PDA

View Full Version : Networking Problem

Scottie
10-09-2002, 06:07 PM
Hi All, just wondering if you could help me with a network problem that i have incurred while setting up my first network at home.

The problem is that when i try to ping the other computer it comes back with "request timed out."

I am running windows 98.

Do you have any suggestions?

Thanks.

Graham L
10-09-2002, 06:12 PM
That means that you are not networked. ;-) Check that the IP addresses are different, (but only in the last "dot group". Then remove and reinstall the local networking. It's [probbaly best to remove both, then start reinstalling. Follow all the instructions carefully ...

Big John
10-09-2002, 06:54 PM
Make sure that you have any firewall software enabled to allow the machine you are pinging from to see it. A common problem with XP.

Orac
10-09-2002, 09:13 PM
Another thing also is to check your using the correct cable.If you are only connecting 2 machines without a hub/switch make sure you have a "crossover" cable and not a "patch" cable.
There should be a "led" on the face plate of the networks cards. These should switch on when you plug the cable in to indicate a "link".

If the above is correct then also check that both cards are set to the same speed. Normally they are set to "auto detect" But sometimes....

==orac==

Graham L
11-09-2002, 05:42 PM
A wrong cable should give a different error message. Ping is trying, so there is a hardware connection. I think. ;-)

Chilling_Silence
11-09-2002, 06:15 PM
If the IP isn't being specified, then it might not be the average 192.168.0.2, run winipcfg to see