PDA

View Full Version : Pathetic cache speed

Jen C
09-09-2002, 07:21 PM
Hi Guys,
I went off and visited PC Pitstop to do a check on my PC and got a red flag for my hard drive :-( . The report said:

cached speed 92.79 MB/s (62%)
uncached speec 5.21 MB/s (126%)

My PC has been behaving OK but the Morrowind game I am playing is a bit sluggish (I put this down to the high specs required which I do meet - just). Is this cached speed anything to worry about?

933 MHz P3 processor, 384 MB RAM, 19 GB HD (74% free), WinME, level 1 cache 32 KB, level 2 cache 256 KB ....... anything else you need to know?

Thanks muchly in advance!

Jen

godfather
09-09-2002, 08:23 PM
Unless you have a high speed internet connection (Jetstream) I wouldnt put much faith in the test results, as lag in the connection would be far more of a factor in the program result than the drive.

Of course you could keep fixing it until its broken....

Jen C
09-09-2002, 08:36 PM
Thanks godfather! I'm on dial-up. <breathes sigh of relief>

I have previously learnt my lesson on "keep fixing it until its broken" and try not to go there again :-)

BIFF
09-09-2002, 08:41 PM
PC 'hitStop is famous for it's completely wrong HDD performance measurement. Try something like ATTO, part of the ATTO ExpressPCI HostAdapter Utilities suite available here:
http://www.attotech.com/software/appname.html (put any address in the e-mail address field to download)
When benchmarking select Overlapped I/O for an accurate measurement of your HDD performance.
Leave the rest of the options on their defaults.

Jen C
09-09-2002, 09:26 PM
Thanks for the link BIFF. I downloaded the program but wasn't able to select Overlapped I/O as that option is not available for Win9x (I have ME). I ran it with I/O Comparison selected and then with neither and both came up squeaky clean :D (I shall sleep well tonight)

Cheers
Jen