PDA

View Full Version : Multiple network settings ... is there a simple solution for Win98?

nzjeff
12-09-2002, 12:24 PM
Hi folks!

My laptop runs Win98 & I logon to a server at work with a username, workgroup and domain setting. My Client for Microsoft Networks is setup with 'logon using NT Domain' and TCP/IP settings include DNS and WINS configurations.

Now I've just bought a usb-usb network cable to connect the laptop to my home desktop (also running Win98). However I've found I need to disable the Domain, DNS and WINS configurations to use the USB-USB networking ... then reset them again at work. This wastes time and I wondered is there a quick way to logon to each network without stuffing around with configurations?

I know diddly-squat about networking (eg I have no idea what DNS and WINS settings actually do!).

Grateful for any help :-)

Best regards
Jeff Smith

Chilling_Silence
12-09-2002, 04:20 PM
I know that I can use it like normal even with my laptop set-up to use a domain(Win2K though!), try deleting the Domain upon boot and see what that does.
Otherwise, AFAIK, it's change each time for you!

Chilling_Silence

Gorela
12-09-2002, 09:32 PM
You could try changing the Primary Network Logon to "Windows Logon". This should stop your computer from trying to logon to the network servers which aren't accessible from your home.

Basically a Domain Name Server and Win Server help to reduce unnecessary network chatter by having all computers on the network get info about other computers from the server rather than broadcasting.