PDA

View Full Version : WinWOrd is Stuffed!!

hayds
09-09-2002, 08:56 PM
Hi guys, I need some help. I have word 2000 on my Pentium III 533 running win 98. I have had no probs until now. Ok heres the deal. I try and open a word doc, or even word itself but my computer tells me that system resources are dangerously low and then I cant open any thing else it tells me I have not enough memory and stuff. I have down a reinstalll of windows and word- nothing. I shut down heaps of apps- nothing. I have downloaded the latest updates for norton antivirus and still nothing.

I need some help please!!

any thing would be great.

Thanks.

hayds

Mike
09-09-2002, 09:00 PM
You say you did a reinstall of windows - did you install over the top, or did you format your drive completely before the reinstall?

Mike.

parry
09-09-2002, 09:10 PM
Evening Hayds. Are you only having problems when you open Word or are you getting errors about low resources when you pretty much do anything. Also advise if you have recently installed any programs and what they were.

cheers
Parry

Stumped Badly
09-09-2002, 09:34 PM
The most likely cause of this is your "Normal.dot" template is corrupted.
Restart your computer.

Go>Start>Run & type in winword.exe /a

"Note the space before the forward slash!
If you miss out that space, you'll get an error message such as: “Cannot find the file ‘winword.exe/a’ or one of its components”.

If word opens ok then do the following:

Open My Computer>Tools>Folder Options & select the View tab.
Make sure "Show hidden files & folders has a dot in it. Close the dialogue box down, Close My Computer.

Go>Start>Find & type in Normal.dot
Make sure My Computer is in the where to look field.
The process will find screeds of "Normal" files & folders.
The only ones you are interested in are named Normal.dot

You are only supposed to have one, so if you have more delete the oldest ones & right click on the one that is left & rename to Normal.old
A warning message will appear, just click OK.
Get out of all boxes & return to your desktop & open Word.

All should be fine now.
If not post back as it might be a corrupted registry setting.

hayds
10-09-2002, 08:35 AM
Thanks man for your help-

It turns out you were right on the money with the remedy for my babies sickness.

I did what you said and everything is sweet now. One more question- there is a word template that looks like this '~$normal' in my windows-app data-microsoft templates folder as weel as the newest one you told me to rename. Should I delete this one also?

Mike
10-09-2002, 08:40 AM
There will be one if you have Word open while you're looking in that folder - Word creates temporary files like this whenever it opens a Document or Template. If you close Word it should disappear.

However if Word isn't open when you are looking in the folder, then it will be safe to delete it.

Mike.

Stumped Badly
10-09-2002, 12:12 PM
Your welcome & Mike is on the money ~Normal is a temp file & can be deleted, but it won't do any harm if left.
In fact if you type ~.* at the find files box a few will probably appear & they can all be safely deleted.
A better option is Web Roots Window washer which does a great job of cleaning up the hundreds of temp & backup files MS Office seems to make.
Do a google search & download the trial version.
It also cleans out hundreds of other bits of junk lurking in the corners of your system.

Stumped Badly
10-09-2002, 08:37 PM
Oops that should read ~*.*