PDA

View Full Version : Java or Microsoft Virtual Machine?

nzwalkabout
12-09-2002, 11:13 AM
I am running XP and every now and then I hit a site that says for me to get/download the Java Virtual Machine to run some Java stuff on the website. So I try to download it but get linked to Microsoft who say they don't support it??

Now I believe there is a Java and Microsoft Virtual Machine, which should I get?? and where do I download them from (links)?? I can't find them.

thanks

baldynz
12-09-2002, 11:27 AM
try this, for some reason sun and microsoft dont get on....
http://www.sun.com/
you should find what your looking for there....

nzwalkabout
12-09-2002, 11:57 AM
Thanks for that, but I am still lost. I am struggling to find the virtual machine at Suns website (I must be going blind) I searched for it in the download section but nothing that sounds like what I need popped up. Any one with a direct link?

Also, by going with Java's VM, is that better than Microsofts VM? Thanks

godfather
12-09-2002, 12:02 PM
Get it from here (http://java.sun.com/getjava/download.html)

Mike
12-09-2002, 01:41 PM
You can get Microsoft's Virtual Machine from here. You might want to rename the file after you've downloaded it though, to something easier to recognise :) This link is to the program file on the Microsoft website - I just checked it, it works. I've also downloaded it recently on Win XP Pro and it seems to work.

Mike.

Chilling_Silence
12-09-2002, 02:38 PM
This is becoming a frequent thing, If you search for Java Virtual Machine, there's a good post with one or two links. These look good also.
Maybe this should be a FAQ Candidate?!

bmason
12-09-2002, 05:21 PM
The MS one is Java v1.1, while the Sun one is v1.4. There are lot more improvements between them than the version numbers imply.

MS aren't allowed to develop their JVM anymore because they broke a licensing agreement with Sun. AFAIK they are still allowed to distribute the old version, but didn't include it with XP because they were in a bad mood after loosing the court case.

nzwalkabout
12-09-2002, 10:42 PM
Ok, well I have already downloaded MS VM because it was quicker to download but now it sounds as if the Java VM is better, am I correct in saying this?

How do I remove the MS VM as its not in the add/remove section? thanks

Mike
12-09-2002, 10:46 PM
You will probably never notice any difference.

Mike.

bmason
14-09-2002, 04:32 PM
You probably won't notice too much difference with simple applets because most sites are written so they will work with the MS VM because it so common.

Its probably not worth upgrading unless you are concerned about security (the MS one has a lot more vulnerabilities than the Sun one).

To remove the MS VM I think it is listed under the Windows Setup tab in Add/Remove programmes for Windows 9x, but I don't know about XP.

Mike
14-09-2002, 05:31 PM
> (the MS one has a lot more
> vulnerabilities than the Sun one).

do you think that that's still a problem? I thought most/all the security problems that were found in MSVM had been fixed? I also thought that most of the vulnerabilities in MSVM were also found in the Sun Java package.

Mike.