but as i don't have much $$$ at moment, i got to buy 2nd hand.
So i've been looking at TradeMe.
But what i want to do, is get a cheap computer now (i have a max of $750 to spend on it) and over time, upgrade it a bit (bigger HDD, DVD, faster vid-card, more RAM etc) and as i won't get a very fast CPU at the moment, i thought that i'd be able to upgrade it in the future (thats y all Q's)
so really all i need @ moment is a computer with 5GB HDD, CD-ROM, and a good motherboard.
Any suggestions??
Thanks in advance.