PDA

View Full Version : surfing with konqueror, new window in Kedit :(

Clueless
11-09-2002, 03:40 AM
i've decided that the favorite web browser on my wonderful linux box is konqueror, apart from one small glitch.
Any attempt to follow a link on a page, opens that link in kedit, which is great for checking the code of the page, but otherwise a pain in the preverbal. Is there a way of changing this?

suse 8.0
Clueless :)

Graham L
11-09-2002, 05:57 PM
From my total ignorance of Konqueror, I can make the confident assertion that there is a way to fix this. :D It is obviously an option which has the wrong action selected.

Have a browse around the toolbar buttons and look at their menus. There will be an option with something like "Open with ...", perhaps associated with "Open in new window" ... etc.

If all else fails, is there a "Help" button, Chris? I know it's you hiding behind an innocent looking name. ]:)

Chris Wilson
11-09-2002, 06:10 PM
Actually i worked this out this morning, but was too embarressed to post my own solution...........

i got to kedit by right clicking on a link, and slecting "new window"...
if i middle click on a link, it opens in a new konqueror window, and if thats how the page is written, newpages work perfectly, and automaticly

>>From my total ignorance of Konqueror?????

whoa, i'm surprised...
almost as surprised in what a powerful little unknown web browser that came as built in, it's not only fast, but even has most of the formatting tricks supported, such as colored scroll bars (Linux style, of course)

BTW, "Clueless", is the profile i use from from Sam, as thats how i have often felt, in this still unfamiliar enviroment.

but the thing i like is the stability, i have to reboot my 'doze box all the time, every other day in fact at best, but Sam on the other hand went down for the first time yeaterday. Sams brain was moved to under the bench. The move involved changing the power cord, hence 5 minutes of downtime...

Graham L
11-09-2002, 06:42 PM
"I might know it all, but I'm not bloody omniscient". :D

The stability is a great thing. But that used to be the standard. A computer was expected to work. There was a saying "If you can measure the failure rate, it's too high".

I don't think that Burroughs or IBM ever sent out a patch to fix a software fault which caused an OS to die after 47.8 days running.

I fear that the stability might drop as people improve Linux and try to make it more user-friendly and have more features. If it gets too like Windows, look out. Your server should not have the GUI running normally: it just uses memory and a little bit of CPU. My main server has a keyboard and monitor shared through a switch with another box. I can do anything that needs to be done on it from any machine on my network.