PDA

View Full Version : Inbox Sharing

Googe
10-09-2002, 09:09 PM
Hi Everybody,
I have 2 pcs runing XP and connected together on a lan, I have internet sharing Running and both PCs share an e-mail account with Xtra, The problem is, Is if PC 2 check e-mail and downloads it then when PC1 checks for email i cant see what the other pc has download which mean i could miss an important e-mail, Is it possible to share and inbox over a LAN without mapping a drive Or what is the best way to do this.

godfather
10-09-2002, 09:26 PM
Not easily I dont think, particularly as we don't know what program you are using.

Easiest and cheapest way is to set both machines to "leave mail on server" and delete mail after (x) days off server.

Or, you could install a full Window 2000 server and associated systems, if you have a few spare thousands you dont need...

Chris Wilson
10-09-2002, 09:28 PM
to the best of my knowledge, it is not possible to share an inbox over a network with OE..

however if you go to tools > options > maintanance > storefolder > and try to browse through to the store folder on the other machine (find.dbx will give you a clue where to look) you may prove me wrong. My opinion is only based on heresay, and it won't hurt to try..

let us know how you got on.

BTW this works no problem at all, using similar tecniques with netscape!

Jim B
10-09-2002, 09:55 PM
Keep it simple for yourself and set both mail programs to leave mail on server as suggested by godfather.
This is one of the reasons for this option being there.

wotz
10-09-2002, 10:08 PM
How about setting up an alias email address and setting a rule on each machine to only d/l your own email, leaving the other person's on the server for them to d/l.

Jim B
10-09-2002, 10:22 PM
The way I read it they both want to read all mail that comes in otherwise they would be using seperate email addresses.

DavidW
10-09-2002, 11:17 PM
I recently did a windows/outlook 200 reinstall on computer B and forgot to reset the 'leave messages on server for x days'. With 2 computers on the network I realised A was not getting recently downloaded emails.
I then imported the inbox from B while in outlook in A from the B computers \windows\local settings\application data\microsoft\outlook\outlook.pst file. There was an option 'do not import duplicates' so only the missing ones were imported. Worked but what a complicated email system outlook has! David

PeebZ
11-09-2002, 12:01 AM
Evening Googe,

I run a small home network (2 machines on Xp and 1 on win98).
The point to this was Yes I share the inbox. I use Outlook Xp, but the principles would be the same save on earlier versions of outlook and outlook express.

To help step you through this I will need to know your e-mail client.

Just one thing on the e-mail inbox sharing, only one pc can open the inbox at one time, but is thats ok then post the needed info I / we'll help you out

Jess

Googe
11-09-2002, 09:50 PM
Thanks for replying,

Im not sure what you mean by email client, Im running my email through xtra with outlook express, I do have outlook 2000 but dont use it, Im running 2 pc over the lan ,both are running windows xp

I hope this has answered your question, if not please reply,

thanks again

James Cuttance

PS I dont need to access the inbox from both PCs at the same time so that wont be a problem.

Chilling_Silence
12-09-2002, 10:35 AM
This is a fairly easy one to do actually
I did it using different logins in Win2K, On Administrator and one Guest.
Firstly, Make directory on the Host PC called E-Mail on the C-Drive
Now, Load up Outlook Express.
Goto:
Tools
- Options
Select the Maintenance Tab
Click on Store Folder and select that folder.
Do the same on the other computer, only make sure it's pointed across the network (You won't need to re-make the folder on the Host's C-Drive)
That's it, nice and easy!
Worked for me at least, let me know how you get on
Chilling_Silence