PDA

View Full Version : removing duplicate files.

matt
10-09-2002, 01:05 PM
gidday, i have just run a scan on my puter for duplicate files and it has come up with 1147 duplicates. how can i determine if it is safe to remove these. some are marked a critical so i wont touch them, but all the others appear to be identical the only difference being their location.
Obviously i will gain some disc space by removing them, will there be any affect on system performance by removing duplicate files. Maybe i will be better to leave them alone but i am a compulsive tweaker and maintenance head. (more power!)
all and any feedback much appreciated
matt

Terry Porritt
10-09-2002, 01:40 PM
Best to leave well alone, else your system may/will end up in strife. Many files will be of the form readme.doc or similar as many programs will have files like that of the same name. Also never delete duplicate .dll system files, not only are there these in both the system folder and a backup folder but may also exist in program folders, and they may also be different versions.
Why some of these cleanup utils have this facility, I dont know, its just a trap for the unwary. For those that know whats what there are other ways of finding duplicates.

Susan B
10-09-2002, 06:28 PM
I know what you mean. I'm also a fiddler and neatnik and I used one of those programs not long ago to weed out my own data file duplicates but it gave me the whole works instead and I was shocked at the quantity of them.

Looking closer though, like you say the difference is only in their locations. From past experience it is not a Good Idea to remove them unless you don't care that your programs may no longer work properly.

Just shut your eyes and ignore them. :-)

D_D
10-08-2006, 10:05 PM
[edit: spam removed]